11-09-2020, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rikenon XR 35/2.8 on the K-50

04-06-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
There's no bokeh like Rikenon XR 50 1.4 bokeh.

04-06-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
There's no bokeh like Rikenon XR 50 1.4 bokeh.

Well... Taking my copy out tomorrow thanks to your gorgeous shots...

Perfect timing... I've been extremely overwhelmed with new to me sony a35 and minolta af glass...

05-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #200
Pentaxian

Rikenon XR 135mm 2.8

09-01-2021, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I decided to leave my Rikenon XR 50 1.4 attached to my semi-broken K-S1* for now. It makes for a lovely combination. Being that the Rikenon lens is also semi-broken (it's stuck wide open) I call it my Defective Gear Project...

The bokeh is always unpredictable and can be super-wild and painterly, but in these shots it came out quite tamed yet still uniquely its own... almost like the lens was in a good mood!

It's soft wide open without having that "hazy soft look". Quite flatteringly soft in a way. I should try it for portraits once again.

*Used to be Sandy Hancock's K-S1, then it became the "Adaptist Project" camera for (Dave) pepperberry farm. It has electronic issues, there's a permanent error on the screen, and going through the menus sometimes it does whatever it wants, not what I select But for just shooting in Av mode it seems to work great, and it doesn't have an opening in the case like my blue K-S1, which I now only take out if there's no rain or dust likely..

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-01-2021 at 08:36 AM.
09-01-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

I decided to leave my Rikenon XR 50 1.4 attached to my semi-broken K-S1* for now. It makes for a lovely combination. Being that the Rikenon lens is also semi-broken (it's stuck wide open) I call it my Defective Gear Project...The bokeh is always unpredictable and can be super-wild and painterly, but in these shots it came out quite tamed yet still uniquely its own... almost like the lens was in a good mood!
i am doing my SIC this month with the Rikenon XR 50/1.4... Here's a bit of depth of field exercise:

1.4:

2.8:

5.6:

11:

16:

*Used to be Sandy Hancock's K-S1, then it became the "Adaptist Project" camera for (Dave) pepperberry farm. It has electronic issues, there's a permanent error on the screen, and going through the menus sometimes it does whatever it wants, not what I select But for just shooting in Av mode it seems to work great, and it doesn't have an opening in the case like my blue K-S1, which I now only take out if there's no rain or dust likely..
Funny that I have Dave's adaptist mount with me now, as I got a K-S1 myself for such a project but gave up on it and gifted my K-S1 to my cousin... The adaptist mount is now looking for a new home.

09-01-2021, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
i am doing my SIC this month with the Rikenon XR 50/1.4... Here's a bit of depth of field exercise:

1.4:

2.8:

5.6:

11:

16:

Funny that I have Dave's adaptist mount with me now, as I got a K-S1 myself for such a project but gave up on it and gifted my K-S1 to my cousin... The adaptist mount is now looking for a new home.
Why did you give up on it, if I may ask? What lenses did you try with it? From Dave's overview, it might be worth only for Olympus and Nikon lenses, and even then if I understand correctly, they behave like M42 lenses, right? Meaning, you can only control the aperture on the lens itself, not the body.
09-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Why did you give up on it, if I may ask?
Short answer - better off in the long run to acquire a mirrorless and adapters. More control, more clean.

For me, I have third party manual lenses in OM, Yashica ML, Minolta Rokkor... The OM lenses and the Yashicas can easily be adapted to a Canon EOS dSLR. The Rokkor I was able to mount on M43.

So I was using the adaptall for the OM and Yashica... not all OM lenses fitted (my OM 50/1.4 did not mount). Further, for the OM to shoot properly I had to jam each lens' "auto" lever with a piece of toothpick so that I can change the apertures (otherwise I had to shoot wide open).

The Yashica ML 50/2 worked like a dream with the adaptall and K-S1.

Further, outside the adaptall = I did not like shooting with the K-S1. I did not like the ergonomics of the camera. Flat out.

I did not try Nikkor lenses and the adaptall did not take my Rokkor 58/1.4.

I decided to continue shooting my Yashica and OM lenses with Canon EOS; I "lended" my Rokkor to my brother-in-law who just got a Fuji-X mirrorless (along with the proper adapter).

Once I eventually get into the Fuji bodies (2-3 years from now likely), I will get to put all the manual glass together under one body... it can wait.

Was it fun to mess around with the adaptall - yes. But it was also a bit frustrating. I am not sorry I tried it, but I outgrew it.
09-01-2021, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Short answer - better off in the long run to acquire a mirrorless and adapters. More control, more clean.

For me, I have third party manual lenses in OM, Yashica ML, Minolta Rokkor... The OM lenses and the Yashicas can easily be adapted to a Canon EOS dSLR. The Rokkor I was able to mount on M43.

