Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #631
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks Tas, that sunrise in Sydney shows a lot for me. Shows it would be a grear 50mm for me. I am in no hurry to buy one because I am very much a wide shooter at the moment. I will buy one if I see one for a good price.

25/2.8 Fort Everdingen

01-27-2017, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #632
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This image is of the sunset here in New Zealand earlier this week - from my back yard. Pentax K3 and Zeiss ZK 28mm f2 - ISO320, f5.6, 1/100s.

This is a lens Fenwoodian sold me a while back. It is a very nice lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-28-2017, 01:29 AM   #633
Unregistered User

Shot with the 85mm Planar T* @ 2.4, 1/80th at ISO 500. With the arrival of new lenses, I was beginning to forget just how lovely of a lens this actually is.

Hi Res here: Manpi's Mud Mask | Shot with the Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f1.4 P? | Flickr
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-28-2017, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Shot with the 85mm Planar T* @ 2.4, 1/80th at ISO 500. With the arrival of new lenses, I was beginning to forget just how lovely of a lens this actually is.

Hi Res here: Manpi's Mud Mask | Shot with the Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f1.4 P? | Flickr
Just lovely out of focus background blur!

01-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #635
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Just lovely out of focus background blur!
Lovely BG blur indeed! But what amazes me even more is the color and contrast of these Zeiss lenses, along with their rendering ability.... Now I thoroughly enjoy having 36mp. I can hardly believe that I used to shoot a mere 16mp on my old k-5! 36mp is nothing short of a splendid joy and I've been feeling so content with this sensors capabilities. But in light of these lenses, I've had a thought! I can't help but want to see (thus want to have) a new FF model with even higher mp, just to see what can be milked out of these Zeiss lenses! 50mp! Yes please! Seriously, they of us who have been fortunate to acquire ZK Zeiss glass for FF are rather blessed I'd say.
01-28-2017, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #636
Pentaxian

Lovely BG blur indeed! But what amazes me even more is the color and contrast of these Zeiss lenses, along with their rendering ability.... Now I thoroughly enjoy having 36mp. I can hardly believe that I used to shoot a mere 16mp on my old k-5! 36mp is nothing short of a splendid joy and I've been feeling so content with this sensors capabilities. But in light of these lenses, I've had a thought! I can't help but want to see (thus want to have) a new FF model with even higher mp, just to see what can be milked out of these Zeiss lenses! 50mp! Yes please! Seriously, they of us who have been fortunate to acquire ZK Zeiss glass for FF are rather blessed I'd say.
I suspect that these premium Zeiss lenses can handle 50+ mp, but I can tell you that my computer is at its' limits handling my K1 image files.

Here's a shot of my current Zeiss lens line up. They are all ZF lenses that I've converted using Leitax adapters to fit onto my Pentax K3 and K1 cameras.

In the past, I've also owned multiple copies of the following Zeiss lenses: 21mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.4.

While I like all of the Zeiss lenses, the five in the photo are best suited for my style of photography.

I suspect that I'm finally just about done with my experimenting with Zeiss lenses. I've now got the perfect collection of Zeiss lenses for my photographic needs, and will likely be sticking with them for years to come.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-23-2017 at 12:14 PM.
01-28-2017, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #637
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that I'm finally just about done with my experimenting with Zeiss lenses. I've now got the perfect collection for me, and will likely be all that I need for years to come.
That is a very nice set of lenses

01-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #638
Unregistered User

I suspect that these premium Zeiss lenses can handle 50+ mp, but I can tell you that my computer is at its' limits handling my K1 image files.

Here's a shot of my current Zeiss lens line up. They are all ZF lenses that I've converted using Leitax adapters to fit onto my Pentax K3 and K1 cameras.

In the past, I've also owned multiple copies of the following Zeiss lenses: 21mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.4.

While I like all of the Zeiss lenses, the five in the photo are best suited for my style of photography.

I suspect that I'm finally just about done with my experimenting with Zeiss lenses. I've now got the perfect collection of Zeiss lenses for my photographic needs, and will likely be sticking with them for years to come.

