Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1047 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #286
Inactive Account

I have been trying to work with those exact characteristics on tree shots. Only two or three serious outings, so I need a lot more practice. Will try next year.

All with the FA31 at f2.8. A lens I am still trying to understand. It is not a high contrast lens and not critically sharp until f4 or so. But it is more detailed then others (say the FA35/2) and has very smooth out of focus rendering. I am interested to learn about experiences from others.

12-25-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
I have been trying to work with those exact characteristics on tree shots. Only two or three serious outings, so I need a lot more practice. Will try next year.

All with the FA31 at f2.8. A lens I am still trying to understand. It is not a high contrast lens and not critically sharp until f4 or so. But it is more detailed then others (say the FA35/2) and has very smooth out of focus rendering. I am interested to learn about experiences from others.

The last four certainly shows off the smooth transition well (and dimensional look).

Its certainly worth it to go over our lenses and 're-learn' about them.
I've been trying to do that too, by keeping to one lens a week. (a month would be best, but I don't have the courage)
Unfortunately, LBA has the better of me, so I really got a lot to go thru and re-learn.

I find that the 31ltd is an all round lens.
Not just the shallow DOF part with smooth OOF.
I can't say that I have got a lot of experience of it on FF for now, so its still a lot to try/learn.

Able to give isolation with a wider FOV when needed.
DSC0668720140417ILCE-7 by
jenkwang, on Flickr

DSC0668420140417ILCE-7-1 by
jenkwang, on Flickr

nice walkabout lens in terms of FL and DOF control.
DSC0112120140713ILCE-7 by
jenkwang, on Flickr

But I am really just scratching the surface.

---------- Post added 12-26-2014 at 08:06 AM ----------

A shot from yesterday.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qv15bq][/ur]

Super Takumar v1 135/2.5

Last edited by pinholecam; 12-26-2014 at 01:04 AM.
12-26-2014, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #288
Inactive Account

Nice work Pinholecam. Being Dutch, I particularly like the tulips :-). The dog shot is fun!

I agree, the FA31 is a lovely walk-around lens. The size and ergonomics are right, angle of view is very versatile, the ability to vary depth of focus is very important - and probably the main advantage of full frame in the first place.

Here are some shots from a practice walk in Amsterdam. Rather crappy framing I must admit, but since there is little on the FA31 on full frame on the internet and they show the OOF characteristics I post them anyway. No sharpening or PP applied (expect for the downsizing by Aperture and whatever Smugmug does).

@2.8

@2.8, close ups are very nice with the 31

@2.8, harsh sky ruins the shot - as does the silly tourist thing. But rendering of OOF areas at several distances is obvious.

@5.6 (I think) - very good detail. The P on the parking signs and the name of the hotel (both signs are hardly visible at this size) van easily be read at 100%

12-26-2014, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the examples of the 31mm on FF!

I finally have some images to contribute to this thread.
With the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 LTM Special (M39) on M9-P

And for somewhat "wild" out of focus rendering

12-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #290
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice work Pinholecam. Being Dutch, I particularly like the tulips :-). The dog shot is fun!

I agree, the FA31 is a lovely walk-around lens. The size and ergonomics are right, angle of view is very versatile, the ability to vary depth of focus is very important - and probably the main advantage of full frame in the first place.

Here are some shots from a practice walk in Amsterdam. Rather crappy framing I must admit, but since there is little on the FA31 on full frame on the internet and they show the OOF characteristics I post them anyway. No sharpening or PP applied (expect for the downsizing by Aperture and whatever Smugmug does).

@2.8

I can almost reach out and grab that handbag!

Really appreciate your examples of working with what the FA31ltd can do on FF.

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I really like the examples of the 31mm on FF!

I finally have some images to contribute to this thread.
With the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 LTM Special (M39) on M9-P

And for somewhat "wild" out of focus rendering
A friend of mine has this lens.
Very lovely lens indeed.

Here is a shot from my 'normal' 43ltd.

12-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I can almost reach out and grab that handbag!

Really appreciate your examples of working with what the FA31ltd can do on FF.

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 05:04 PM ----------

A friend of mine has this lens.
Very lovely lens indeed.

Here is a shot from my 'normal' 43ltd.

Thank you.
Great looking lens indeed. I have the black version. Reminds me somewhat of the Takumars.
Very useful field of view.

