Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1047 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #301
Inactive Account

Let's hope they make a great FF camera! (btw my bank account hopes not :-) ).

Last one this year, A50/1:1.2 @ 1.1

Have a great evening and all the best for 2015!

12-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely lady but how did you get the 50 1.2 open to 1.1?
12-31-2014, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #303
Inactive Account

With a screwdriver, a drop of beer and two cornflakes.

Typo off course :-)
01-04-2015, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #304
Inactive Account

Happy new year! May 2015 unfold to a beauty like this flower ( :-) )

A50/1:1.2 @ 1.2 with Pentax helicoid extension tube.

01-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #305
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful effect!

& Best Wishes for 2015 as well!
01-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
Let's hope they make a great FF camera! (btw my bank account hopes not :-) ).
Ditto. I already spent more to buy an a7r than I did on my car. It's a cheap full-frame, too, relatively speaking.

A 50 f/1.2 @f/4
01-15-2015, 04:14 AM - 4 Likes   #307
Inactive Account

Looks very drive-able Ian. And very nice sense of depth in the image.

Here's a pic from that morning when I drank too much coffee (btw I'm European, so no de-caf!) -

M20/4, distortion uncorrected and thus pretty bad, but is ok considering the topic. I have sent a file for the M20mm (and FA28, FA31, FA43 and A50/1:1.2) to PTlens and they have created a profile that corrects the distortion. Highly recommend program!

01-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #308
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Looks very drive-able Ian. And very nice sense of depth in the image.

Here's a pic from that morning when I drank too much coffee (btw I'm European, so no de-caf!) -

M20/4, distortion uncorrected and thus pretty bad, but is ok considering the topic. I have sent a file for the M20mm (and FA28, FA31, FA43 and A50/1:1.2) to PTlens and they have created a profile that corrects the distortion. Highly recommend program!
Nice shot!
Like it a lot.

I should have asked for your opinion regarding the M20/4.
I just ordered one off ebay, hope it turns out ok.
01-17-2015, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #309
Veteran Member

Finally got what I've been wanting for years, a "Pentax" FF. This brings new life to the 43. The only problems is the functions, buttons and menus, the lack of anti shake that becomes a noticeable problem on a light camera like this, with my 5D mk1 it's just like it has anti shake because of the weight. But I don't regret buying this at all. It's amazing on higher ISO.

Will update with some pictures later, but it's hard to get a shot here this time a year. Only got a few hours of daylight and everything is dull outside.

Edit: I've got a feeling this thread will continue to grow a lot.
Btw, I bought this camera with the 28-70 OSS for about as much as I paid for my K-7 with 18-55 a few years ago, what a deal.

01-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #310
Inactive Account

Congrats on the new cam Fikkser. The 43 is much nicer on full frame so you will definately enjoy the results. Camera handling could be better, but one gets used to that.

Thanks pinholecam! I have a huge series with this theme, mostly taken with the K5 and 15ltd. It's on the front page of my website. I got the M20 as a substitute for the 15ltd. The 15 is better, but the 20 holds it's own.

The M20 is so tiny that you can always have it with you, which is it's unique selling point. Given the age and size it is obvious that one should not expect miracles optically, but it delivers nice images nevertheless. Downsides are the strong distortion, which to my taste needs to be corrected in 90% of the images (but I like lines a lot) and mushy extreme corners. Correcting the distortion will yield a crop that also solves most of the corner issues.

Ergonomics on a tripod are also not great (like the 43) as it is so small, but again this lens was not intended for that (useable though). Superior optics for tripod use are much larger and much more expensive. Life is full of compromises........
01-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #311
Inactive Account

Too much text, too little photographic evidence. M20mm/4 @ iso 100, 1 sec, probably f8.

Btw this is in Amsterdam and the right hand side of the canal is a 'polder' (i.e. a reclaimed piece of lake or swamp). The houses on the left are built on street level i.e. somewhat higher then water level, To the right the building's ground level is 2 - 3 meters lower. The canal is made to remove the water from the lower area on the right and transport it to the Amstel river.
01-17-2015, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #312
Veteran Member

Edit: how do I resize the images when I post them here? If I drag them smaller when editing it doesn't work? :l

So I was out with the A7 for the first time in daylight. Brought my FA 43 and my Super Takumar 24mm.

