Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1162 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #991
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Throwing the apple

Taken a few months ago with the K-1 and 21/2.8.

Tas

12-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #992
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zeiss the company had it's biggest FY in 2016/17

Some good news for Zeiss, thought some around here might be interested.

Zeiss reports record revenue and earnings | Photo Rumors

Tas
12-23-2017, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #993
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got out again this morning, first time in ages and my lack of recent practice was noticeable. The K-1 and Distagon 21/2.8

If you want to get a better look follow the link to Flickr to see it on black.

Tas
12-25-2017, 07:39 PM - 8 Likes   #994
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I must be the only one with no friends

Christmas morning with the K-1 and Distagon 21/2.8

Tas

12-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #995

Amazing !
12-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #996
Pentaxian

TAS, great example of Zeiss colors and clarity!

I'll never understand why more of the Pentax Forum members with the Pentax K1 camera have not ditched their old manual focus Pentax lenses and come over to modern Zeiss lenses? I've owned all but one of the best Pentax lenses, and there's not one of them that has a signature that compares to my Zeiss lenses. I guess that sometimes fanboyism can make one blind to reality.
12-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #997
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I'll never understand why more of the Pentax Forum members with the Pentax K1 camera have not ditched their old manual focus Pentax lenses and come over to modern Zeiss lenses? I've owned all but one of the best Pentax lenses, and there's not one of them that has a signature that compares to my Zeiss lenses. I guess that sometimes fanboyism can make one blind to reality.

Pentax A 85 F1.4 is far superior to the Zeiss 85mm. Pentax A 135mm F1.8 is known as the best 135 ever produced. There is no F1.2 in Zeiss line compatible with pentax mount... I own 4 Zeiss lenses, all are great lenses, but please don't talk about fanboyism for the old A lenses. They are just complementary.

12-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #998
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cqua77 Quote
Pentax A 85 F1.4 is far superior to the Zeiss 85mm. Pentax A 135mm F1.8 is known as the best 135 ever produced. There is no F1.2 in Zeiss line compatible with pentax mount... I own 4 Zeiss lenses, all are great lenses, but please don't talk about fanboyism for the old A lenses. They are just complementary.
It sounds to me like you are claiming the Pentax A 135/1.8 is better than the highly-rated world -lass Zeiss Milvus 135/2 lens. From your post I assume that you have not owned (or even shot) either of these lenses. I have.

I have owned the better old Pentax A lenses (including the Pentax A 85 f1.4). They are good old lenses, but they are showing their age.

The Zeiss "Classic" 85mm f/1.4 lens (that I assume you own) indeed is bettered by the Pentax A 85/1.8 lens - I'll give you that. HOWEVER, the new Zeiss "Milvus" 85mm f/1.4 (which I do own, and have shot 3 copies of) is a FAR superior to both the Zeiss "Classic" 85/1.4 and the Pentax A 85/1.4 - no comparison, not even in the same league. So much so that I sold my Pentax A MF 85/1.4 lens last spring and have no regrets. Have you ever owned and shot both the Pentax A 85/1.8 lens and the Zeiss "Milvus" 85/1.4 lens?

I have no problem with someone comparing the older Zeiss "Classic" lenses against the Pentax A MF lenses. In some focals (e.g. 50mm, 85mm) they are probably pretty close in overall performance, and I could see how some might even rate a handful of the Pentax A lens better than it's Zeiss "Classic" counterpart. But, most of the new Zeiss "Milvus" lenses blow away their Pentax A counterparts. I expect most photographers who've done side by side comparisons of Zeiss Milvus vs Pentax A would agree with this assertion.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-26-2017 at 02:49 PM.
12-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #999
Marketplace Reseller

It sounds to me like you are claiming the Pentax A 135/1.8 is better than the highly-rated world -lass Zeiss Milvus 135/2 lens. From your post I assume that you have not owned (or even shot) either of these lenses. I have. Don't lecture me about the performance of lenses that you have zero personal experience with. Doing so is the definition of being a blind fanboy.

I have owned the better old A lenses (including the Pentax A 85 f1.4). The Zeiss "Classic" 85mm f/1.4 lens that you own does not better the Pentax A 85/1.8 lens - it's one of the poorer performing Zeiss lenses. HOWEVER, the new Zeiss "Milvus" 85mm f/1.4 (which I do own, and have shot 3 copies of) is a FAR superior to the Pentax A 85/1.4. So much so that I sold my Pentax A MF 85/1.4 lens last summer with no regrets. Have you ever owned and shot the Pentax A 85/1.8 lens and the Zeiss "Milvus" 85/1.4 lens? I have. Again, your spouting such nonsense without personal experience is the height of Pentax fanboyism.