Wonderful example with the real 43!
I must admit I still miss using my pentax lenses.
12-27-2014, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #292
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FA135/2.8

Nice lens, but unfortunately not the most idea for MF.
The focus throw was just too short and lacked any damping (no wonder it focuses so fast in AF compared to most FA lenses)

12-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #293
Inactive Account

Excellent work with the 43mm, both in K-mount and M39 versions. It seems that it is not that much loved as the other limiteds, with complaints stating that it is soft wide open. Well, I love it. It is super sharp @2.8 which is a far more logical f-stop. Very high quality optics.

And nice to see a capture with the FA135 - beautiful scenery. I agree with you on the ergonomics, on the K5 using autofocus it is wonderful. Optically I really like this 135mm. It has a softness over it which is very pleasing for portraits. But the softness is deceptive, as it is really very sharp and detailled. Close focussing (70cm's) is also a real strength. The weakness is CA. Since I am usually attracted by wide angle shooting, I have only few examples taken with this lens.

12-28-2014, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #294
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent work with the 43mm, both in K-mount and M39 versions. It seems that it is not that much loved as the other limiteds, with complaints stating that it is soft wide open. Well, I love it. It is super sharp @2.8 which is a far more logical f-stop. Very high quality optics.

And nice to see a capture with the FA135 - beautiful scenery. I agree with you on the ergonomics, on the K5 using autofocus it is wonderful. Optically I really like this 135mm. It has a softness over it which is very pleasing for portraits. But the softness is deceptive, as it is really very sharp and detailled. Close focussing (70cm's) is also a real strength. The weakness is CA. Since I am usually attracted by wide angle shooting, I have only few examples taken with this lens.

Nice shots, I like the portrait the best.

Totally agree with the FA135. Very sharp lens, optically nice o/p and too bad about the CA, or else it would be a #1 level lens.

FA43ltd, its actually sharp enough wide open, so I don't know if ppl talk about this 'softness' as a way to put in down (wrt their preferred options) or their expectations is much more.
I've seen that comment quite a bit on other forums.
I like to use it a 'lil' bit stopped down and the sharpness already jumps (f2.5 on the native camera which has the setting or a half way between f1.9 and f2.8 ignoring no click stop)
Nonetheless, there may be other options out there, but the 43ltd is what I already have and I have been happy with it so far.

Another one from the FA43ltd.

12-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #295
Pentaxian

That 135mm has a beautiful out of focus rendering!

The 43mm has a strong microcontrast and gives a great background separation. Like in your example.

On aps-c, I found the field of view rather restrictive but on FF, it really works for me.
I would love to use the 31mm on FF as well
12-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #296
Inactive Account

I agree, the 43mm angle is much more versatile on full frame compared to crop.

Btw you can use a FA31 with a Leica - just upgrade to the M (type 240) :-)

Fun image Pinholecam! And a great sense of depth.
12-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #297
Pentaxian

Ah but the M type 240 has two things against it:
it has no CCD sensor. That sensor in the M9 was a major argument for me.

the other thing? Cost

But I am keeping an eye on the Sony A7 line though!
I see great results but I'm not convinced - yet - about the ergonomics for using it solely as a platform for Pentax lenses.
Best thing would be something from Pentax itself of course. Be it reflex or mirror-less.
Right
12-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #298
Inactive Account

There is definitely room for improvement ergonomics wise (and Pentax probably would do better there), in terms of functionality it is all there. Which would be my third minus for the Leica -> not well developed on the live view side (centre spot zooming only, aging EVF).

Here some from the K17/fish

(perhaps a double post - not sure)
12-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #299
Pentaxian

Great use of a fish eye!
12-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #300
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is definitely room for improvement ergonomics wise (and Pentax probably would do better there), in terms of functionality it is all there. Which would be my third minus for the Leica -> not well developed on the live view side (centre spot zooming only, aging EVF).

Here some from the K17/fish

(perhaps a double post - not sure)

Good use of the Fisheye.

Agreed on the A7 usage wise.
Functional, but just missing those nitty gritty bits that make the photographic use flow better imo.
I certainly hope Pentax will do better.

My money is reserved for a Pentax FF for 2015, they just need to make one.

Some more shots with the K24/2.8

BTW, Happy New Year 2015 to all.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-01-2015 at 01:32 AM.