Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1803 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #721
Veteran Member

It is made of metal, without a rubber sleeve. I must have gloves when it's cold. It is not a pleasant sensation to keep your fingers on the metal at low temperatures.

10-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
It is made of metal, without a rubber sleeve. I must have gloves when it's cold. It is not a pleasant sensation to keep your fingers on the metal at low temperatures.
Ah, I see. Well...;

a) You would likely have gloves on anyway in that climate?

b) You can invest in a rubber focus ring that goes around the focus ring and zoom to aid in this regard if using bare hand?

(sorry... just trying to be helpful, I thought you meant at first it was not handling something about a snow scene very well, like colour cast etc hahaha)
10-04-2019, 07:53 PM - 4 Likes   #723
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wild camping

My only holiday this year

5star accommodation 4 days wild camping trip in County Donegal, Ireland. This is very nearly the most northern point in Ireland with the Atlantic Ocean right on my front door.

It is also a fairly good dark sky area although not one star was seen as it rained every evening and night with 100% overcast skies.

Beautiful place but attrition to get to having to climb around cliffs, rocky outcrops and having to build a bridge across a river. It was worth it for the solitude, I do not do campsites where others ruin the entire experience!

This mountain equipment tent does camouflage in well for stealth
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
10-05-2019, 02:44 AM   #724
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Metal is like the male hand, sturdy and durable

Maybe you can use bracelets made of silicone, I do so with the Sigma DC Art lenses.

10-05-2019, 09:25 AM - 6 Likes   #725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 20-40mm with bare hand (Großglockner)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #726
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
DA 20-40mm with bare hand (Großglockner)
A strong and sturdy hand?

(nice photo, by the way)
10-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you yorik

10-09-2019, 02:42 PM - 4 Likes   #728
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A fine lens for flower shots.

10-09-2019, 02:56 PM - 3 Likes   #729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
A fine lens for flower shots.

Nice work Des and I couldn't agree with you more. Those 9 elements and rounded aperture blades are just sublime for bokeh rendering! I have found putting the 20-40 on the K-1 in FF mode is even better as you can take a little more advantage of that DoF crush;

It really is a gorgeous lens.
10-10-2019, 09:10 AM - 5 Likes   #730
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Achensee railway line Austria
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #731
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots; love the flowers, and landscape. I must admit my favorite is the last, railway! Great capture, and the brilliant colors really pop!
10-12-2019, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #732
Veteran Member

O
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice work Des and I couldn't agree with you more. Those 9 elements and rounded aperture blades are just sublime for bokeh rendering! I have found putting the 20-40 on the K-1 in FF mode is even better as you can take a little more advantage of that DoF crush;

It really is a gorgeous lens.
+1 to this and what Des wrote above. It is beautiful for close ups due to the sharpness, 3D pop, colours and bokeh. I first tried it when I got it whilst drinking cider celebrating a new arrival, not a baby but this lens and I photographed the cold bottle I was drinking from using the 40mm end and I thought WoW

Recently I tried older film lenses again for similar photos, like the M50 f1.4 and others and they do not compare. Time to flog them to Sony MILC users who like buying them but to be honest I couldn't go back to them again.
10-16-2019, 12:12 AM - 4 Likes   #733
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
South Gippsland sunrise. KP + DA 20-40mm Ltd at 40mm.

X-posted from sunrises thread.
10-16-2019, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
O

+1 to this and what Des wrote above. It is beautiful for close ups due to the sharpness, 3D pop, colours and bokeh. I first tried it when I got it whilst drinking cider celebrating a new arrival, not a baby but this lens and I photographed the cold bottle I was drinking from using the 40mm end and I thought WoW

Recently I tried older film lenses again for similar photos, like the M50 f1.4 and others and they do not compare. Time to flog them to Sony MILC users who like buying them but to be honest I couldn't go back to them again.
Yeah some complain that it's f4 at 40mm, but the way it renders it's not really much of an issue for me. One of the nicest f4 bokeh going around imo (trumped only by the FA ltds).
10-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah some complain that it's f4 at 40mm, but the way it renders it's not really much of an issue for me. One of the nicest f4 bokeh going around imo (trumped only by the FA ltds).
Indeed, this is one of the reasons it whops all of those legacy lenses, the K, the M, the A, the F series etc.

Do the FA Ltds beat it at F4 though?