Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
P.S. Sure it adds about an inch to the lens but worth it to me for the protection.
I'm with you on this one, Freddy. I have UV filters on all my lenses for protection. I just feel more comfortable that way. Many choose not to use them and that is their right. Whatever makes you happy.

07-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #497

metal lens hood fror DA35mm plastic fantastic. No problem. Order from Amazon: Rainbow imaging MM49 $7.99. for the 49mm hood. Then I screwed onto the OUTSIDE of the lens hood a Hoya 58mm UV lens filter. Just, really to give it extra protection for the lens.
Both of those fit like a glove. I never take it off. Any of my DA35 shots taken and shown here were using that combo. Freddy P.S. Once in a while I clean off the UV filter with a good quality lens cloth. Freddy
P.S. Sure it adds about an inch to the lens but worth it to me for the protection.
Wow I'll definitely look into getting that one. One thing though, will I be able to use the stock lens cap with that hood?
I'm currently looking at this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41350-REG/Pentax_34260_49mm_Round_Rubber_Lens.html which looks promising since it can leave the lens hood on when not in use. It's just that it's a bit pricy for $15. Does anyone know of a similar hood that where you can leave your cap on?
07-26-2014, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by christiantypet Quote
Wow I'll definitely look into getting that one. One thing though, will I be able to use the stock lens cap with that hood?
I'm currently looking at this one: Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video which looks promising since it can leave the lens hood on when not in use. It's just that it's a bit pricy for $15. Does anyone know of a similar hood that where you can leave your cap on?
Christiantypet. I tried fitting a lens cap over the filter but there's no place for it. I feel comfortable not using a lens cap bcause the hood and filter provide plenty of protection, in my opinion. Also, the combo hood and filter are so much more convenient because I never have to take them off.
Taking the hood and filter off might tend to strip or jam the delicate threads of these two items, so I wouldn't want to spoil a good thing. Freddy
07-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello ! I've just discovered this thread and I thought it's time for me to jump in. This little gem of a lens was my favorite for quite some time when I started photography as a hobby, more than one year ago. Got a Pentax K5 and for I while I've been using only this lens and the kit. Truly amazing lens for the money, unfortunately nowadays he's facing a tough competitor in the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art which I also have. But still, here are some of my first shots with this lens.

Herastrau Park

Kitten in Herastrau Park

07-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by christiantypet Quote
I'm currently looking at this one: B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders which looks promising since it can leave the lens hood on when not in use. It's just that it's a bit pricy for $15. Does anyone know of a similar hood that where you can leave your cap on?
I think a lot of rubber hoods have filter threads on the end. And you can find them on ebay from $5, just find the most reputable store
And I use a JJC squre hood, a copy of the PH-SA49. Gor it for 7euro, but they usually go for 12euro. The official one is over 30euro..
07-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Hello ! I've just discovered this thread and I thought it's time for me to jump in. This little gem of a lens was my favorite for quite some time when I started photography as a hobby, more than one year ago. Got a Pentax K5 and for I while I've been using only this lens and the kit. Truly amazing lens for the money, unfortunately nowadays he's facing a tough competitor in the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art which I also have. But still, here are some of my first shots with this lens.

Herastrau Park

Kitten in Herastrau Park
These are really nice shots, Hattif. Make two columns one for each lens. List the benefits of each lens .Check off the column has the benefits you find are the best. Like: IQ, Bokeh, low light performance, ease of use, and whatever column gives you the best check the box for that lens.
Winner = the lens with the most positive qualities. Freddy P.S. if one lens does something the other lens just can't do, then keep both lenses.
07-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #502
Pentaxian

These are really nice shots, Hattif. Make two columns one for each lens. List the benefits of each lens .Check off the column has the benefits you find are the best. Like: IQ, Bokeh, low light performance, ease of use, and whatever column gives you the best check the box for that lens. Winner = the lens with the most positive qualities. Freddy P.S. if one lens does something the other lens just can't do, then keep both lenses.
Thank you Freddy!

A very quick comparison looks like this:

IQ, bokeh, sharpness, low light performance: Sigma wins all, although the difference is not as huge as you would expect considering the price difference. The plastic wonder can play with the big boys!

Ease of use: here the Sigma at 665g is no match for the small and featherlight Pentax lens which is really a joy to use. Also, there is "fear-of-dropping" factor that comes into play. I don't have tons of money so I tend to be much more careful with an expensive lens, and because of that sometimes I miss some good shots.

Post processing: advantage goes to DA 35, I haven't been able to find a correction profile for Sigma to use in Lightroom. I could make my own but it will take some hours and work to make it properly and I'm lazy.

Autofocus: The Pentax lens does slightly better, but could be just my impression. Maybe the Sigma needs calibrated or maybe it's more difficult to nail the focus at fast apertures like f/1.4. Considering that I'm using it a lot at fast apertures, it has a higher chance to miss the focus I guess.

