Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 03:56 PM - 5 Likes   #1051
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The right time for a Cityscape

I've been meaning to get out and do a cityscape pano during the blue hour for ages but kept putting it off. Late last month I had one of those spur of the moment motivations to grab my gear and go capture the city at sunset. As the blue hour follows it's just a matter of patience for the right light in the sky and the right amount of lights in buildings to work. This image is a stitch of 8 frames in portrait orientation captured using the K-1 and the Makro Planar 50/2. Composition-wise I think it works okay but apparently I didn't have enough overlap in the foreground on the right so the yacht is too close to the edge of frame. I think it would work okay as a print though so thought it worth sharing with those into Zeiss lenses.

Tas

04-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #1052
Veteran Member

Looks pretty great to me...
04-19-2018, 02:58 AM - 5 Likes   #1053
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Looks pretty great to me...
Cheers mate.

Here's another Zeiss cityscape with the often dissed Distagon 25/2.8. The image included the use of a Hoya NDX400 (9 stop) filter and a Cokin ND4 (2 stop) soft grad.

Tas

X-Post with the K-1 pics thread.
04-21-2018, 08:26 PM - 4 Likes   #1054
Veteran Member

Life has been pretty hectic lately, so I haven't had much time for photography but here's some recent photos.

Zeiss 2/135 APO

Newest addition (ok 2 months ago). Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50

04-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #1055
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Life has been pretty hectic lately, so I haven't had much time for photography but here's some recent photos.

Zeiss 2/135 APO

A nice pair of images mate, very crisp and indeed well worth jumping over to Flickr to view both larger on the black matte. I especially like the DoF effect with the street shot and hope you get to share more of your images with us.

Tas
04-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #1056
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote

Zeiss 2/135 APO

Yes, that street shot is very nice
05-16-2018, 10:41 AM - 5 Likes   #1057
Veteran Member

ZK 100mm/F2.... Always a pleasure to use.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #1058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
ZK 100mm/F2.... Always a pleasure to use.
Well done subidoc. I particularly like the quality of the out-of-focus blur in all of your Zeiss 100/2 images. Couple that with it's close focusing ability and you've got one fantastic lens there.

Also, because the newer Milvus version features identical optics (except for coatings) I've seen no need for me to upgrade my Leitaxed Zeiss ZF "Classic" 100/2 lens to the newer "Milvus" version.
05-16-2018, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #1059
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Well done subidoc. I particularly like the quality of the out-of-focus blur in all of your Zeiss 100/2 images. Couple that with it's close focusing ability and you've got one fantastic lens there.

Also, because the newer Milvus version features identical optics (except for coatings) I've seen no need for me to upgrade my Leitaxed Zeiss ZF "Classic" 100/2 lens to the newer "Milvus" version.
Thank you! I remember some wise words spoken to me a few decades ago.. "If you have a $50 lens and a $1000 camera, you get $50 pictures. If you have a $1000 lens and a $50 camera, you get $1000 pictures." Of course, it isn't meant so literally, but the message wasn't lost on me. I spent decades putting together my lens set before upgrading my *ist DS to the K5. I still feel like I am learning..., but having a good lens helps.

Thanks for the encouragement, and sharing your view on the Milvus lenses.

Cheers!
05-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #1060
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From one of my last trips out with my camera I was swapping between wide angle and tele along the Brisbane river around dusk. This is the K-1 and Makro Planar 2/100.

In hindsight I should probably have cropped this to 16:9 to remove some sky/foreground.

Tas
05-25-2018, 04:16 AM   #1061
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
From one of my last trips out with my camera I was swapping between wide angle and tele along the Brisbane river around dusk. This is the K-1 and Makro Planar 2/100.

In hindsight I should probably have cropped this to 16:9 to remove some sky/foreground.

Tas
Nicely done, fantastic colors!

06-08-2018, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1062
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Nicely done, fantastic colors!
Ta mate.

The Zeiss lenses do produce some great colours.

Some FYI for those shooting Zeiss or other manual lenses with their K-1.

Back when I first started shooting Zeiss glass on my K5 I really struggled shooting wider apertures. In the end I went to focusingscreen.com and sourced a Canon S type screen. The fitted spacer for the Pentax focusing screen needed to be swapped out for one of those provided with the screen. Once I did this it made a huge difference for shooting with a manual lens. Unfortunately I had some etching done on that screen to assist framing a scene and these meant that sometimes the exposure metering would be wrong in portrait orientation. Other than this and managing to capture some annoying dust bunnies, the S type focusing screen was a bonus for manual shooting.

With the K-1 I've struggled to get manual focusing correct, even with the aid of focus confirmation. This was especially so with wider apertures on my Zeiss lenses. A few months back I bought an S type screen for my K-1. So far it's sat in its packaging up until yesterday. This was when I decided to 'throw caution to the wind' and installed it in the K-1. Just like last time, it's fiddly (even more so than the K5), susceptible to dust intrusion if you're not careful and after testing I found the spacer needed to be replaced. How did it go? Well the image above was shot at f2 and is from a walkaround I did with some Zeiss lenses to test the S type focusing screen in the K-1.

From this small amount of testing all I can say is I don't know why I took so long to do this as the difference is marked. The ability to quickly identify when a the focal point is correct has returned and from that I might need to add one more spacer to get it spot on. The difference is minimal though so I may just leave it.

A major difference with shooting using the S type focusing screen is I can quickly identify the chosen focal point as being in-focus and can shoot confidently quick because of it. With the standard K-1 focusing screen I'd be back and forth hunting the correct point and 'missing the moment' quite regularly. For me it's been well worth the stress of worrying about duffing up my camera (I didn't) and for the one bit of fluff I managed to capture (which I can live with).

The last test for now was to see if the change would be negative with AF lenses. Accordingly I also tested both manual and AF focusing on the D-FA* 70-200mm for any problems and cannot find one. Set at f2.8 focus was spot on, and in MF was way easier to see the focal point correctly. So all in all if you tend to shoot manual this is a worthwhile change to consider.

Tas

X-post with the K-1 photos thread.
06-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #1063
Veteran Member

I went the same route for my K-5, and the S-type screen did wonders for my MF lenses. I appreciate your feedback on the issue of MF with the K1. I'm finding it hard to consider the upgrade since I don't use AF lenses. I think I will hold on to the K-5 for now, and resist all temptation.

06-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #1064
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Some FYI for those shooting Zeiss or other manual lenses with their K-1.
Thanks Tas. The info you have shared is really useful.
06-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #1065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, thanks for the info.