Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1162 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #1141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zeiss 25/2.8 Distagon

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just received a new Zeiss 25/2.8 Distagon from a seller in Italy. It arrived very quick, great communication, new in a factory sealed box! I see that there are two remaining new in stock.

Zeiss 25mm F 2.8 ZK Distagon Lens for PENTAX K Warranty Fowa | eBay

Hope that link works

12-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #1142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone who likes using manual focus lenses naturally covets the ones from Zeiss. Over several years I have accumulated a set of 6 Zeiss ZF-2 lenses for my Nikon system, and when I got a K-1, I started immediately looking for the ZK versions for that camera, but those have proven to be much harder to find.

So it's good to know that some of the Zeiss ZK lenses can still be found somewhere. I've managed to obtain the 50/2, 35/2 and 25/2.8 domestically but have never seen the 100/2 or 21/2.8 offered for sale, new or used in the U.S. Some of the ZK lenses which are offered on Ebay or the Pentax Forums are from outside the U.S, but. I've never tried importing lenses from other countries, so I've no idea of what complications might be involved with Customs Duties, etc. What was the process like?
12-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #1143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaldeck Quote
Anyone who likes using manual focus lenses naturally covets the ones from Zeiss. Over several years I have accumulated a set of 6 Zeiss ZF-2 lenses for my Nikon system, and when I got a K-1, I started immediately looking for the ZK versions for that camera, but those have proven to be much harder to find.

So it's good to know that some of the Zeiss ZK lenses can still be found somewhere. I've managed to obtain the 50/2, 35/2 and 25/2.8 domestically but have never seen the 100/2 or 21/2.8 offered for sale, new or used in the U.S. Some of the ZK lenses which are offered on Ebay or the Pentax Forums are from outside the U.S, but. I've never tried importing lenses from other countries, so I've no idea of what complications might be involved with Customs Duties, etc. What was the process like?
No problem at all with this seller. Multiple tracking updates. Three day UPS shipping from Italy. Sailed through customs in both countries.
12-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #1144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Zeiss ZF lenses can be converted to Pentax mount:

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

12-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #1145
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never tried importing lenses from other countries, so I've no idea of what complications might be involved with Customs Duties, etc. What was the process like?
I've yet to get hit with custom charges, but a number of people in Europe and Canada have been charged when I sent a lens I sold them.

Most of the Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses I have bought (which is every Voigtlander and nearly all of the Zeiss lenses) were purchased overseas. Of those, 90% were purchased from Japan. I used to constantly monitor Ebay for Japanese sellers because of how well they care for their lenses, how honestly they represent their lenses, and the great bargains one can find by being patient.

Last edited by les3547; 12-16-2018 at 03:46 PM.
12-31-2018, 07:21 PM - 5 Likes   #1146
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One from this morning, K-1 and the Distagon 21/2.8 ZK.

All the best for 2019 everyone, hope to see plenty more images captured with Zeiss lenses to make up for the thread being a bit quiet in 2018.

Tas
01-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #1147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
K-1 and the Makro Planar T* 2/100mm @ f2.

Tas

You again remind me why this lens is on my wish list. Well done!

01-02-2019, 11:36 PM   #1148
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So it's good to know that some of the Zeiss ZK lenses can still be found somewhere. I've managed to obtain the 50/2, 35/2 and 25/2.8 domestically but have never seen the 100/2 or 21/2.8 offered for sale, new or used in the U.S.
I have kept an eye on availability, as I am interested in both these lenses. The ZK 100/2 comes up for sale about once every 2 years, but blink and you miss. The ZK 21/2.8 is rarer than hens teeth, I have only seen one for sale in the past 5 years.
01-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #1149
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have kept an eye on availability, as I am interested in both these lenses. The ZK 100/2 comes up for sale about once every 2 years, but blink and you miss. The ZK 21/2.8 is rarer than hens teeth, I have only seen one for sale in the past 5 years.
The only Zeiss lens I've owned that comes in the ZK mount, but which I bought Leitaxed instead was the 21/2.8 (I now have two other Leitaxed Zeiss lenses - 25/2 and 135/2 -but they aren't made for the ZK mount). I believe I paid $890 for a near mint 21/2.8 ZF.2 version that I had Dave (Fenwoodian) Leitax for me. Now that I've used Leitaxed lenses extensively, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one I really wanted because using them is no hassle. On ZF.2 models, one still gets focus register (which I seldom use anyway - find my eye better at focusing - and if one can get by without focus register, the 21/2.8 ZF can be had for a real bargain), so one only needs to deal manually with F stops . . . and it's simple! I typically leave the lens at F4; I can see and focus easily there, and then if I am shooting on the fly I just count the clicks to get to 5.6 or 8 etc. But since the 21/2.8 is used primarily for landscapes, it isn't especially important to adjust F stops fast and focus is typically at infinity anyway. IOW, I don't why know more people interested in the superb quality of the 21/2.8 don't grab a ZF.2 version at half or even 1/3 the price on Ebay.