First is with the Takumar, really love the bokeh it produces, think it's f5,6. The takumar is really nice on FF, it's very sharp in the center, the extremes are not super, but who cares, the lens is incredible.

FA 43, f1.9 or f2.8, can't remember. The 43 produces such clear and nice images. The FF sensor brings this lens back to life - it's now a normal lens with more 3D and everything!

Last edited by fikkser; 01-17-2015 at 05:03 PM.
01-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #313
Inactive Account

Nice to see the results Fikkser. The 'ancient' 24mm has character and the FA43 performs with the best. Clear image is a good description - very crips, good contrast and color and lots of detail. And I assume you are happy that you did not have to file any mirrors :-)

Btw I am not an expert on re-sizing, but I think PF.com displays the image as it is. I.e. if you upload a 3000x2000 it will show it at that size. I happen to use Smugmug, and when I upload to them they automatically make a number of copies with different sizes. I select X2 which tends to be OK.
01-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #314
Veteran Member

Nice to see the results Fikkser. The 'ancient' 24mm has character and the FA43 performs with the best. Clear image is a good description - very crips, good contrast and color and lots of detail. And I assume you are happy that you did not have to file any mirrors :-)

Btw I am not an expert on re-sizing, but I think PF.com displays the image as it is. I.e. if you upload a 3000x2000 it will show it at that size. I happen to use Smugmug, and when I upload to them they automatically make a number of copies with different sizes. I select X2 which tends to be OK.
Thanks. No more filing for me, will sell the 5D now.

It seems so... weird that there is such a function when it only works in preview. Will look in to Smugmug or something like that. Would be nice to be able to export a couple of sizes with one push in lightroom, will have to google that too.
01-20-2015, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #315
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Finally got what I've been wanting for years, a "Pentax" FF. This brings new life to the 43. The only problems is the functions, buttons and menus, the lack of anti shake that becomes a noticeable problem on a light camera like this, with my 5D mk1 it's just like it has anti shake because of the weight. But I don't regret buying this at all. It's amazing on higher ISO.

Will update with some pictures later, but it's hard to get a shot here this time a year. Only got a few hours of daylight and everything is dull outside.

Edit: I've got a feeling this thread will continue to grow a lot.
Btw, I bought this camera with the 28-70 OSS for about as much as I paid for my K-7 with 18-55 a few years ago, what a deal.
Welcome to the thread
Do post more here, this is really for everyone who likes their Pentax lenses even if that means using another brand body for now.

This way it can show others that the lenses work well on FF.
Just hang on to the great lenses (no need to jump ship )

Thanks pinholecam! I have a huge series with this theme, mostly taken with the K5 and 15ltd. It's on the front page of my website. I got the M20 as a substitute for the 15ltd. The 15 is better, but the 20 holds it's own.

The M20 is so tiny that you can always have it with you, which is it's unique selling point. Given the age and size it is obvious that one should not expect miracles optically, but it delivers nice images nevertheless. Downsides are the strong distortion, which to my taste needs to be corrected in 90% of the images (but I like lines a lot) and mushy extreme corners. Correcting the distortion will yield a crop that also solves most of the corner issues.

Ergonomics on a tripod are also not great (like the 43) as it is so small, but again this lens was not intended for that (useable though). Superior optics for tripod use are much larger and much more expensive. Life is full of compromises........

I received my M20/4 yesterday, but weather here is poor now(it was nice last week... )
Initial impressions from a few test shots :
Wow! its small (m28/2.8 small in fact) quite a feat.
It seems to have much less field curvature than the K24/2.8 and FA20/2.8 (close to none in fact) .
Generally sharp to the left and right edge at f8, but poor corners.
Corners get much better at f11.
I certainly been more tryouts to see what is the sweet spot.

But very happy with the lens so far.
The portability is sweet.

---------- Post added 01-21-2015 at 01:34 PM ----------

Some shots :

FA35/2

A50/1.7