Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 422 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 10:22 PM - 5 Likes   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those fast 70mm shots are making me drool and sigh with envy. LIke I don't have enough lenses on my wishlist...

For singles in this month I am using a Meyer Optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50/2.8. Much despised according to reviews. Accidental purchase on my side - didn't think to check the reviews before purchasing, mistaking 'domiplan' for 'diaplan'

So far I have been pleasantly surprised by how sharp it can get. There are lots of limitations to it (sharp in center, soft at edges), soft wide open, pixelation in low light, but if you play to its strengths (shooting in daylight, dropping aperture), then it can reward you with some decent shots. I guess in comparison to other lenses, it won't necessarily compete on the same scale. But I'm getting some decent shots of my girl - which is all I want, really... what is it they say? the best lens is the one you have on your camera.

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50/2.8, k-50

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 04:00 PM ----------

And some shots with the Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8, bought with a camera lot. It has some slight fungus/haze right on the edges of the front element, not that I've ever spent time pixel peeping to see what effect it had.

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8, k-01

05-12-2015, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

CZJ MC Sonnar 135/3.5 , Pentax P-3 and Ilford XP-2 Super 400 film.

The old town of Tallinn as seen from the deck of Viking Line's ferry Viking XPRS.
Helsinki, Katajanokka as seen from the deck of Viking Line's ferry Viking XPRS.

I am very pleased with the way this lens performs on film.

Wolfiegirl, would you mind uploading some full-res shots taken with Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8 ? I would like to do some pixelpeeping
05-14-2015, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meyer-Optik Orestor 100mm

05-17-2015, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #124
Veteran Member

Seer geherte DDR Objektive Verein,
I am writing to you to apply for membership in Your organisation.

My name is Alex, I am an amateur photographer with some years of photo experience matured in various countries in Europe, including Italy, Germany, Austria and the UK. I exclusively do film photography and since childhood I had been fascinated with what at that time were cameras built in communist countries.

Last week I received my first piece of DDR equipment (these cameras in the 80s were relatively expensive and difficult to procure), an humble Praktica MTL 50 with an humble Pentacon,in excellent working conditions for the substantial amount of £30:

I shot a roll of Ilford XP2 with a Pentax YG or Y2 filter, and I would like you to decide if my work meets your standards to enter in your Distinguished Organisation.

Thank you very much for your attention and looking forward to hearing from you I hope you will enjoy the pictures.

05-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Would you mind uploading some full size images from this session ?
05-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Would you mind uploading some full size images from this session ?
Full size? I can upload the "full size" of the minilab scans, but I'm pretty sure the sharpness of the film exceeds their scans. Which one would you like? The flower?

Here I posted others:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/159796-post-...shots-263.html

I also "think" tinypic can show the pic the original size it was compressed, you have to follow the link. I usually reduce everything to avoid messing up with the monitor of other people.

P.S. The pics are not post processed, they are as they are on the prints and negatives, I think the only way to see the real sharpness of the lens and the film is to use a manual enlarger and stretch a print until it breaks down, something bad scans introduce some kind of "grain" that is not in the prints.
05-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #127
Veteran Member

It would be interesting to see the first two shots in larger size. Thanks in advance. I used Ilford labs for my film (development, scnas, prints). The prints looked better than the scans. I contacted them to discuss the issue and they admitted using certain settings during the scanning process, that caused extra grain and excessive contrast. They offered to rescan my films for free using custom settings, that would mitigate those issues.

05-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Attention! unresized pics!

The scans are "just" 900 Kb, it would be interesting if it's possible to get a better results with higher quality scans that WILL NOT improve (or decrease) the quality of the image that IMO should just depend on film and lens in analogic photography.

Edit: I just found out that Windows when rotates the pics automatically resize them as we can see on the column shot. That's annoying but at the moment I don't have any real photoshop software also because it's not in my shooting philosophy (that is avoid digital because film makes you a better photographer) but I must admit in this case it would be handy.

Still I think the lowly Pentacon 1.8 is a very nice nifty fifty and instead of talking about Pancolars here and there this lens should be revalued.
05-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Still I think the lowly Pentacon 1.8 is a very nice nifty fifty and instead of talking about Pancolars here and there this lens should be revalued.
That reminds me I need to give my Pentacon a run sometime soon.

I haven't forgotten about the request for the full sized shots of the Meyer - Life's getting in the way atm. Will try and post something up soon!
05-25-2015, 04:47 AM - 6 Likes   #130
Pentaxian

05-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #131
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Meyer-Optik Trioplan 50/2.9 again. (On Kentmere 400, which I hadn't used before and which I'm not entirely enjoying the results from. Contrast has been boosted significantly in this shot.)

Last edited by g026r; 05-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
05-29-2015, 02:12 AM - 3 Likes   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The CZJ Biotar T 58/2 (17 blades) in full water-colour mode. For the purists, this was taken at dusk, so it needed to be lightened then some contrast added, but no major colour processing.
05-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #133
Veteran Member

- Sunset over Tallinn harbour. Carl Zeiss Jena Electric Sonnar. 135 mm f 2.8. Shot from a tripod, processed in SilkyPix 6.
05-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote

The CZJ Biotar T 58/2 (17 blades) in full water-colour mode. For the purists, this was taken at dusk, so it needed to be lightened then some contrast added, but no major colour processing.
Very nice picture. "Impressionistic" lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
[..... Sunset over Tallinn harbour. Carl Zeiss Jena Electric Sonnar. 135 mm f 2.8. Shot from a tripod, processed in SilkyPix 6.
Dramatic picture. It looks like a photo taken with a Kalejnar lens, from another topic

Last edited by edri; 05-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.
05-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Dramatic picture. It looks like a photo taken with a Kalejnar lens, from another topic
Basically the same scene, or rather the same objects but different composition. For the Sonnar shot I set the tripod considerably lower and used composition adjustment feature to fine tune the composition. I was lucky enough to take these shots before the artificial lighting kicked in.

Last edited by Stagnant; 05-30-2015 at 04:40 PM.