Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pentax K85/1.8

Wonderful street portraits!

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2014 at 20:55 ----------

A7+Pentax K24/2.8

K24/2.8 a real lovely lens.
Pretty good flare resistant with the SMC, small and wide enough more most things.
Beautiful dreamy scene!

06-17-2014, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

I took the SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5 to the dog park last night with my A7r. I've been really eager to try this one out on a 35mm sensor.

These are all at f/2.8, or whatever the f-stop is on the click between f/2.5 and f/4.

I think I'm going to have to use this lens more often.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 06-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
06-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A7R and A24 - 50 /4 Zoom . Just tried it as a walk around lens 1st 24mm 2nd 50mm works ok but i still prefer my A primes
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7R  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7R  Photo 
06-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragon132312 Quote
A7R and A24 - 50 /4 Zoom . Just tried it as a walk around lens 1st 24mm 2nd 50mm works ok but i still prefer my A primes
same here , I prefer using primes but hate changing lenses , I Tried my sigma 24-70 ( close focussing version) on my A7R and it really is a nice combo. I pretty much shot all of vivid with this lens.

06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
same here , I prefer using primes but hate changing lenses , I Tried my sigma 24-70 ( close focussing version) on my A7R and it really is a nice combo. I pretty much shot all of vivid with this lens.
I went to vivid with my Daughter and she was using the A7r as she interested in getting one this was the first time using it she needs to learn to stop down a bit for DOF , Just had two lenses with me A50 /1.2 and A20 /2.8 , I should have brought the 135 or 200mm for distance shots two from that night Jpegs SOOC
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7R  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7R  Photo 
06-19-2014, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #156
Veteran Member

Edit: I've been Busy with the A7R since I purchased it about a Month ago and Finally got around to Processing some of my images ,

Nice Dog Park shots Scratchpaddy .
06-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #157
Veteran Member

@Pinholecam, you should make a video or write an article about your workflow / focusing technique with the sony A7 and adapted glass. The technical quality of the shots you posted is excelent.

I really enjoyed this thread so far. Curious to see a DFA100 shot on FF.

06-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Scratchpaddy, nice dog shots.
the 135/2.5 is very nice on FF.
The working distance is closer to me and much easier to work with w/o something/ppl getting into the frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
@Pinholecam, you should make a video or write an article about your workflow / focusing technique with the sony A7 and adapted glass. The technical quality of the shots you posted is excelent.

I really enjoyed this thread so far. Curious to see a DFA100 shot on FF.
Thanks

I am trying not to actually (as in documenting the use of the camera)
I don't love Sony nor the way they make cameras. (technically very competent, but not too intuitive as a camera maker, to me)
So other than taking photos with my Pentax and other MF lenses on the A7, I don't feel inclined to 'push it' as a camera to Pentaxians (Sorry)

The other reality is that its really a personal choice and a $1500-$2000 one which I am not comfortable pushing the idea of this camera to ppl.
Not when it does have issues. Namely :
1. Sensor reflection
2. Adapter light leaks (depends on adapter)
3. EVF (for good and bad; some guys just can't get round it or just hate it)
4. Peaking is not as accurate as its touted to be.
5. Not as well thought out menu/options that flow well for a photographer (can be lived with, but its an irritation)
6. Not a comprehensive selection of lenses.

This is a camera that one has to make up his own mind on purchasing and hopefully be fully aware of its problems.

Ok. Disclaimers aside
On focusing with the camera, there is nothing special that I do.
Its usually on peaking level 'mid'.
If I can afford to, I use the magnification button.
If things are happening too fast, I'd just rely on the peaking to get near to the focus and then be decisive on when the subject becomes 'sharp' in the EVF.
If it looks sharp enough, its usually sharp enough.
There are actually other visual queues that can be used too.
There is a 'shimmer' sort of like 'moire' on the area that is in peak focus (watch out for that if possible)
Focus like how the camera would with CDAF, move focus fast, observe the peaking and then quickly revert the focus to get back to the point of intended focus, with the knowledge of how much 'peak' to expect.

---------- Post added 06-22-2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

Back to picts.

What do you do at the perfect sunrise location with everything setup, when a wedding couple approaches you for permission to use that same spot for their wedding photo?

Get angry?
Get in the way?

Its a once in a lifetime thing.
So I let then use the spot.
Also thought that they would actually add something to the pict

'Stole' the flash off the couple's photographer by dragging the shutter.

