Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not a macro but it does pretty darn well at close-ups

Attached Images

11-01-2019, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

23mm in FF mode and cropped in slightly on the K-1;

I tell you I really love this lens on the K-1... dare I say it that it feels better in performance than sitting on the KP! It's not that the KP is a slouch but you get a wonderful additional DoF punch on the K-1 than what the KP can manage due to sensor differences. Of course you do have some significant considerations such as;

1) you're really only getting usable 3:2 images between 23-37mm (even with vignette removal you probably want to crop in slightly till the image is around 30mp).
2) you can perhaps manage one filter on the lens, certainly stacking filters is not an option and makes matters worse.
3) at 20-22mm and 38-40mm it heavily vignettes but 1:1 shots are plausible and even 4:3 if again you're willing to crop in slightly.
4) you're actually getting 20-40, not 30-60 FoV (unless you use crop mode of course)

Personally I think of things from a FoV perspective. If I want a nice 28mm non vignette shot then I would shoot at 23mm and crop in. Actually I use it a lot at 23mm and do that. I do have a F28 but it is not WR, has noisy AF and is very bad with flare (like not in a cool flare way but nasty flare), so the 20-40 was used a lot on this wedding day. I simply dial back a bit when thinking about the shot. Want a 35mm shot? set it to 31mm etc etc.

I actually found a neat trick recently that I wasn't aware of, I made this video to demonstrate it;

So that's how I get quickly accurate with the focal length set.
11-02-2019, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
23mm in FF mode and cropped in slightly on the K-1;

I tell you I really love this lens on the K-1... dare I say it that it feels better in performance than sitting on the KP! It's not that the KP is a slouch but you get a wonderful additional DoF punch on the K-1 than what the KP can manage due to sensor differences. Of course you do have some significant considerations such as;

1) you're really only getting usable 3:2 images between 23-37mm (even with vignette removal you probably want to crop in slightly till the image is around 30mp).
2) you can perhaps manage one filter on the lens, certainly stacking filters is not an option and makes matters worse.
3) at 20-22mm and 38-40mm it heavily vignettes but 1:1 shots are plausible and even 4:3 if again you're willing to crop in slightly.
4) you're actually getting 20-40, not 30-60 FoV (unless you use crop mode of course)

Personally I think of things from a FoV perspective. If I want a nice 28mm non vignette shot then I would shoot at 23mm and crop in. Actually I use it a lot at 23mm and do that. I do have a F28 but it is not WR, has noisy AF and is very bad with flare (like not in a cool flare way but nasty flare), so the 20-40 was used a lot on this wedding day. I simply dial back a bit when thinking about the shot. Want a 35mm shot? set it to 31mm etc etc.

I actually found a neat trick recently that I wasn't aware of, I made this video to demonstrate it;

Info Shortcut Zoom Input Focal Length - YouTube

So that's how I get quickly accurate with the focal length set.
Thanks for putting these infos once more together, Bruce. I really often think about buying this lens, cause I‘m also not sticking too much to the notion that lenses have to cover the full FF image circle to use them on FF and get some - often significant - advantages compared to APS-C. Because it’s a very lightweight good option for KP and K-1 I guess I‘m waiting until there‘s a good price offer availlable to buy it. I should have done it some years ago when the price was at about 680,- € in Germany. Today you have to pay about 899,- €, sometimes you get 10% discount.

I tested the DA20-40 Ltd. years ago and found it delivered very nice IQ on my K-5 and I liked it‘s ergonomics, weight and build quality ... and it showed signifcantly better corners and edges performance than the DA15. But competitor was the DA18-135 I aleady had. And that lens on APS-C is really good in the FL range 20 - 40mm. So I didn’t buy the Limited. Considering the K-1 things changed drastically. The DA18-135 in no way is acceptable on FF for me.

KP together with DA15, DA20-40Ltd. and DA55-300PLM builds the ultimate lightweight high quality travelling kit IMO. I remember some other‘s at PF think the same way.

Always when I get a new zoom lens I check it‘s FL steps and connected open aperture limit using the trick you discovered. It‘s also the way to change FL in camera after first initialization when you use a manual (especially zoom) lens.
11-02-2019, 01:42 AM   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thanks for putting these infos once more together, Bruce. I really often think about buying this lens, cause I‘m also not sticking too much to the notion that lenses have to cover the full FF image circle to use them on FF and get some - often significant - advantages compared to APS-C. Because it’s a very lightweight good option for KP and K-1 I guess I‘m waiting until there‘s a good price offer availlable to buy it. I should have done it some years ago when the price was at about 680,- € in Germany. Today you have to pay about 899,- €, sometimes you get 10% discount.

