Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #961

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
...Well that all sounds insane probably but that's what I like about the Zeiss rendering, it's not just about the in-focus parts but how they sit in context with their surrounds.
I wouldn't say it better. Your words exactly express what I feel about it.

11-11-2017, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #962
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An oldie I stumbled across on my NAS as I was deleting LR back ups and previews (I think I deleted something like 20+GB).

This was captured with the K5 and Makro Planar 2/100

This was sunrise, and between me you and the daily news I reckon I'd love to wake up on a boat like this in the Brisbane River.

Tas
11-16-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #963
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I felt this scene was too bland to be worth keeping and I was about to delete it when I thought I'd push the PP a bit and see how it would turn out. I shot this wide open to leave only the foreground artwork emphasised. K-1 and 21/2.8.

Tas
11-19-2017, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #964
Pentaxian

Indestructable Zeiss Lenses!

Yesterday I received a heavily-used, broken, Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar lens that I had purchased for $300 on Ebay. It was non-operable and was being sold "for parts".

It had been damaged in a drop. The aperture was broken, and the rear elements group was so floppy/wobbly that if you gently shook the lens you could hear it banging around inside.

Anyway, I spent a few hours taking it apart, and repairing/adapting it.

Below is a quick, handheld, test image I took today with this lens on my K1. It's a photo of a power pole near my house. Nothing special, but it does show nice detail, and is proof that Zeiss "Classic" lenses are almost indestructible.

This is the second such broken Zeiss lens being sold for parts that I've been able to restore. The other being a Milvus 85/1.4 lens (also damaged in a drop) that I bought for just $400. Sometimes bargains can be found if you're willing to take a chance on a damaged lens being repairable.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-19-2017 at 01:56 PM.
11-19-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #965
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Yesterday I received a heavily-used, broken, Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar lens that I had purchased for $300 on Ebay. It was non-operable and was being sold "for parts".

It had been damaged in a drop. The aperture was broken, and the rear elements group was so floppy/wobbly that if you gently shook the lens you could hear it banging around inside.

Anyway, I spent a few hours taking it apart, and repairing/adapting it.

Below is a quick, handheld, test image I took today with this lens on my K1. It's a photo of a power pole near my house. Nothing special, but it does show nice detail, and is proof that Zeiss "Classic" lenses are almost indestructible.

This is the second such broken Zeiss lens being sold for parts that I've been able to restore. The other being a Milvus 85/1.4 lens (also damaged in a drop) that I bought for just $400. Sometimes bargains can be found if you're willing to take a chance on a damaged lens being repairable.

Top work mate, I'm a big fan of my 2/100 and I see that one is working well judging by the photo.

The heavily discounted prices easily makes it worth giving a repair a go, and even if you buy a third that lens that can't be repaired, with the two lenses you've already done you're well ahead of the return curve so it won't matter.

Glad to see such an awesome lens getting to live for another day.

Tas
11-21-2017, 09:13 PM - 2 Likes   #966
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from last year with the K-1 and 21/2.8.

Did everyone notice yet another Makro Planar 2/50 ZK in the market place for sale? I think that's the third one this year which is more than normal.

Tas
11-21-2017, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #967
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Did everyone notice yet another Makro Planar 2/50 ZK in the market place for sale? I think that's the third one this year which is more than normal.

Tas
I did, and previously I would have been excited about that. I think now with the ability to Leitax the Zeiss Milvus lenses I am tipping more in that direction for any additional Zeiss lenses. My opinion is that the Milvus lenses bring a bit more to the table compared with the ZK lenses.

Ross

11-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #968
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I did, and previously I would have been excited about that. I think now with the ability to Leitax the Zeiss Milvus lenses I am tipping more in that direction for any additional Zeiss lenses. My opinion is that the Milvus lenses bring a bit more to the table compared with the ZK lenses.

Ross
I agree, especially regarding the following Milvus lenses with improved optical formula over their Zeiss Classic predecessors: 18mm, 25mm, 35/1.4 , 50/1.4, and 85.