Pentax K24/2.8
06-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The working distance is closer to me and much easier to work with w/o something/ppl getting into the frame.

Thanks

I am trying not to actually (as in documenting the use of the camera)
I don't love Sony nor the way they make cameras. (technically very competent, but not too intuitive as a camera maker, to me)
So other than taking photos with my Pentax and other MF lenses on the A7, I don't feel inclined to 'push it' as a camera to Pentaxians (Sorry)

The other reality is that its really a personal choice and a $1500-$2000 one which I am not comfortable pushing the idea of this camera to ppl.
Not when it does have issues. Namely :
1. Sensor reflection
2. Adapter light leaks (depends on adapter)
3. EVF (for good and bad; some guys just can't get round it or just hate it)
4. Peaking is not as accurate as its touted to be.
5. Not as well thought out menu/options that flow well for a photographer (can be lived with, but its an irritation)
6. Not a comprehensive selection of lenses.

This is a camera that one has to make up his own mind on purchasing and hopefully be fully aware of its problems.

Ok. Disclaimers aside
On focusing with the camera, there is nothing special that I do.
Its usually on peaking level 'mid'.
If I can afford to, I use the magnification button.
If things are happening too fast, I'd just rely on the peaking to get near to the focus and then be decisive on when the subject becomes 'sharp' in the EVF.
If it looks sharp enough, its usually sharp enough.
There are actually other visual queues that can be used too.
There is a 'shimmer' sort of like 'moire' on the area that is in peak focus (watch out for that if possible)
Focus like how the camera would with CDAF, move focus fast, observe the peaking and then quickly revert the focus to get back to the point of intended focus, with the knowledge of how much 'peak' to expect.

---------- Post added 06-22-2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

Back to picts.

What do you do at the perfect sunrise location with everything setup, when a wedding couple approaches you for permission to use that same spot for their wedding photo?

Get angry?
Get in the way?

Pentax K24/2.8
Wow, what a great catch, sometime it is better to be lucky and good!
06-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #160
Pentaxian

...What do you do at the perfect sunrise location with everything setup, when a wedding couple approaches you for permission to use that same spot for their wedding photo?

Get angry?
Get in the way?

Pentax K24/2.8
A wonderful image!
I think they would be lucky if their photographer came up with something as great.
06-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #161
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
Wow, what a great catch, sometime it is better to be lucky and good!
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
A wonderful image!
I think they would be lucky if their photographer came up with something as great.

Thanks, I'm sure their photographer got almost the same shot.

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 06:48 AM ----------

with the A50/1.4 in a market that I happend to pass by.
Quite a pity that it was already noon and most of the activity was over.

06-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Especially the 2nd image shows great microcontrast (3d rendering) again.
06-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Nice Dog Park shots Scratchpaddy .
Thanks, Disco and Pinholecam! You both have some fantastic people shots on this page. About those 135mm lenses, I've always loved the way my two 135's rendered, but they were a little too long for my tastes. With the larger sensor, I could hardly ask for more.

I've always been shy about people shots, so I hope you don't get sick of dogs instead. These are with the A 50 f/1.2, which I've always felt was really something special between f/1.4 and f/2.

f/1.4

f/1.2

It's also the most expensive lens I own.
06-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Thanks, Disco and Pinholecam! You both have some fantastic people shots on this page. About those 135mm lenses, I've always loved the way my two 135's rendered, but they were a little too long for my tastes. With the larger sensor, I could hardly ask for more.

I've always been shy about people shots, so I hope you don't get sick of dogs instead. These are with the A 50 f/1.2, which I've always felt was really something special between f/1.4 and f/2.

f/1.4

f/1.2

Its a great lens mine lives on my A7r
06-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote

I've always been shy about people shots, so I hope you don't get sick of dogs instead. These are with the A 50 f/1.2, which I've always felt was really something special between f/1.4 and

Dog shots are always welcome

The Pentax 50/1.2 is arguably the best one of the f1.2
Smoother bokeh, not as busy OOF in most situations, also smaller and compactly well built.
I've got the Canon FD55/1.2 SSC and the Revuenon 55/1.2 and the K50/1.2 and the K50/1.2 is the most consistent and reliable of the lot. (in terms of rendition)
I've also viewed lots of Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 shots (which is a well reputed lens), but it can be really wonky in OOF rendering depending on focus distance and bkgnd type.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-30-2014 at 07:20 PM.