I own the Pentax A 85 and the Zeiss classic 85... And comparing with leitaxed lenses never produced in K mount (Milvus) is a nonsense... But with a guy who said that leitaxed lenses are superior to original mount... Oh probably cause you are writing a book about this subject... Ok you are the king of this thread...
12-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #1000
Pentaxian

I own the Pentax A 85 and the Zeiss classic 85... And comparing with leitaxed lenses never produced in K mount (Milvus) is a nonsense... But with a guy who said that leitaxed lenses are superior to original mount... Oh probably cause you are writing a book about this subject... Ok you are the king of this thread...
You are correct, I do believe that Leitax mounts are better than original Zeiss or Pentax mounts. I have installed over 40 Leitax mounts, and have removed/held probably over 60 Zeiss/Pentax mounts. Have you ever even held a single Leitax mount in your hand? Ever compare one to a Zeiss (or Pentax) mount? I've got about a dozen Pentax and Zeiss Classic/Milvus mounts in my shop. I'll trade you two of the Zeiss/Pentax mounts for a single Leitax mount if you'd like to make a trade.

I'm not writing a book, but if I was - "What's wrong with that?"

You claim "leitaxed lenses never produced in K mount (Milvus) is a nonsense." Fine, keep believing that and you'll never be able to experience the outstanding images produced by putting Zeiss Milvus lenses on a Pentax K1 camera - you're loss.

I never claimed to be "King" of this thread, however I do have extensive personal experience with multiple copies of every single Zeiss Classic lens (except the 15mm), and six different Zeiss Milvus lenses.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
12-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #1001
Marketplace Reseller

You are correct, I do believe that Leitax mounts are better than original Zeiss or Pentax mounts. I have installed over 40 Leitax mounts, and have removed/held probably over 60 Zeiss/Pentax mounts. Have you ever even held a single Leitax mount in your hand? Ever compare one to a Zeiss (or Pentax) mount? I've got about a dozen Pentax and Zeiss Classic/Milvus mounts in my shop. I'll trade you two of the Zeiss/Pentax mounts for a single Leitax mount if you'd like to make a trade.

I'm not writing a book, but if I was - "What's wrong with that?"

I never claimed to be "King" of this thread, however I do have extensive personal experience with every single Zeiss Classic lens (except the 15mm), and six different Zeiss Milvus lenses.
Leitax conversion process for zeiss lenses includes a shave operation with sand paper... Are you sure that your manual process is superior to the mechanical process of Cosina production line ? Have you the same QA control ? I leitaxed myself a lot of Leica R lenses...
You just do you own advertissement for your shop in this thread...

This is my last message... i don't want to be kicked from this forum...

Last edited by cqua77; 12-26-2017 at 03:16 PM.
12-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #1002
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK folks, let's please keep this friendly and respectful, and not make personal comments or insults, or I have to start doing my moderating thing.

Thanks in advance
12-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #1003
Pentaxian

Leitax conversion process for zeiss lenses includes a shave operation with sand paper... Are you sure that your manual process is superior to the mechanical process of Cosina production line ? Have you the same QA control ? I leitaxed myself a lot of Leica R lenses...
You just do you own advertissement for your shop in this thread...
As you know, Leitaxing Leica R lenses does not involve a "shave operation with sand paper". It's simply a remove and replace process.

Leitaxing Zeiss ZF lenses does involve a "shave operation with sand paper". If the lens owner does not ever intend to reverse the conversion (so he can use the lens in the future on a Nikon F-mount camera) then having good quality control during the sanding of the aperture ring is not important .

I am not advertising my services to convert lenses on this thread. These days, I'm far too busy to solicit more work to do. These days I will only do conversions for my "friends" .
12-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #1004
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

You keep making statements like this. The price-value relationship between older Pentax lenses and Zeiss is one obvious reason.
12-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #1005
Marketplace Reseller

Ok so let's me resume :

1/ Buy a Milvus 135 (around 2200 US dollars with B&H)
2/ Pass 6 or 7 hours to adapt the mount with a lot of risk
3/Loose the warranty
4/ You can now say that Zeiss classic or old Pentax A lenses are rubbish...

Honestly, if I want to try a Zeiss from Milvus line, I have the cash to buy a Canon 6D MarkII.
Philosphy of leitax is to adapt old lenses,not modify brand new high class lenses...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-26-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly