Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Just acquired this lens, and aI find it soft when the light is low,is it normal ?
Yeah, as people said - dark photos are never as good. High ISO increases noise and decreases detail; low f-number decreases DoF, making anything except the little in-focus part seem soft; slow shutter speed means handshake blur becomes apparent. And if there is not enough light, things simply won't show up. Photography is all about light, so you have to make sure you have enough light to get the details that you want. This is why so many photographers use lights and reflectors even in daylight, this is why flash is so blindingly strong, this is why studios are so bright. Human eyes automatically adjust in low light, so it seems "bright" to us, but a camera is different. Anyway, work on your handholding and stance or better yet, use a tripod, use 2 sec timer (so your trigger finger doesn't introduce blur), use a low ISO, use f4 - f8 for good night time photos. Here is a night time photo I took with DA 35mm. It is sharp enough, but it was difficult to take: Weimarer Schlossturm - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Even in daylight the DoF can be shallow if you focus near or use a wide aperture. The lens is still sharp and behaving exactly as it should, but it cannot be sharp in the out of focus areas.

forest log

11-30-2014, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #632
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But... you don't always have to raise the ISO in low light.

Luminary

11-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #633
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Yep, depends on skill, technique and equipment. Stunning photo!
11-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #634
Pentaxian

Luminary

That's a great long exposure ... bravo & TFS, J

12-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, depends on skill, technique and equipment. Stunning photo!
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That's a great long exposure ... bravo & TFS, J
Thank you both.
12-02-2014, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #636
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
12-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #637
Pentaxian

a few more...

12-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #638

Luminary

Gorgeous work!!
12-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #639
Veteran Member

Luminary

agreed, but i rarely have the tripod with me, I need to plan for these shots. Excellent shot and great exposure (afew years ago I played around with Night HDRs in mid winter they were nice but cold to make (skies are so clear and crisp when the weather is cold though)
12-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by london.paul1 Quote
Gorgeous work!!
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Excellent shot and great exposure
Thank you both.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
agreed, but i rarely have the tripod with me, I need to plan for these shots.
I always have the tripod with me, always. Once was pretty funny though, as I had the tripod as usual but I forgot to take the camera. Saw something nice and in the next second I was deploying the tripod, but... surprise surprise. Since there were people passing by I put on a bored face and pretended the shot was not so great anyway then slowly packed the tripod back.
12-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #641
Veteran Member

Thank you both.

I always have the tripod with me, always. Once was pretty funny though, as I had the tripod as usual but I forgot to take the camera. Saw something nice and in the next second I was deploying the tripod, but... surprise surprise. Since there were people passing by I put on a bored face and pretended the shot was not so great anyway then slowly packed the tripod back.
ahaha, that's too funny. Since my only tripod is an early 90s manfrotto 190 with a bulky 3 way head I have to plan to take it, I need to get a quality small one that will fit in the bottom of a bag but don't want to spend the money lol
I picked up a 2-8 stop variable ND so I imagine the tripod will coming along on more walks
12-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple with the DA 35mm.

12-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #643

Hello there,
I'm new to this forum and also a recent owner of this lense.
I'll go a bit off topic with my post, but i'd like to hear some advice from you.

I'd like to enjoy my new lense as much as you do, but i'm in a sort of photography crisis.
I have no inspiration, no ideas at the moment. I must say that the weather and the night falling really early doesn't help.

But i'm posting this in case you have some tips to help me get out this unproductive period.

Thanks in advance.

Meg4mi
12-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Hello there,
I'll go a bit off topic with my post, but i'd like to hear some advice from you.

I'd like to enjoy my new lense as much as you do, but i'm in a sort of photography crisis.
I have no inspiration, no ideas at the moment. I must say that the weather and the night falling really early doesn't help.

But i'm posting this in case you have some tips to help me get out this unproductive period.

Thanks in advance.

Meg4mi
it's a fast enough lens you can do night shots hand held with most of the more modern bodies (SR helps in this - wish my fuji had it). last night walking the dog I probably shot 35-40 various images in the mist at 1030 at night, will PP them all tonight. Also get out and shoot the season its Christmas so lots of colour about
I do miss shooting in daylight (if I'm lucky i manage once a week to get out in the daylight hours with the camera)
the DA 35 is a fantastic little lens for shooting streets, landscapes and cityscapes and indoor portraits the 50mm or so equivalent FL is the most flexible of all. When I still had it I shot a lot with that lens (and I shoot a lot with my 35 1.4 now - and on film my most used was probably a 50

the one way to ensure you use it and build some inspiration is just take it everywhere (and I mean everywhere) I have a camera and usually a second lens with me at all times now. the one time i didn't recently i went to pick up my wife at work at 11pm and when i got there tthe street was full of steam and flashing lights there had been a steam pipe burst in the underground. I kicked myself over missing what would have been great shots
12-17-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Hello there,

Thanks in advance.

Meg4mi
Go out and shoot anyway. I remember one day last winter when I was walking around a downtown area near by my work and taking pictures and afterward I thought, what a waste of time. It was just one of those dark grey days, you know? I thought I wasn't going to keep a single picture, as they didn't impress me in the viewfinder. But later, when I started processing them, they turned out to be real gems... the keeper rate was actually better than usual!

There's a lot of things that don't need good weather to be shot... details, cars, urban scenes, landscapes actually work better when the weather is bad. And with Pentax it could even be raining a little bit and the only thing you have to worry about is you getting a cold

Not from that day, but here is the Plastic Fantastic doing fantastic black and white work again.