Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 04:20 AM - 3 Likes   #1036
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Tas, a real 3d depth to your fisherman photo. Nice!
Thanks Dave, my Makro Planars really were the reason I fell in love with the Zeiss rendering. Here's the Makro Planar 2/50 @f2 in the middle of the day.

Tas

03-05-2018, 07:02 PM - 4 Likes   #1037
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been a while since I've gotten out with the Zeiss, but yesterday I took them all into the big smoke, which is what we call the city in these here parts, with an aim to do some architecture/people/variable light stuff. In the end I just left the 21mm on as I was having fun exploring the vertical point of view with a wide angle. So this is the 21/2.8 on the K-1.

Tas
03-06-2018, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #1038
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Escaping the singularity, no prime pun intended. K-1 and the 21/2.8.

Here's the tale I wrote for this image.

The Ministry of Information

As the sun sets in the city, an air of nonchalance could be interpreted from the actors carefully situated to create a sense of normality.

But the underlying menace of the all-seeing edifice that represents those in power is never far from the surface, and right now it is betrayed only by a lone rebel attempting to flee from the clutches of the dominant singularity. A
singularity that has invisible tentacles reaching out to those it controls. Those seemingly innocuous people who seem to be minding their own business, apparently oblivious to what's going on around them. This is not the case though and a single alarm will soon be raised, and our rebel's very existence will be imperilled.

Will our rebel reach his get away Uber safely?

Tas
03-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #1039
Pentaxian

What a story!

03-06-2018, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #1040
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a story!
I don't get out much Dave.

K-1 and the Planar 85/1.4 @ f5.6

Tas
03-08-2018, 12:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1041
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A third in the series of cityscapes captured earlier this week with the K-1 and the Distagon 21/2.8.

This image was composed and processed differently and more similar to the style of Jim Welninski out of Chicago. Not to say this is to a similar standard, just inspired by some of his work.

Tas
03-09-2018, 05:46 PM - 6 Likes   #1042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one shot with my Distagon 21mm on a recent trip to Florida, Everglades Wildfire:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-24-2018, 02:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1043
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captured some sunrise and early morning images yesterday, mostly Zeiss for the images. This was the K-1 and the Distagon 2/35.

Tas
03-26-2018, 09:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1044
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This image was taken a bit earlier than the image above, both captures were with the Distagon 2/35mm. PP was fixing the WB, bringing down the highlights a bit (blown out in the water reflection) and added contrast to the jetty using a mask.

Tas

X-Post with the K-1 thread.
03-27-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #1045
Pentaxian

I really like the sunstar and the motion blur on the clouds in the second photo. Both of these photos have wonderful colors and a sense of 3D depth!
03-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #1046

I liked the former photo more than the latter photo
03-27-2018, 04:48 PM - 5 Likes   #1047
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the sunstar and the motion blur on the clouds in the second photo. Both of these photos have wonderful colors and a sense of 3D depth!
Ta for the feedback Dave.

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
I liked the former photo more than the latter photo
Same lens but your comment holds true for the saying: if you want to improve your photos get closer.

Here's the Shorncliffe Pier captured with the Distagon 25/2.8 and an ND400 9 stop filter.

Tas

Image X-Posted with Jetties & Piers

Last edited by Tas; 03-27-2018 at 05:10 PM.
04-03-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1048
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Resurgence in Zeiss ZK lenses on the market

I've been regularly monitoring the availability of Zeiss ZK lenses that pop up on eBay ever since my first Makro Planar 2/100 was stolen back in 2012.

It's been interesting to see the ebb and flow of what is available and try and work out why sometimes there's a reasonable amount on offer and other times there's next to none. The K-1 was a big influence on the latter as once it was announced there seemed to be less available and it's remained that way for quite some time.

Anyhoo, I've not been on the 'Bay in a while and as I've saved a search for ZK I thought I'd check it out. What I see is I think another trend, this time assuming my theory is right, it's based on announced Pentax lenses. So I've no proof to base this assumption on other than what I noticed today when I counted the following ZK lenses on offer:

1 x Distagon T* 25/2.8
1 x Distagon T* 28/2
5 x Distagon T* 35/2
1 x Makro Planar T* 50/2
5 x Planar T* 50/1.4 (correction, there is now 4 as one disappeared between me first looking and then returning to the search a bit later)
9 x Planar T* 85/1.4

Of course based on my hypothesis the figures would suggest the announced Pentax 85 was the one coming soon which is not the case but it has been announced as has the Pentax 50/1.4. There is an anomaly to my theory based on these numbers, that being the amount of 35/2 on the market, though the 35/2 is usually a lens around for sale when the others aren't. Some other interesting things about these lenses are where the sellers originate from. Seventeen from Japan, one from S. Korea and three from Singapore. Prices for the 35 and 85 range by close to AU$600 when you disregard the 85mm listed at AU4696, and the 50/1.4 range in price by over AU$360. Some of the prices seem close to rivaling a new purchase whilst others are a bargain or reflecting a less well kept lens maybe. Who knows?

So why the weird post? Well it's just a comment on something I noticed where there's been a resurgence in the number of Zeiss ZK lenses being available via eBay. I've not checked KEH or other options but thought it something worth sharing as they're all good lenses and it's a shame they're not being used, especially with the thread being so quiet of late.

It's also odd to see the Distagon 28/2 and especially the Makro Planar 50/2. These are rare lenses up for sale and as an owner of the 50/2 I know how great that lens is. Personally if I had some money to throw around that 28/2 would be winging it's way to me.

Hopefully the approaching Spring and summer will help with some more action in the thread.

Tas
04-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #1049
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Personally if I had some money to throw around that 28/2 would be winging it's way to me.
It is a very nice lens, and interesting to use as a result of the focal plane shift - quite different for the 35/2
04-14-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #1050
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the quirks of the Zeiss lenses is their tendency to vignette when at their wider apertures. This isn't to everyone's taste but I like it in the right circumstances and find it can be useful. Prior to being fortunate enough to pick up the Distagon 21/2.8 I tended to stop down to about f5.6-f11 when shooting contre jour. I found though that the 21 would over expose at those apertures so are started to shoot it wide open which generates the strongest vignetting and this is now how I like to shoot this lens when shooting into the sun. Of course this means being more careful with the DoF and the potential to make mistakes with that shallow DoF like when your runner and his scooter riding daughter are only just getting into the focal plane as you release the shutter. But there you go.

Tas

X-Post with the K-1 pictures thread.