Last edited by les3547; 03-01-2019 at 09:30 AM.
01-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #1150
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
The only Zeiss lens I've owned that comes in the ZK mount, but which I bought Leitaxed instead was the 21/2.8 (I now have two other Leitaxed Zeiss lenses - 25/2 and 135/2 -but they aren't made for the ZK mount). I believe I paid $890 for a near mint 21/2.8 ZF.2 version that I had Dave (Fenwoodian) Leitax for me. Now that I've used Leitaxed lenses extensively, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one I really wanted because using them is no hassle. On ZF.2 models, one still gets focus register (which I seldom use anyway - find my eye better at focusing - and if one can get by without focus register, the 21/2.8 ZF can be had for a real bargain), so one only needs to deal manually with F stops . . . and it's simple! I typically leave the lens at F4; I can see and focus easily there, and then if I am shooting on the fly I just count the clicks to get to 5.6 or 8 etc. But since the 21/2.8 is used primarily for landscapes, it isn't especially important to adjust F stops fast and focus is typically at infinity anyway. IOW, I don't why know more people interested in the superb quality of the 21/2.8 don't grab a ZF.2 version at half or even 1/3 the price. Check out this page of 21/2.8 lenses on Ebay now that include a number quality ZF.2 versions
Hi Les, thanks for that feedback. I have brought a few lenses off Dave over the years, so I am well aware of what he has been doing with Leitaxed lenses. I have a Leica R 90/2.8 that I Leitaxed myself, and it works as you have explained.

Last year I brought the Voigtlander 20mm to use for wide landscapes, but the way the year turned out I haven't used it much yet. In August and September I was in the US and went to Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. I ended up taking my Zeiss 28/2 for that trip, and was very pleased with the results I got.

I have thought about a Leitaxed Zeiss ZF.2 21mm but haven't got there yet. There have been other priorities in the past 2 years, and I still have to get a K-1, which might be a better idea to use the 21mm with. I have an LX and have been enjoying using my Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses on it - they work well, of course also with manual aperture selection.

Cheers,

Ross
01-26-2019, 07:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Confession time: I've been lurking on this Zeiss club thread for some time, drooling over the wonderful images here, and it inspired me over the last 12 months to lay my hands on the 35/2 and then (thanks to Les3547) the 28/2. There is definitely something very special about the Zeiss Distagon look, and once I started shooting with the 35/2 I knew I wanted more of these lenses. But it was especially Tas's images with the 21/2.8 that wowed me.

Well, on Friday I Leitaxed a ZF 21/2.8 and yesterday I took it out for a walk around Melbourne, and I'm not disappointed! What impresses me particularly, apart from the extraordinary punchiness of the microcontrast and colours, is the absence of distortion in such a wide angle. I know that I'm going to have a lot of fun with the possibilities of this lens.

Here's a few shots. First with the 21/2.8

Now with the 28/2

And finally, a couple with the 35/2

01-26-2019, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #1152
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by buberfan Quote
Well, on Friday I Leitaxed a ZF 21/2.8 and yesterday I took it out for a walk around Melbourne, and I'm not disappointed! What impresses me particularly, apart from the extraordinary punchiness of the microcontrast and colours, is the absence of distortion in such a wide angle. I know that I'm going to have a lot of fun with the possibilities of this lens.
Congratulations on the ZF 21, and thanks for sharing your images. I really like the sunset
02-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #1153

Hi, All:
I’m thinking of getting the Zeiss Makro-planar 100mm f2 lens w/ ZF.2
As for adapter, my Q: is there possible to use a adapter ring: Macro Nikon ZF.2 Lens to M42 Camera mount then again use a second adapter ring from M42 to Pentax K camera mount? Would this work? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank
Here is the Ebay link for ZF.2 to M42 adapter ring:
Macro Nikon F mount AI AF Lens to M42 screw mount ADAPTER Pentax Zenit Prakticar | eBay
02-04-2019, 02:38 AM   #1154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CooperPete Quote
Hi, All:
As for adapter, my Q: is there possible to use a adapter ring: Macro Nikon ZF.2 Lens to M42 Camera mount then again use a second adapter ring from M42 to Pentax K camera mount? Would this work?
Yes, it will. For macro only.
If you want the lens for general use, the only solution is to remove the bayonet and replace it with a Leitax one.
It needs some sanding if I remember correctly.
02-28-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #1155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CooperPete Quote
Hi, All:
As for adapter, my Q: is there possible to use a adapter ring: Macro Nikon ZF.2 Lens to M42 Camera mount then again use a second adapter ring from M42 to Pentax K camera mount? Would this work? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank
Here is the Ebay link for ZF.2 to M42 adapter ring:
Macro Nikon F mount AI AF Lens to M42 screw mount ADAPTER Pentax Zenit Prakticar | eBay
I would not advise doing that. Why put two cheap, poorly made adapters on a $1000 lens (alignment issues, front heavy issues)? Also, you will loose infinity focus - I'd guess with such a set up you'd likely turn your Zeiss lens into a macro only lens.