Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #946
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
However, I still don't know how exactly this "mode" is switched on and what exactly I should do to switch it off again.
Mate, sorry to hear about this, but there is no 'mode' for close focusing, it's just a smooth rotation of the ring through the focal range. The Makro Planars have a long focus throw, but mine doesn't stick and it only stops at a point when I stop rotating it. It sounds like there could be something not right with that lens, but as you have a second one in ZF mount, try turning that through it's entire focal length to compare them side by side. This should confirm if there's something amiss with the lens or not.

I recall the previous owner of the Distagon 21/2.8 that I own found a problem with his lens so he contacted Zeiss and he sent it to them to be checked out. Apparently the lens he sent was out of spec so they sent him a replacement. If there's a problem with that 50/2 and you have no joy getting something resolved with the seller you might consider exploring options for a repair.

Keep us posted on how this pans out please, it's never good to hear people having problems with kit and I hope it all works out for you.

Tas

11-02-2017, 04:15 AM   #947

Tas, thank you for your support!
Yes, I suspected that there is no special mode for macro shooting. Maybe there is really something wrong with my copy of the lens. However, such behavior happened to my lens only twice, now I can't replicate it. The focusing ring is rotated very very smoothly. The lens is really in like new condition. The seller shoots with a Canon. He had bought this lens to shoot with a PK to EOS adapter but then he found and bought a Canon version of the lens. As far as I understand my lens hasn't been used for a considerable amount of time. Maybe it just needs to be used more often

To my initial impressions. Some say that Zeiss lenses are manufactured on whole new level in comparison to Pentax lenses. I wouldn't agree with that statement. In my opinion, Pentax limited lenses are made in a similar (if not better) way. That's all for now I need more time to discover the nuances of the lens.
11-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #948
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tas, thank you for your support!
Yes, I suspected that there is no special mode for macro shooting. Maybe there is really something wrong with my copy of the lens. However, such behavior happened to my lens only twice, now I can't replicate it. The focusing ring is rotated very very smoothly. The lens is really in like new condition. The seller shoots with a Canon. He had bought this lens to shoot with a PK to EOS adapter but then he found and bought a Canon version of the lens. As far as I understand my lens hasn't been used for a considerable amount of time. Maybe it just needs to be used more often

To my initial impressions. Some say that Zeiss lenses are manufactured on whole new level in comparison to Pentax lenses. I wouldn't agree with that statement. In my opinion, Pentax limited lenses are made in a similar (if not better) way. That's all for now I need more time to discover the nuances of the lens.
No worries mate, the main thing is you get to shoot the way you envision with the kit you want to shoot with. It's a great lens and I hope your experience meets your expectations.

Tas
11-02-2017, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #949
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Teiki, I have never used Rawtherapee, Iridient, Prime DxO Optics Pro 11, or Capture One Pro. I did try Light Room a few years ago but I did not like it so I deleted it from my computer.

However, I did buy many copies of Light Room DVDs last week as an investment once I found out that Light Room was moving to the cloud. I fully expect that I'll double or triple my money within the year.

I am seriously considering buying a copy of Luminar and giving that software a try. Anyone have any experience with that?

While I have many types of photo editing software on my computer. The only ones I'm using now are - Silkypix (expensive paid version) for K1 pixel shift DNGs, Abobe Elements for K1 DNGs (non-pixel shift), NIK's free plugins that I've installed in Elements, and of course Piccure + that I use to sharpen the TIFF files I get after converting the RAW to TIFF.

Years ago I experimented and did lots of crazy things in post. But the phase I'm in now I only do the bare minimum in post, as I try to get it right in the camera.
Hi dave,
sorry for my late answer...

I neither like LR for RAW Processing. Besides RAW process with Pentax files is worse than with Canon files. So I also gave up using LR as a RAW processor. But I use it to catalog my files and for Plug-in third softwares, it's convenient.
I use DxO Prime for noise reduction (only) for (nearly) all my files and convert them to .dng files. Then I use other RAW/TIFF processors. RawTherapee, Piccure +, Iridient developer (and even LR) can process .dng files made by DxO Optics Pro (don't remember about Darktable). When converted to Tiff (for example processed in Piccure +), Iridient Developer is the only one which can fix lens distortion using LCP files for Tiff files (for my Leica-R lenses from LR) while LR itself is not able to make it (only for DNG/dng/RAW files).
Iridient Developer is a nice Raw Processor also. RawTherapee (since v5.3) is very convenient for Pixel Shift files (I just tried) but I do not use PS files for the moment. Piccure + is unreliable because of randomized results according to different files. Besides, target folders are very sensitive with pentax files, for example I used to push "lens rendering" at only between 3 and 7 (instead of 15) for not to have any artefacts... I do not really understand how it works, it's not repeatable for different pictures (different criterias/target folder results), it crashes with plug-in versions and processing is very slow compared to the others (although I have a modified MacPro 2009 hexacore W3680 with 48GB RAM and SSD, about two and half minutes to process). So I stopped Piccure+...
Iridient Developer, RawTherapee and Piccure+ use RL deconvolution, not LR.
Then I use Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for my B&W process or Tonality CK I'm trying (made by the same team actually). I like very much Tonality CK because I can use masks and layers, I like very much Nik SEP2 for U-points. DxO team bought Nik collection and just created DxO Photolab, I hope it's a nice software rising the benefits of the two last ones (Tonality CK & Nik SEP2) at the same time... Let us see about it.
I can't tell you about Luminar because I do not use it for the moment although I like very much Tonality CK.
Capture One pro is an excellent RAW processor but I do not use it... Perhaps I should.

Last but not least, I think I shortly buy Iridient thanks to distortion Leica-R lenses correction with Tiff files and because I like it very much working with it, very quick, very simple and very efficient. Best regards, teiki.