I closely follow Lloyd Chambers Zeiss Milvus reviews on his website. I was very interested to read that he calls the new Zeiss Milvus 25mm f/1.4 "Otus" quality! The only other non-Otus Zeiss lens he's ever said that about was the Zeiss 135/2 lens.

I currently own the Zeiss "Classic" 25/2 lens. I like it a lot. However, based on Lloyd's tests and comments, I could see myself upgrading to the new Milvus 25/1.4 lens some day. Other than this new lens, I believe that I'm set for life when it comes to Zeiss lenses right now. My lens lusting days are over!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-22-2017 at 08:33 AM.
11-22-2017, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #969
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My opinion is that the Milvus lenses bring a bit more to the table compared with the ZK lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I agree, especially regarding the following Milvus lenses
Ross / Dave,

I understand where you're coming from, and a Leitax conversion of a ZF2 might, ironically, save you money too.

I'm quite lucky to have six ZK lenses and I'm happy with them so I'll continue to recommend them to any Pentaxians who might be interested in giving Zeiss a go.

After all, a Makro Planar 2/50 ZK is still a great lens.

Tas
11-22-2017, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #970
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand where you're coming from, and a Leitax conversion of a ZF2 might, ironically, save you money too.

I'm quite lucky to have six ZK lenses and I'm happy with them so I'll continue to recommend them to any Pentaxians who might be interested in giving Zeiss a go.

After all, a Makro Planar 2/50 ZK is still a great lens.
Tas, I have a ZK 2/28 and 2/35 and I am very happy with them. I have no intention of selling them or not using them. I am also looking forward to purchasing a K-1 next year and getting the full effect of full frame lenses. I would also be happy to recommend Zeiss ZK lenses to anyone.

The point I was observing was that Leitax adaptors open up more options for Pentax users who like using Zeiss glass. I have also been following Lloyd Chambers review of the Milvus 25/1.4 and have been really impressed with the image making ability of that lens.

It is good to be spoilt for choice with our Zeiss lenses.

Ross
11-24-2017, 11:20 PM - 3 Likes   #971
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got out again, and went back to Nudgee for a particular type of image but an important ingredient was missing. As I was there though I had the 2/100, 2.8/25 and the 2/35 out for a few images, this one is the 35 with an ND400 (9 stop) filter on. It was sunny and blustery and with the heat and humidity today and we might be in for a storm later this arvo. Anyhoo, the image was processed using a split tone.

Tas
11-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #972
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finally got out again, and went back to Nudgee for a particular type of image but an important ingredient was missing. As I was there though I had the 2/100, 2.8/25 and the 2/35 out for a few images, this one is the 35 with an ND400 (9 stop) filter on. It was sunny and blustery and with the heat and humidity today and we might be in for a storm later this arvo. Anyhoo, the image was processed using a split tone.
Tas
Nicely done.
11-29-2017, 12:41 AM - 2 Likes   #973
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 and the 25/2.8 ZK in my front yard during a break in the rain.

Tas
11-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #974

One from last year with the K-1 and 21/2.8.
Tas
Wow! A new owner of this lens will be very lucky! I have a new* ZF.2 version for sale (which is much cheaper) but sometimes I think I should keep it along with my ZK version too (just in case)

... My opinion is that the Milvus lenses bring a bit more to the table compared with the ZK lenses.
It is so but it doesn't correspond to 50/2 Makro nor 100/2 Makro. I like my 50/2 Makro so much that I wouldn't even exchange it for Otus 55/1.4 (actually, maybe I would but only in order to sell it and then buy another 50/2 Makro)! Unfortunately, I had to send my lens to get it serviced, so now I even slowed down my shooting... I really think this lens is in its own league. These Makros must be so great that their optical formula haven't been changed in the Milvus line. Even a significantly improved 50/1.4 lens is still cheaper than the 50/2M (which is optically the same as 50/2 Makro but has an inferior rubber focusing ring).
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #975
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
A new owner of this lens will be very lucky!
Yes, and speaking of the 2/50 I might take mine out shortly to see if I can do some more close focus work with it. Here's what I'm thinking of, this is the 2/100. The light and the rain drops are particularly enticing.

Tas