Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 174 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 04:26 AM   #166
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

very nice thread but I still think of my copy being " the best lens in its class "

I hope others agree

adolescent two toed Hoffmann's Sloth, Choloepus hoffmanni in the Tropical Rain Forest exhibit at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold my DA40 XS to help fund other lenses, one of which is the FA43. Of course the FA43 is in a different class to the DA40XS but they do share some similarities such as tiny form factor, similar focal range (but I like the focus ring more on the FA43, it was always too loose for me on the DA40). I think what the DA40 taught me was the focal length, and how 40ish is really nice and versatile. Excellent for solo portrait work with some context, excellent for couples as well etc. I no longer seek a 50mm and find that focal range more restrictive.
03-18-2019, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I sold my DA40 XS to help fund other lenses
Burn the heretic!
03-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Burn the heretic!
Bought mine 3 months ago on sale at B&H for $149 and it is always with me, particularly when I drag my K-1 around. Having a small prime lens is always beneficial and it fits nicely in my jacket pocket. I did find a very cool chrome promaster 27mm UV clear filter that protects the lens because I am very proprietary over the tiny and virtually impossible to replace, lens cap--cap gets put away in a zipped pocket of my vest and it stays there until I'm done. Here's a couple of pics I took with my K-5ii at the Barclays Center during the A-10 Tournament. I had a 50-200mm but for the slightly wider angle and the space saving, I had a nice little prime with me. Here is the 40xs in a large venue....I like the depth of field and the clarity of the edges....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by Merv-O; 03-24-2019 at 04:09 PM.
03-18-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Burn the heretic!
Haha

I could rebuy it again, I noticed the buyer is actually selling my exact one again a few months later lol, it's easy to know it was mine as mine was silver but I can also match the serials

Pentax DA 40mm, f2.8 SX Silver | eBay
03-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I still think of my copy being " the best lens in its class "
Isn't it really the only lens in its class?

It is certainly in a class by itself, it takes up at least 75% of lenses I use on a monthly basis.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
03-24-2019, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #172
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

yep and since it is the only XS lens ever made

and as far as I know -

" The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made. . . "

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - The Bottom Line | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I call that being the " best in its class " ( of one )

very similar in my mind to " Jethro Bodine " being top of his class at Oxford :

" The tallest student in his class in the town of Oxford (so named because "that's where the oxen used to ford the creek") because of his age, he is often impressing others that he graduated "top of his class at Oxford." - Jethro Bodine | Beverly Hillbillies Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
03-24-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is an interesting little lens for sure. I did sell mine as I stated above, as I also felt the manual focus is very loose, I vowed to get a 'normal' 40mm if I ever replaced that focal length, I could live with the extra bulk and gain some better filter sizes, lens cap/hood and stiffer manual focus all at the same IQ.
In the end I got a FA43 which I fills the 40mm hole that I had.

Honestly I just think the XS should be sold with every Pentax 'Body Only' purchase, essentially replacing the body cap. Without a doubt it's singular strongest feature is it's IQ and body cap like pancake thickness. When people see it they can hardly believe their eyes, and then when they see the IQ from such a lens... I can't help feeling this would help drive Pentax sales somewhat, if people on the fence about brands and had certain budget constraints, can't afford a kit purchase (like a K-1+28-105) and only the K-1 on it's own, but were greeted with a neat XS straight away (and when reviews confirm that the XS is no joke for IQ) it might tip people over to starting their relationship with Pentax! Missed marketing opportunity imo.
03-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #174
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well

the person who did the In Depth Review comparison of the 35mm 2.4, the 40mm Limited and the 40mm XS stated:

" Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited . . .

Our test copy of the DA 40mm XS produced excellent images in all conditions, ranging from close-ups to distant landscapes. It wasn't quite as sharp at the edges and corners as our DA 35mm, but it was more consistent across the frame, and seemed to be the best all-around performer. Chromatic aberrations were comparable to the DA 35mm, though it displayed nothing near the control of the DA 40mm Limited—differences in coating, perhaps? Distortion was a non-issue. Bokeh is marginally improved over the DA 40mm Limited thanks to the nine rounded aperture blades. Autofocus was fast and accurate. The build quality was surprisingly tight and rugged for an all-polycarbonate unit, and its tiny size definitely made the camera easier to carry on long, hot summer days. I could see this lens living on my camera for large chunks of time, and I get why it was packaged as the kit lens with the K-01: it's a very good compromise choice.

As with the DA 35mm, frills are kept to a minimum. While it retains a metal mount (somewhat surprising, since it's definitely in the budget lens camp), it doesn't include a lens hood, and its insanely compact dimensions preclude any distance scale. As noted above, the construction, while rugged, is predominately plastic. Its looks are a subject for debate; personally, we liked them, but your taste may vary. Anyway, as small as it is, the looks are easy to overlook if you disagree. . . . "

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Conclusion: DA 40mm f/2.8 XS | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-26-2019, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #175
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I do like this lens

SOOC

crop and pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Haha

I could rebuy it again, I noticed the buyer is actually selling my exact one again a few months later lol, it's easy to know it was mine as mine was silver but I can also match the serials

Pentax DA 40mm, f2.8 SX Silver | eBay
Wow! I never knew they made a silver one Has to be collectible.
03-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #177
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It should have had a yellow limited edition.
03-26-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
been working in London on and off for the last month and my "flat wonder" has turned me into a snappy happy tourist these are all SOC love this lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-26-2019, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Wow! I never knew they made a silver one Has to be collectible.
Apparently only 5000 ever produced, sold only with a silver K5 Ltd edition. I tried to flog my one around the high $200AUD to low $300AUD but failed, this guy seems to be selling low $200's as well, so yeah weird that it actually doesn't really bring a price increase at least not at this point in time.

Here it was sitting on my Silver KP, made for each other!

FYI I bought my silver KP from the states, I was the the second owner, the man selling it was the Silver K5 owner.
03-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
been working in London on and off for the last month and my "flat wonder" has turned me into a snappy happy tourist these are all SOC love this lens
Really love the bridge composition. I would like some post contrast but that is my main problem with the 40xs. That last one has plenty of contrast though.