FF: Sigma is FF lens, who knows, maybe in the future Pentax will indeed release a FF camera.

Looks: Sometimes size does matter, I know it's stupid but you look more "pro" with the Sigma. My first model knew nothing about photography but she was concerned about the size of K5 + DA35. She got more confident when I started to use the Sigma.

I decided to keep both lenses. I do a lot of hiking and I'm always taking the 15mm Limited with me for landscapes, but during those hikes if I want to take a quick portrait of some friend, the DA35 makes a much better pair with the DA15 as they are both very small. Carrying the Sigma lens with me would hurt my backpack, not to mention chances of damaging it. But I also do a lot of pictures in places with bad low light conditions (pubs, bars etc.) and then I always take the Sigma, although the DA35 does very well wide open too. But Sigma is almost 2 stops faster.

There is the emotional factor also, I love my DA35 so I don't want to sell it
07-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Freddy!

IQ, bokeh, sharpness, low light performance: Sigma wins all, although the difference is not as huge as you would expect considering the price difference. The plastic wonder can play with the big boys!

Ease of use: here the Sigma at 665g is no match for the small and featherlight Pentax lens which is really a joy to use. Also, there is "fear-of-dropping" factor that comes into play. I don't have tons of money so I tend to be much more careful with an expensive lens, and because of that sometimes I miss some good shots.

Post processing: advantage goes to DA 35, I haven't been able to find a correction profile for Sigma to use in Lightroom. I could make my own but it will take some hours and work to make it properly and I'm lazy.

Autofocus: The Pentax lens does slightly better, but could be just my impression. Maybe the Sigma needs calibrated or maybe it's more difficult to nail the focus at fast apertures like f/1.4. Considering that I'm using it a lot at fast apertures, it has a higher chance to miss the focus I guess.

FF: Sigma is FF lens, who knows, maybe in the future Pentax will indeed release a FF camera.

Looks: Sometimes size does matter, I know it's stupid but you look more "pro" with the Sigma. My first model knew nothing about photography but she was concerned about the size of K5 + DA35. She got more confident when I started to use the Sigma.

I decided to keep both lenses. I do a lot of hiking and I'm always taking the 15mm Limited with me for landscapes, but during those hikes if I want to take a quick portrait of some friend, the DA35 makes a much better pair with the DA15 as they are both very small. Carrying the Sigma lens with me would hurt my backpack, not to mention chances of damaging it. But I also do a lot of pictures in places with bad low light conditions (pubs, bars etc.) and then I always take the Sigma, although the DA35 does very well wide open too. But Sigma is almost 2 stops faster.

Just FYI - The DA 35/2.4 works on film full frame.

See Falk Lumo's thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html

07-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #504
Pentaxian

Thank you Freddy!

Hattiffnat, thanks for the interesting analysis. So, there's a place for both lenses. I'm happy enough with my plastic 35 so could not justify paying a big tab for the Sigma. I already have the Sigma 50 EX macro, which I like very much. That's my favorite lens for flowers, macro, etc. It focuses down to 4". Freddy
07-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just FYI - The DA 35/2.4 works on film full frame. See Falk Lumo's thread : DA lens on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Yes indeed it seems - I have no idea about that. One more reason to keep my DA35
07-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #506
Pentaxian

Hattiffnat, thanks for the interesting analysis. So, there's a place for both lenses. I'm happy enough with my plastic 35 so could not justify paying a big tab for the Sigma. I already have the Sigma 50 EX macro, which I like very much. That's my favorite lens for flowers, macro, etc. It focuses down to 4". Freddy
Hattifnatt, Talking about love. Some day I will buy the plastic 50. Just because I will be able to afford it and, I know I will love it!! Freddy
07-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #507
Pentaxian

I've heard the plastic 50 is very good also !!

Some other photos with the plastic wonder:

Old man and his dog, Circus Park

Circus Park
07-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #508
Pentaxian

I've heard the plastic 50 is very good also !!

Some other photos with the plastic wonder:

Old man and his dog, Circus Park

Circus Park
Hatti, you're really cranking out lots of really nice shots. I love this swamp shot. Freddy
08-19-2014, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #509
Pentaxian

Hatti, you're really cranking out lots of really nice shots. I love this swamp shot. Freddy
10x Freddy! some from my staying in Austria:

Hainburg an der Donau: Braunsberg
08-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #510
Pentaxian

10x Freddy! some from my staying in Austria:

Hainburg an der Donau: Braunsberg
Amazing landscape shot from the amazing 35, Hatti.
I'm taking my 35mm on K30 body on a wedding cruise this weekend. The boat is very well lit so I won't even need a flash. I know the 35 shots will
be better than the 40mm ltd I used a few years ago at a sweet sixteen party (of course I had to use a flash for most of the 40mm shots on my K100D)
I sold the 40mm because I just enjoy using the 35 more. Cheers, Freddy