I tested the DA20-40 Ltd. years ago and found it delivered very nice IQ on my K-5 and I liked it‘s ergonomics, weight and build quality ... and it showed signifcantly better corners and edges performance than the DA15. But competitor was the DA18-135 I aleady had. And that lens on APS-C is really good in the FL range 20 - 40mm. So I didn’t buy the Limited. Considering the K-1 things changed drastically. The DA18-135 in no way is acceptable on FF for me.

KP together with DA15, DA20-40Ltd. and DA55-300PLM builds the ultimate lightweight high quality travelling kit IMO. I remember some other‘s at PF think the same way.

Always when I get a new zoom lens I check it‘s FL steps and connected open aperture limit using the trick you discovered. It‘s also the way to change FL in camera after first initialization when you use a manual (especially zoom) lens.
I bought a used DA15 this week! Unfortunately it was heavily decentered so I returned it to the seller

I have owned the HD DA 15 and 21 and sold both of those, the 20-40 however is a keeper due to its performance on K-1 and WR.

I'm starting to give up on something wider than 20mm on crop (or rather 30mm in it's FF equivalent FoV). I might check out the DA12-24 again or DA14...

PS there is an album here I've compiled of all the HD DA 20-40 shots in FF mode; HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr

11-02-2019, 01:54 AM   #755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a used DA15 this week! Unfortunately it was heavily decentered so I returned it to the seller

I have owned the HD DA 15 and 21 and sold both of those, the 20-40 however is a keeper due to its performance on K-1 and WR.

I'm starting to give up on something wider than 20mm on crop (or rather 30mm in it's FF equivalent FoV). I might check out the DA12-24 again or DA14...

PS there is an album here I've compiled of all the HD DA 20-40 shots in FF mode; HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr
Thank‘s! - Unfortunately it seams that I have to have a flickr account if I want to look at your albums. I don‘t have one and don‘t want to register for one. For ultrawide on both FF and APS-C I really can recommend the DA*11-18. Of course you have to put a lot of money on the table for this one. I don‘t regret I did.
11-02-2019, 02:11 AM - 5 Likes   #756
Veteran Member

This lens has become the workhorse for some time.

11-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thank‘s! - Unfortunately it seams that I have to have a flickr account if I want to look at your albums. I don‘t have one and don‘t want to register for one. For ultrawide on both FF and APS-C I really can recommend the DA*11-18. Of course you have to put a lot of money on the table for this one. I don‘t regret I did.
That's odd. First I have heard someone mention that. I'm sure being a member is not necessary to view shared albums... I wonder what's going on. Are you using phone? What browser may I ask etc.

Yes the 11-18 looks great, but as you say its in a very different league of costing.

I'm a little unsure where my future purchases lie. I crave medium format, I may even actually stick with crop, sell FF and go Medium format (depends on new Crop sensor camera they release and whether there will be a FF replacement ever.

---------- Post added 11-02-19 at 08:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
This lens has become the workhorse for some time.
Super edri!

11-02-2019, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's odd. First I have heard someone mention that.
Ha - my mistake. I used my iPad and it simply opened the flickr iPad app that I once downloaded but never used. If I open the website within the safari browser flickr isn't prompting me to login. :-) ... nice pictures - thank's!

I'd also like to try MF - but ... that's a really another league IMO. When I retire I may have time go this route. So still some years ahead where I'll stay with APS-C and FF I guess.
11-02-2019, 12:30 PM - 3 Likes   #759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Blue is the Gentian
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-03-2019, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went out for a hike in the beginning of Oct and took my KP along. The views were excellent. I wish I could have more time that day to play with this setup.

11-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
I went out for a hike in the beginning of Oct and took my KP along. The views were excellent. I wish I could have more time that day to play with this setup.
Beautiful colors there!
Sadly I didn't go hiking before because now it's to cold for me.
11-06-2019, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #762
Veteran Member

U-Shape (HD 20-40mm Limited)

11-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
U-Shape (HD 20-40mm Limited)
Nice and very unique! I like large prints and that would work very well, I'm a big B&W fan probably from using film.

Always good to provide a story/description of what it is we are looking at and where. No need to state which lens as the thread is only for this lens.
11-10-2019, 06:19 PM - 6 Likes   #764
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tarra Bulga National Park in the Strzelecki Ranges, South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia. KP + DA 20-40 Ltd.

Cyathea Falls

Tarra River

The first and third were with Pixel Shift. X-posted from waterfalls thread.
11-11-2019, 02:16 AM - 4 Likes   #765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wine glasses
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo