Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 12:05 AM   #1096
Veteran Member

Heya! I need a bit of help here. I just purchased K-mount 50mm Makro Planar but it does not focus to infinity on my K-1 mk2. Infinity stop is reached a tiny bit too soon. Does anyone have any experience adjusting the register distance? According to this article: http://www.martinzimelka.com/homepage/Blog/Entries/2017/8/29_Repairing_Zeiss...us_Wobble.html there might be infinity focusing adjustment shims in place.

07-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #1097
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Heya! I need a bit of help here. I just purchased K-mount 50mm Makro Planar but it does not focus to infinity on my K-1 mk2. Infinity stop is reached a tiny bit too soon. Does anyone have any experience adjusting the register distance? According to this article: Repairing Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 ZF2 Focus Wobble there might be infinity focusing adjustment shims in place.
I had a few of the Zeiss K mount lenses, and I believe these should have infinity focus at the hard stop. My new Loxia trio however all have infinity focus befóre the hard stop, which is by design: changing conditions might affect the infinity hard stop accuracy, at least that is what I read. So to ensure availability of infinity focus in all circumstances, Zeiss adjusts the infinity focus just befóre the hard stop.
But with the EVF magnification this is no problem, whereas with the K5IIs, I did have to rely on the hard stop, because I could not judge focus accuracy through the OVF.

Anyhow, I believe common practice here in Europe, is to send the lens to Zeiss Oberkochen for adjustment.
Would you seriously disassemble a lens like the truly wonderful 50MP (still miss it) yourself?

Chris
07-10-2018, 04:43 AM   #1098
Veteran Member

I have Leitaxed two ZF lenses before so it it is not that hard I guess. But yes, as this lens is in perfectly MINT condition I have some hesitations to start digging in there...There is no serious issue other than shooting nearly wide open (astro for example) to get stars to perfect focus. If I stop down to f/5.6 or so infinity gets pulled in focus when I turn the focusing ring to infinity end of the scale. Minor issue but I want to get it fixed.
07-10-2018, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #1099
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Would you seriously disassemble a lens like the truly wonderful 50MP (still miss it) yourself?

Chris
hehe.

A number of us (myself included) have modified these beautiful lens from nikon mounts to pentax mounts.

That having been said. I'm not sure I would trust my self to try and calibrate a lens of this quality.

07-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #1100
Veteran Member

This why I am asking if someone has actually dismantled these lenses to pieces to find existence of shims in there If there are, I am willing to take the risk. It is a matter of removing one or two super slim metal rings to fix the register distance a tiny bit to bring the lens groups closer to sensor. Which, in this case, would instantly allow a bit past infinity focusing as it should be.
07-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #1101
Pentaxian

Heya! I need a bit of help here. I just purchased K-mount 50mm Makro Planar but it does not focus to infinity on my K-1 mk2. Infinity stop is reached a tiny bit too soon. Does anyone have any experience adjusting the register distance? According to this article: Repairing Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 ZF2 Focus Wobble there might be infinity focusing adjustment shims in place.
It's simple - do it all the time.

All one has to do is either add or remove those extremely thin copper shims to taste.

Having working on various lenses, I tend to keep extra shims around for that very purpose...
07-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #1102
Veteran Member

So, there indeed are shims by default in these .ZF lenses?

07-16-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #1103
Pentaxian

So, there indeed are shims by default in these .ZF lenses?
Some Zeiss lenses have no shims. Some have one shim. Some have up to 3 or 4 shims.

Also, to complicate matters, shims come in 3 different thicknesses!

If one isn't doing astrophotograhy, I don't see a great need for a "precise" hard-stop at the infinity mark on your Zeiss lens. If you never do astrophotography you may not have a need for any of these shims in your lenses.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-16-2018 at 04:24 PM.
07-16-2018, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1104
Pentaxian

OK, back to posting some photos..

Here's a photo that I took today in my backyard garden. Nothing special, just a pot of petunias.

Used my K1 with adapted Zeiss ZF Makro Planar 100mm f/2. Shot it wide open of course. I really like the bokeh that this lens makes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-29-2018 at 06:36 AM.
07-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #1105
Veteran Member

Right. Thanks for details! Maybe Samy 35/1.4 fits my astrotracer needs.
07-22-2018, 08:53 PM - 3 Likes   #1106
Pentaxian

OK, here's another photo I took today with my adapted Zeiss Milvus ZF 85mm f/1.4 lens on my Pentax K-1 camera.

I shot it at f/2 of course. Reason - I bought this lens horribly broken. When I repaired it, I could not get the aperture to work fully, so I permanently set it to f/2..

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.
07-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #1107
Marketplace Reseller

I don`t do this usually, but there is a set of Zeiss ZK on ebay (not mine

Zeiss 28mm F2 + Zeiss 50mm F2 makro + Zeiss 100mm F2 Makro.

Not sure if it it is a bargain, but if somebody search to begin with zeiss lenses in zk mount....
07-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #1108

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
number of us (myself included) have modified these beautiful lens from nikon mounts to pentax mounts.That having been said. I'm not sure I would trust my self to try and calibrate a lens of this quality.
Would you be good enough to tell / explain how to change a nikon mount to pentax I have been thinking of trying to do this. So many Zeiss lenses are not made in K mounts
07-26-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #1109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobSpot Quote
Would you be good enough to tell / explain how to change a nikon mount to pentax I have been thinking of trying to do this. So many Zeiss lenses are not made in K mounts
You can read about it at the Leitax site here. Alternately, you can take advantage of Fenwoodian's extensive experience refitting/repairing lenses and hire him to do it.
07-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #1110

Thank you for the link to Leitax it opens up a whole new world of options.
How much better / sharper are the images from the new Milvus range compared with the historic Planar Pancolar Distagon lenses ?