So I was using the adaptall for the OM and Yashica... not all OM lenses fitted (my OM 50/1.4 did not mount). Further, for the OM to shoot properly I had to jam each lens' "auto" lever with a piece of toothpick so that I can change the apertures (otherwise I had to shoot wide open).

The Yashica ML 50/2 worked like a dream with the adaptall and K-S1.

Further, outside the adaptall = I did not like shooting with the K-S1. I did not like the ergonomics of the camera. Flat out.

I did not try Nikkor lenses and the adaptall did not take my Rokkor 58/1.4.

I decided to continue shooting my Yashica and OM lenses with Canon EOS; I "lended" my Rokkor to my brother-in-law who just got a Fuji-X mirrorless (along with the proper adapter).

Once I eventually get into the Fuji bodies (2-3 years from now likely), I will get to put all the manual glass together under one body... it can wait.

Was it fun to mess around with the adaptall - yes. But it was also a bit frustrating. I am not sorry I tried it, but I outgrew it.
Thank you for the detailed explanation...

Are you not going to try to adapt these to a full frame body? Sony A7 "classic" have been selling in the 400s for a while, and the A7II can be found in the 500s these days (well used bodies). Also, the Canon RP is in the 800s now used, in two to three years it could be going for quite a bit less.

I do like the Fuji bodies for their controls, and their viewfinders do seem a bit better than a lot of other cameras.
09-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Are you not going to try to adapt these to a full frame body? Sony A7 "classic" have been selling in the 400s for a while, and the A7II can be found in the 500s these days (well used bodies). Also, the Canon RP is in the 800s now used, in two to three years it could be going for quite a bit less.
I really considered an a7 for a while, but opted to hold on until I see where Fuji was going (about 1 year ago).

As I considered the a7, a drawback was lack of IBIS (any kind) - i think it does not has it... I am waiting on Fuji to add it to most models, or for an X-T4or similar to come down in price. I honestly want IBIS

I did purchase a Sony A35 for my Minolta AF collection which is great. I enjoy shooting that camera as much as my K-50; and again its sole purpose is the Minolta AF line up (50/2.8 Macro | 100/2.8 Macro | 70-200/4 Beercan | Vivitar 19-35/3.5-4.5 - others I do not really use are the 50/1.7 | 100-200/4 mini beercan | and two other zooms that I honestly do not remember).
09-01-2021, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #207
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really considered an a7 for a while, but opted to hold on until I see where Fuji was going (about 1 year ago).

As I considered the a7, a drawback was lack of IBIS (any kind) - i think it does not has it... I am waiting on Fuji to add it to most models, or for an X-T4or similar to come down in price. I honestly want IBIS
That is why I was mentioning the A7II, it has IBIS and is quite affordable now (well not for me, but in general )

QuoteQuote:
I did purchase a Sony A35 for my Minolta AF collection which is great. I enjoy shooting that camera as much as my K-50; and again its sole purpose is the Minolta AF line up (50/2.8 Macro | 100/2.8 Macro | 70-200/4 Beercan | Vivitar 19-35/3.5-4.5 - others I do not really use are the 50/1.7 | 100-200/4 mini beercan | and two other zooms that I honestly do not remember).
One camera that has always peaked my interest is the A290 with its 14MP CCD sensor. The A380 and A350 are similar but with smaller viewfinders (not that the A290 is particularly big). But I think for me it makes sense to have a better Pentax setup rather than a couple different setups that would not be as strong...
09-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #208
Pentaxian

That is why I was mentioning the A7II, it has IBIS and is quite affordable now (well not for me, but in general )
Thanks for the tip... I did not realize. Will keep it in the burner....

One camera that has always peaked my interest is the A290 with its 14MP CCD sensor. The A380 and A350 are similar but with smaller viewfinders (not that the A290 is particularly big). But I think for me it makes sense to have a better Pentax setup rather than a couple different setups that would not be as strong...
CCD sensor with 14MP sounds like a really nice set up.

The A35 is CMOS - I would not have bought it but for the MinoltaAF glass in hand.

RIght now, I do not know which is my stronger set up. Has to be between the Pentax (K-50 and F-series or older lenses) and the Sony Alpha (the Minolta AF line up).

I also have an old 6.3MP Canon EOS D60 for the OMs, Yashica, and two great macros - Sigma EX 105/2.8 Macro and Panagor PMC 90/2.8 Macro. Then there is the small E-PM1 (M43)...

I concur with you - better to keep 1 strong set up than many average ones (as the rabbit hole gets deeper this way)
09-01-2021, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #209
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One more from the Rikenon XR 50 1.4... this dragonfly was happy to stay quiet and pose for me.

The minimum focus distance on this lens, by the way, is a bit closer than most 50mm lens. I think this one's about the same as my DA 35 2.4 which is about 0.17x magnification. I think nifty fifties, including the newer Rikanon P 50 1.4 (different optical formula) are 0.13x and the K 55mm (f1.8 and f2) is 0.15x.
10-26-2021, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #210
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More from the great Rikenon P 50 1.4