Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
These aren't among my first good shots with the little plastic widget, but are currently my favorites. On vacation in Peru, we stopped for lunch at a little picanterķa, and I still had the camera on my neck from taking pictures at a crafts festival. There weren't any artificial lights, only the sunlight peeking under the tin roof reflecting on the plastic tables. These are unmodified beyond sizing down for attachment.
I like the composition, sharpness and bokeh of both shots, particularly the beer bottle shot. I find the colors in both shots disturbing in that they are too yellow. It may be that the ambient light coming thru the windows or
from the inside lights were picking up colors reflected from some kind of tinted glass, or perhaps an awning over the window was affecting the color coming thru the glass.or the plastic yellow tables may have influenced
what the camera was perceiving. Just my 2 cents. Some viewers mught love the colors in the shots. I do love my plastic 35. It takes amazing pictures. A great little, lightweight walk-around lens. I would bet that the
festival shots you took are terrific. Freddy

04-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #332
Veteran Member

Some other shots with the plastic fantastic

04-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Some other shots with the plastic fantastic

fine work, Mtux. I'm seeing more and more examples of the plastic bokeh as time goes on. We're lucky to have this amazing little gem, aren't we. Freddy
04-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
fine work, Mtux. I'm seeing more and more examples of the plastic bokeh as time goes on. We're lucky to have this amazing little gem, aren't we. Freddy
Thanks,
Unfortunately, Bokeh out of this lens is just fine until f/2.8! beyond that it starts to get real funky and busy! And bokeh balls are hexagonal right from f/2.8!
The first shot here is wide open! and the third one is one of few acceptable bokehs I got out of this lens @ f/5.6!
In terms of bokeh, I love DA50!

04-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Thanks,
Unfortunately, Bokeh out of this lens is just fine until f/2.8! beyond that it starts to get real funky and busy! And bokeh balls are hexagonal right from f/2.8!
The first shot here is wide open! and the third one is one of few acceptable bokehs I got out of this lens @ f/5.6!
In terms of bokeh, I love DA50!
Thanks for the tip, Mtux. I'll set manual settings for 2.8 on my K30 using the 35mm. As for the DA50mm 1.8. I would love to own it but I'm waiting to see how my Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX macro lens works on the K30 with flower shots this spring.
If the increased IS0 and much higher resolution of my new K30 improves my shots: I'm hoping to see if my Sigma is worth keeping (Actually its a fine 1 to 1 lens but might work in marginal light better with the increased ISO of the Da50. and of course the
increased resolution will help when I show my shots on the computer desktop background. Does anyone have any ideas about how the Sigma might improve on the K30? Freddy
04-22-2014, 07:23 AM - 3 Likes   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Thanks for the tip, Mtux. I'll set manual settings for 2.8 on my K30 using the 35mm. As for the DA50mm 1.8. I would love to own it but I'm waiting to see how my Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX macro lens works on the K30 with flower shots this spring. If the increased IS0 and much higher resolution of my new K30 improves my shots: I'm hoping to see if my Sigma is worth keeping (Actually its a fine 1 to 1 lens but might work in marginal light better with the increased ISO of the Da50. and of course the increased resolution will help when I show my shots on the computer desktop background. Does anyone have any ideas about how the Sigma might improve on the K30? Freddy
Well, I have no experience with the Sigma, but for some time I had the DFA50mm macro lens, which was super sharp right from wide open. but then There was a good deal on DA50 and I jumped on it, later I sold the DFA50, because I had another macro lens, and enjoyed using the DA50 more. even though the DA50 is acceptable from f/2 and sharp from f/2.4 for me. but then it is cheaper and lighter.

Well, the Plastic fantastic is shining here
K30+DA35

04-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #337
Pentaxian

More plastic fantastic Da35mm

Here are some more shots I don't think I ever posted. Great little 35, I think. Freddy

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-22-2014, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Plastic Fantastic!

Wow, some beautiful examples of the best 'budget' prime around! I've been catching up on the last 3 pages or so and found several photos that display another quality of this fine lens. It has a very good rendering of strongly directional or dynamic lighting situations, without undue flare or other abberations.
Even with extreme light, it keeps a smooth, accurate tonal range and the modeling, texture and shadow detail holds up well.
Hard to explain, easy to see.Here's three samples that (hopefully) demonstrate what I mean;
The first and third used a CPL, all used a hood.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-22-2014, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Wow, some beautiful examples of the best 'budget' prime around! I've been catching up on the last 3 pages or so and found several photos that display another quality of this fine lens. It has a very good rendering of strongly directional or dynamic lighting situations, without undue flare or other abberations.
Even with extreme light, it keeps a smooth, accurate tonal range and the modeling, texture and shadow detail holds up well.
Hard to explain, easy to see.Here's three samples that (hopefully) demonstrate what I mean;
The first and third used a CPL, all used a hood.
Ron
Great series, Ron ... really like the second capture, bravo! J
04-22-2014, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #340
Pentaxian

Rebefly, very interesting shots with that 35. Middle shot has a cool mysterious quality making it very effective. The third shot is really elegant. Freddy
04-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #341
Pentaxian

It sure is shining with the sunlight coming thru the trees, Mtux. Great shot, from a fine lens. Freddy
04-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #342
Pentaxian

Another plastic 35 shot taken today by Freddy

Here's a shot I took today (cloudy) on my terrace , hand held f9 ISO 1600 Easter Lily. Freddy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #343
Veteran Member

This lens has spoiled me.

Last edited by bsamcash; 04-22-2014 at 05:09 PM.
04-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Thanks to John and Freddy, I'm glad I could contribute to this great thread.
One result of my using the new DA's (35mm + 50mm) so much, is that I almost never use my F 35-70mm zoom anymore. It's slower and honestly, not nearly as sharp as either prime. But it's still a handy, fun and useful walk-around lens, and I sort of miss the quirky little zoom.
Ron
04-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
This lens has spoiled me.
The second shot is lovely!