Nice collection. I must say thought I'm surprised you relinquished the 21mm! It's one heck of a lens! I wouldn't mind one myself. Nice to see you have the 50mm + 100mm Makro Planars. They are incredible. I've the 35mm f2, 85mm 1.4 and 50mm + 100mm makro planars myself. If I could just come up with the means for the 21mm I'd be laughing.... Oh and the 135mm also. Greatest lens ever made in my opinion.

---------- Post added 01-29-17 at 07:48 PM ----------

Nice collection. I must say thought I'm surprised you relinquished the 21mm! It's one heck of a lens! I wouldn't mind one myself. Nice to see you have the 50mm + 100mm Makro Planars. They are incredible. I've the 35mm f2, 85mm 1.4 and 50mm + 100mm makro planars myself. If I could just come up with the means for the 21mm I'd be laughing.... Oh and the 135mm also. Greatest lens ever made in my opinion.
Also. I had failed to think of editing a 50mp file, though I'm having no troubles with the 36mp at present on my mac mini. It chugs along just fine.
01-29-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #639
Pentaxian

The 21mm Zeiss is a great lens. However it's a bit wide for my style and I'm not a "landscape photographer". If one is patient, you can find good deals on used 21/2.8 Zeiss ZF lenses on ebay. They are not difficult to Leitax convert to Pentax K mount. The earlier version of the 21mm is a bit easier.

These Zeiss lenses are very rugged and well built. I've bought about a couple dozen used copies over the years. Some were really beat up on the outside. However they all had great glass and perfect focusing and aperture. If money is an issue, buy the ugliest and most beat up Zeiss ZF lens you can find - as it likely still will take great pictures just like a new version.
02-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #640
Pentaxian

! DEAL ALERT !

I just purchased a new Zeiss metal lens hood for my Zess 50mm f/2 Makro Planar lens for just $17 on Ebay. B&H currently sells them for $130

The seller advertises that these hoods are "used", however the one that I received looked brand new to me!

The asking price is $20, but he will accept $17 . Free shipping too.

This seller ships fast and packaging is excellent. He is out of Michigan USA and has 5 of these lens hoods left! Unfortunately, it would appear that he will only ship to USA locations.

Heck, at this price, it's probably a good idea to keep a spare around. Here's a link to this Ebay ad...

Good luck...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-23-2017 at 12:14 PM.
02-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #641
Veteran Member

Thank you for the community!
02-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #642
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

! DEAL ALERT !

I just purchased a new Zeiss metal lens hood for my Zess 50mm f/2 Makro Planar lens for just $17 on Ebay. B&H currently sells them for $130

The seller advertises that these hoods are "used", however the one that I received looked brand new to me!

The asking price is $20, but he will accept $17 . Free shipping too.

This seller ships fast and packaging is excellent. He is out of Michigan USA and has 5 of these lens hoods left! Unfortunately, it would appear that he will only ship to USA locations.

Heck, at this price, it's probably a good idea to keep a spare around. Here's a link to this Ebay ad...

Good luck...
A great find. I've gone through two hoods for the 2/100, they damage easily and they're not cheap. If you can get a deal on any Zeiss hood it's worth it to keep a spare IMHO etc.

It's a shame old mate limits shipping to the US, but that's life I guess.

Tas
02-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #643
Pentaxian

Shipping from the USA to other countries is a real pain these days.

When I do shipping withing the USA, I print up the shipping label with the postage on it at home, and the mail carrier stops by my home and picks up the package.

When shipping to another country, I must drive down to the local postal office, stand in line and wait, AND complete a detailed customs form. The whole process will take me about an extra hour and the gas for the car to and from the post office. Just not worth the trouble for smaller items.
02-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #644
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

When shipping to another country, I must drive down to the local postal office, stand in line and wait, AND complete a detailed customs form. The whole process will take me about an extra hour and the gas for the car to and from the post office. Just not worth the trouble for smaller items.
Thankfully it is worth the trouble for larger items
02-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #645
Pentaxian

I just saw a nice Zeiss ZF 21mm f/2.8 Distagon on ebay for only $499 USD !! These usually sell for $1000 + No bidders yet. Good seller.

I'm not interested because it's too wide for me. However, I thought someone here might be interested in this outstanding Zeiss wide lens.

Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f2.8 zf.2 for Nikon with box | eBay