Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1047 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi guys, so I took the plunge and bought myself the A7.
And now I feel bad because I want to sell all my Pentax kit to fund the Sony lenses, this sensor is just another league really!

Anyway, I did a small fashion shoot the other day with the FA43 and FA35/2 (Samsung version), I really like their rendering on a FF sensor (my copy of the FA 35 is tack sharp wide open!) but this is one of the cases where I would have preferred AF lenses.

FA 43 :

FA 35/2 :

FA 35/2 :

01-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Certainly having fun with the M20. Btw, how do you correct for the distortion?
I've got an M20, and I really like it too, but I haven't noticed any wild distortion so far that i felt like needs correcting. I read about it in all the reviews, but I guess my eye isn't astute enough to detect it. Do you think it's really that bad?
01-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Hi guys, so I took the plunge and bought myself the A7.
And now I feel bad because I want to sell all my Pentax kit to fund the Sony lenses, this sensor is just another league really!

Anyway, I did a small fashion shoot the other day with the FA43 and FA35/2 (Samsung version), I really like their rendering on a FF sensor (my copy of the FA 35 is tack sharp wide open!) but this is one of the cases where I would have preferred AF lenses.

FA 43 :

FA 35/2 :

FA 35/2 :
Welcome to the club

I'd really urge you to hold on to those lenses and give it some time.
Give the MF a go and as you get faster, it may suffice for a lot of fun.
For indoor studio portraits, perhaps those lenses with a stop down button (eg. Takumar series) or the native FE55 (just that lens) will do.

For my uses, I've come to my own conclusion that I don't want to jump anywhere.
The Pentax lenses are as good as any out there and often at a bit better/smaller sizes.
Of course YMMV.

I only keep a cheap Sigma 30/2.8 and FE55 as AF lenses in case I get lazy to do MF.
But so far, they have stayed in the drycab.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I've got an M20, and I really like it too, but I haven't noticed any wild distortion so far that i felt like needs correcting. I read about it in all the reviews, but I guess my eye isn't astute enough to detect it. Do you think it's really that bad?
There is a rather strong mustache distortion.
Its more obvious if there is a horizon line in the scene.
I have found that the Sigma 20/1.8 profile in LR seems to do 'ok' for now until I find something else.
Perhaps, for your purposes, they just don't show up as obviously (a good thing. )

---------- Post added 01-27-2015 at 10:52 PM ----------

I'm sort of running overdrive with the M20/4 right now as I need a set of 7 picts to make it to a weekly challenge I do on my local forum.
(A picture a day / A picture a week )

So here's another one from the M20

01-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #334
Inactive Account

OK, I understand how you check for field curvature. Not too difficult to do.

I correct the distortion using PTlens. That program first recognizes the camera. Then you can select a profile out of the available lenses (in case of the A7 there are many :-) ). If you have a lens that is not present in the list, you can send the programmer a reference picture (see for details on the website, basically a building with suitable straight line) and he will create a profile - in the cases where I sent images they were ready within a couple of hours. I provided sample images for the M20, FA*24/2, FA31, FA43 and A50/1:1.2 so for those profiles are already available.

The beer is really good - it is made using smoked malts which makes it really special. Well suited with a savory meal. Too bad that the artificial light is so ugly :-(

01-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #335
Inactive Account

Here you go! I suppose I do not have to tag the before and after :-)

01-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd really urge you to hold on to those lenses and give it some time.
Give the MF a go and as you get faster, it may suffice for a lot of fun.
For indoor studio portraits, perhaps those lenses with a stop down button (eg. Takumar series) or the native FE55 (just that lens) will do.

For my uses, I've come to my own conclusion that I don't want to jump anywhere.
The Pentax lenses are as good as any out there and often at a bit better/smaller sizes.
Of course YMMV.

I only keep a cheap Sigma 30/2.8 and FE55 as AF lenses in case I get lazy to do MF.
But so far, they have stayed in the drycab.
Well, the problem is more in the bodies than in the lenses, I don't want to use anything but the sony FF sensor now, lol

But yeah, in any case I'm keeping the FA43
01-29-2015, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #337
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few for from me on that M20/4, 7 landscapes in a week self challenge.

I just don't have the time/schedule to wait properly for the light to peak (pick up children, chores, cook.... )
So very much a 15min grab and go.

I do think I am beginning to like this lens a lot.
Seems flare resistant which can't be said about all legacy wides.
Easy to use too, set to infinity, f11, and thats it.

And so small.....

01-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #338
Inactive Account

Some M20/4 shots from today. Not the best out of the series, but here you go.

Last edited by schneider; 01-29-2015 at 05:11 AM. Reason: duplicate image removed
01-29-2015, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #339
Pentaxian

Original Poster

M20/4 again.
01-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #340
Inactive Account

Nice one again. Odd construction. I wondered where it was so I googled KTPH, which I found out is a hospital in Singapore. Reminded me of my grandfather, who was there in WOII. In Changi unfortunately.
01-31-2015, 01:12 AM   #341
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
Nice one again. Odd construction. I wondered where it was so I googled KTPH, which I found out is a hospital in Singapore. Reminded me of my grandfather, who was there in WOII. In Changi unfortunately.
Thanks.
Yes, indeed an odd looking construction.
Probably to represent a tree or seedling.
Its such one of many such oddities and ironies that I find about this place.
In the name of progress, most of the the little natural places have been torn apart for token green spaces with real trees replaced by steel/concrete structures which glorify the natural environment/park.

I hope all was well for your grandfather after the war.
01-31-2015, 02:35 AM   #342
Inactive Account

That is very ironic indeed. First destroy - then celebrate......

When the war was over, my grandfather helped in the port (un)loading ships. The story goes that, whilst at this job, he fetched the 1000th suitcase and noticed that on the label the name of his wife was written. And so he was reunited with his wife and two children, whom he hadn't seen or heard anything from in more then 3 years of camp life (he was in a labor camp in Sumatra most of the time). So Singapore is a special name in the family :-)
01-31-2015, 07:32 AM - 5 Likes   #343
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
That is very ironic indeed. First destroy - then celebrate......

When the war was over, my grandfather helped in the port (un)loading ships. The story goes that, whilst at this job, he fetched the 1000th suitcase and noticed that on the label the name of his wife was written. And so he was reunited with his wife and two children, whom he hadn't seen or heard anything from in more then 3 years of camp life (he was in a labor camp in Sumatra most of the time). So Singapore is a special name in the family :-)
Extraordinary times and extraordinary stories.
I am glad it all turned out well.

Last pict from me with the M20/4 for the APAW (a photo a week mini project in the local forums) .
Perhaps the one that I am happiest with for the week,

01-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #344
Inactive Account

Nice one. Even if at some point you decide the 20mm (which you won't in the foreseeable future :-) ) at a loss, this picture alone was worth it.
02-01-2015, 02:07 AM - 3 Likes   #345
Veteran Member

Sony A7R
DA*55 F1.4

This Little Guy was only an arms reach from my camera looking for food, I had some CC Corn Chips handy in my backpack

Last edited by disco_owner; 02-01-2015 at 02:12 AM.