12-01-2017, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first multi exposure shot, showcasing two things I hold dear to my heart
Two of my favorite things.
12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is very interesting how it looks like the tree is painted on glass in front of a picture of sky. Love the effect and totally not like any of my 40xs pictures.
12-01-2017, 03:03 PM - 3 Likes   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are two very different images using my 40XS. I think this is an amazing lens and will have to do some comparisons at 40mm with my DA 20-40 Ltd that arrived today. Even if similar I still like the way images look with the 40xs.
Tree roots at the beach 1/80s f7.1 ISO 400 -0.3EV
Peepers posing is at 1/80s f2.8 ISO 400

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #125
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

time for a cap nap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-06-2018, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a garden party recently, took the DFA 100mm and DA40mm XS, 2.8 was the thing that day hehe. Here's a few with the XS;

02-11-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #127

I recently picked up one to go on my recently picked up k70. I've never really used a "normal" prime before. Just not a field of vision I use a lot. If I've needed that kind of shot, usually I'd just crop from a wider angle or stand way back with a tele. I love the (idea of?) pancake lenses and have my eye on the limited series. The pancakes are a huge reason i went Pentax. But those will wait until I can justify the prices to Mrs. RookieLady and myself.

I think I just need to go out somewhere to make friends with it. I had a 35mm in the past which I loved and I thought what is 5mm for a design I've been infatuated with since I came back to photography? The 7.5mm difference in the FOV it turns out is just enough to mess with my head. The 3 steps back was for me like when I got stationed in Germany. Close enough that the subtle differences were pronounced.

Like I said, I think I just need to take her out and make friends with her. And I want to thank everyone who posted and accidentally inspired me. Yeah, I read all 9 pages in one go right now. It helps me to see what she can do in capable hands. Hopefully I'll figure her out soon and start posting pics.

02-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I recently picked up one to go on my recently picked up k70. I've never really used a "normal" prime before. Just not a field of vision I use a lot. If I've needed that kind of shot, usually I'd just crop from a wider angle or stand way back with a tele. I love the (idea of?) pancake lenses and have my eye on the limited series. The pancakes are a huge reason i went Pentax. But those will wait until I can justify the prices to Mrs. RookieLady and myself.

I think I just need to go out somewhere to make friends with it. I had a 35mm in the past which I loved and I thought what is 5mm for a design I've been infatuated with since I came back to photography? The 7.5mm difference in the FOV it turns out is just enough to mess with my head. The 3 steps back was for me like when I got stationed in Germany. Close enough that the subtle differences were pronounced.

Like I said, I think I just need to take her out and make friends with her. And I want to thank everyone who posted and accidentally inspired me. Yeah, I read all 9 pages in one go right now. It helps me to see what she can do in capable hands. Hopefully I'll figure her out soon and start posting pics.
I really only have primes, the Sigma 10-20mm my only zoom. I tend to shoot with my FA50mm 1.4 in the K-1 more often than not, that's kinda my walk around lens, it's the one that has a home on the K-1 whereas all my other primes have a lens cap as a home
I find the FA50mm to being a nice focal length for shooting a solo individual, but the DA40mm XS is a perfect 'couple' lens, it's FOV just giving way a little more to comfortably get that second person and surrounds in shot. The 2.8 also is 'safer' as a starting point to getting both parties in focus rather than slipping down (or is it up?) to f1.6's etc.
I don't like the FOV of the XS so much on the ASP-C sensors (in my case KP), however it does make for a sleeker compact carry round so that I feel easier to justify almost always carrying around a capable camera with me at all times.
02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #129

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I don't like the FOV of the XS so much on the ASP-C sensors (in my case KP), however it does make for a sleeker compact carry round so that I feel easier to justify almost always carrying around a capable camera with me at all times.
Replace kp with k70 and that's exactly where I am right now. I haven't found it's place in my bag yet, but it weighs less than my car keys and the size is too freaking convenient to leave home. I guess I just need to get out and practice with it. Damn
02-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #130
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently picked up one to go on my recently picked up k70. I've never really used a "normal" prime before.
"Normal" on FF like the K-1, perhaps, probably a little long on a K70.
02-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #131

Which is why normal was in quotes. Yeah, it was originally me being stupid and forgetting crop factor. But now I have it and am determined to learn it. Next weekend is a long weekend spent at the beach. With a whole beach to ourselves (most people don't go to the beach when there's snow on the ground) I'm coming n back with at least one good pic of the kids making sand castles. And hopefully a good one of the ponies.
02-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Replace kp with k70 and that's exactly where I am right now. I haven't found it's place in my bag yet, but it weighs less than my car keys and the size is too freaking convenient to leave home. I guess I just need to get out and practice with it. Damn
yes, take it out and walk around! I am sure I wrote womething similar several pages back, but this little wonder lens is always with me, either in my bag or more likely on the camera for days or weeks at a time, even on a K-5, it makes for a light carry, the the results are so good! I look forward to seeing your pictures.
02-25-2018, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #133

I sat down earlier and looked at the images I took at the beach. I think I figured out where the lens shines. Yes, it is a great lens for couples portraits. But I found why it belongs in MY camera bag. If I'm somewhere where the kids have room to play, I have room to get them in their element. Wide enough to add context but close enough so they're the "stars".

In the not too distant future, I plan on taking her to museums. I am really happy with the IQ from the lens and I'm hoping it'll be a good focal length for the Smithsonian complexes.
02-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sat down earlier and looked at the images I took at the beach. I think I figured out where the lens shines. Yes, it is a great lens for couples portraits. But I found why it belongs in MY camera bag. If I'm somewhere where the kids have room to play, I have room to get them in their element. Wide enough to add context but close enough so they're the "stars".

In the not too distant future, I plan on taking her to museums. I am really happy with the IQ from the lens and I'm hoping it'll be a good focal length for the Smithsonian complexes.
Sharing is caring, get them pics out
02-25-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #135

Soon enough. I'll go and find a few good ones without the kids. I'm a little funny about putting pics of my kids online