Original DNG file in LR without any correction, as it is.

Fantasy colored with Iridient Developer and LCP distortion correction
after Dxo Prime to look like oversaturated color slide roll...

Semana santa de Alicante, Leica-R 28/2.8(II).
DxO Prime to .dng file,
Iridient Developer to Tiff file using LCP distortion correction file from LR (not color oversaturated), and
Tonality CK for B&W conversion.

For fun...

P.S. Teiki, my daughter lived in San Sebastian for a year. Do you live near there?
San Sebastian is on Atlantic sea side, pays basque in Spain. I live in the other side, méditerranée sea side, in Catalogne, France, near Perpignan.

Last edited by teiki arii; 11-02-2017 at 07:38 AM.
11-02-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #950
Pentaxian

Teiki, I just love the black and white image you just posted! It doesn't look "digital" to me. Its' tonal gradations remind me of the terrific images I used to get in my old dark room. Very well done!!

Thanks for sharing your experience with photograph editing software. Good luck with Iridient in the future.

Sure, Piccure+ may be unreliable and unpredictable, but I find when it does work the results are very nice. Also, if I have an image with unacceptable noise, I just click the noise reduction box in Piccure+ and it does a good job in reducing the noise also when processing the file.

I too use NIK plugins on most images. I am hopeful that the new owner (DxO Photolab) will continue to improve NIK software.
11-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #951
Veteran Member

Teiki, I just love the black and white image you just posted! It doesn't look "digital" to me. Its' tonal gradations remind me of the terrific images I used to get in my old dark room. Very well done!!
Thank you very much for your comment. That is what RL deconvolution does, better than "usnharp mask" IMHO... Then the bokeh looks like more "natural"..

I too use NIK plugins on most images. I am hopeful that the new owner (DxO Photolab) will continue to improve NIK software.
Let's cross fingers..
11-02-2017, 05:50 PM - 4 Likes   #952
Marketplace Reseller

K1 + Zeiss 50mm F2 Makro

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #953
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rainy day in the park

lovely portrait cqua77

It has been a while since I took any images with the ZK 35. Here is one from this mornings run/walk.

11-06-2017, 11:47 AM - 6 Likes   #954

K-1 + 50/2 Makro @ f2.5, 1/8, ISO3200. Do you see some sort of clarity and 3D-pop in this image that 50/2 Makro is so famous for?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CWqtUA]
11-06-2017, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #955
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1 + 50/2 Makro @ f2.5, 1/8, ISO3200. Do you see some sort of clarity and 3D-pop in this image that 50/2 Makro is so famous for?

Clarity is great, and I sense a bit of the 3-D pop, for example, at the upper right eave of the old house, seen against the background of the larger building across the street, also with the telephone pole seen against the background of the light-colored building across the street. I have the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.5, which is what I assume yur lens is, and love it for its clarity especially. Keep up the good work and keep sharing!
11-06-2017, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #956
Pentaxian

Outstanding example of the type of 3D image a ZEISS lens can produce on the K1!
11-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #957

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Clarity is great, and I sense a bit of the 3-D pop, for example, at the upper right eave of the old house, seen against the background of the larger building across the street, also with the telephone pole seen against the background of the light-colored building across the street. I have the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.5, which is what I assume yur lens is, and love it for its clarity especially. Keep up the good work and keep sharing!
Thank you, ivanvernon and Fenwoodian!
No, the lens I used was the Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar, not the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 (f2.5 must be a misprint from your side). I like this Pentax lens too. Maybe I would buy it but I found an almost new copy of the Zeiss for a reasonable price. What I also like about the Zeiss 50/2 Makro is its bokeh. Sure, objects in out of focus areas are not blown away, but the rendering of out of focus areas is very pleasing (along with the sharp areas that abruptly break off in the picture above I was also staring quite a time at OOF areas too). I haven't seen anything like that in pictures shot on the Pentax-D FA 50/2.8 yet (it may be my fault). Many photos from this Zeiss look inexplicably attractive to me.
As for the new photos, I'll try to keep up but nowadays the weather isn't too photogenic.
11-06-2017, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, the lens I used was the Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar, not the Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 (f2.5 must be a misprint from your side). I like this Pentax lens too. Maybe I would buy it but I found an almost new copy of the Zeiss for a reasonable price. What I also like about the Zeiss 50/2 Makro is its bokeh. Sure, objects in out of focus areas are not blown away, but the rendering of out of focus areas is very pleasing (along with the sharp areas that abruptly break off in the picture above I was also staring quite a time at OOF areas too). I haven't seen anything like that in pictures shot on the Pentax-D FA 50/2.8 yet (it may be my fault). Many photos from this Zeiss look inexplicably attractive to me.
As for the new photos, I'll try to keep up but nowadays the weather isn't too photogenic.
Yeah, thanks, my error, I was not paying proper attention. Image is great regardless of lens!
11-06-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #959
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice composition on this image. I also like the rendering here. Zeiss optics definitely has a look.
11-06-2017, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #960
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of those scenes that really needs to be viewed at the larger size in Flickr.

There's certainly that sense of depth to the image, the buildings in the background have that wonderful out of focus look that enhances the in focus area for that 3D look. I like to view a scene like this by focusing my eyes on the close in-focus building but let my gaze wander to the buildings to the immediate right whilst maintaining my eye focus on the sharp parts of the scene. It's hard to explain but it's like looking at the out of focus buildings in the background but having your eyes still adjusted to the in-focus part; almost like using your peripheral vision to absorb the in-focus part as I look directly at the rear buildings.

Well that all sounds insane probably but that's what I like about the Zeiss rendering, it's not just about the in-focus parts but how they sit in context with their surrounds.

Tas