Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a way, I'm rediscovering all of my lenses and a bunch of new "friends"

I stopped using my film camera about 4 years ago - shot some B&W and it cost the earth to process as now most labs have ceased such processing around here. But a recent inheritance of a friend's Pentax equipment after he passed away has rekindled things for me, (My 80-200 is better, his 28-80 looks better than mine, and I gain a 500mm etc.) and made me want to get out there again.

Both brothers-in-law are photographers - one has Canon equipment and does weddings etc on the side, and just has a couple of zooms, the other one just does it for pleasure, but the "amateur" one has the better eye and more passion for getting a great shot, IMHO, and the better lens collection. He's a Pentax guy too, and has 2 K-1000's - one he keeps B&W in, and the other colour film, and will not go auto and definitely won't go digital.

Thankfully with growing up with these guys, my wife fully understands why I want to keep all this equipment and loves the resulting images. And the bargain I struck with my friend's family is that I won't ever sell "his" stuff - I'm glad to honour this.

Never thought a piece of metal and glass could almost bring him back, Not to get too sentimental here, but it's feels like he's with me when I shoot.

02-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
In a way, I'm rediscovering all of my lenses and a bunch of new "friends"

I stopped using my film camera about 4 years ago - shot some B&W and it cost the earth to process as now most labs have ceased such processing around here. But a recent inheritance of a friend's Pentax equipment after he passed away has rekindled things for me, (My 80-200 is better, his 28-80 looks better than mine, and I gain a 500mm etc.) and made me want to get out there again.

Both brothers-in-law are photographers - one has Canon equipment and does weddings etc on the side, and just has a couple of zooms, the other one just does it for pleasure, but the "amateur" one has the better eye and more passion for getting a great shot, IMHO, and the better lens collection. He's a Pentax guy too, and has 2 K-1000's - one he keeps B&W in, and the other colour film, and will not go auto and definitely won't go digital.

Thankfully with growing up with these guys, my wife fully understands why I want to keep all this equipment and loves the resulting images. And the bargain I struck with my friend's family is that I won't ever sell "his" stuff - I'm glad to honour this.

Never thought a piece of metal and glass could almost bring him back, Not to get too sentimental here, but it's feels like he's with me when I shoot.
Thanks for this

Randy
02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I do plan to go to to the amish rally this year. It's a long ride for me, but I'll be there. Are you in the area?

Charles.
I guess by the "area" you mean Canada, well yes
Maybe we can meet along somewhere near the east.
I really need to find a Canadian to travel with me as I am a bit nervous to go that far away on my own

Randy
05-29-2018, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good To Be Back

It's so nice to be able to use my favourite focal length for "street work" again, heralded by the return of FF with the K1.

My "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8), who is both small and a discreet "Lady".

06-23-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Note To Self

Must use "Deviate Lady" (Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift) more often, just a quick play here.

Shifted 11mm left then right, both images then merged in LR.

06-23-2019, 06:21 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Old Style Image

"Deviate Lady" (Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift) with 6mm of shift, some added grain and Gold split tone treatment.

Spare time and idle hands... this is what happens...

06-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Pick Up Auto Transmission Bokeh

I've just got too much time on my hands between jobs...

06-27-2019, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A Leafy Court

A wee retreat in the middle of a town... it pays to keep eyes open all around.

04-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #24

Looks like it's been a while since anyone posted here! - If this is the wrong section, by all means admins, please move this to where it ought to be, I was unsure where to post this but after searching for this lens on the site and not finding anything, I wanted to share a bit.

Komura 28mm F2.5 w/all metal hood in Pentax-K

Here is the lens and a few up-close samples taken with it of my dogs on a KS-2.

The reason this lens is on a KS-2 is because its aperture does not function on the other cams I tried, so I'm leaving it where it sits, I tested it on my K10D and K20D and it worked on those as well but no on my K3 or K5 and I have not tested on K1 yet.

This lens is realistically an F4 lens, at 2.5 it gives everything a 1980's halo/soft effect, some might like it, I do not and so its an F4 to me - unfortunately, but, at f4 it appears pretty sharp and it gets better from there from what I've seen so far.

This lens has a ring you can see in the images in front of the aperture ring, if this is turned clockwise (facing the camera) it will decouple the lens in half, or, more accurately the actual lens will decouple from this PK rear section - I have no idea what system this is, if anyone knows, by all means, tell me, I've never seen it before, very odd, nearly broke the lens because it wasn't tightened down well on mine and I thought it was a function of some kind and turned it - oops - good thing I'm quick!.

Edit: Images of dogs are 100% crops taken straight from camera jpegs, no editing, natural picture settings - from K-S2

Images of lens were taken with a K20D and a kit 18-55 - My benchtop ebay camera!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by junkbench; 04-06-2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Because I'm sometimes slow...