Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #62
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
here is one of my cat shot wide open
Nice. Reason I love Pentax is the abundance of vintage lenses.
02-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #63
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
here is one of my cat shot wide open
Mine aren't as colorful.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
02-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
Mine aren't as colorful.
Nice ,I believe these lens compete with today's lens just fine.

03-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #65
k22
Site Supporter

kiron 80-200 f4.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
03-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is on i shot Westhampton NY

Using a 28mm f-2 Vivitar- Kiron on a DL
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
03-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Kiron

I have the Kiron 105mm f 2.8 macro which operates like a Pentax M lens, which is fine for macro use. This is a much noted macro lens, but also nice for non-macro service as well. I will do some posts later. Thanks for setting up the Kiron club.

03-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have the Kiron 105mm f 2.8 macro which operates like a Pentax M lens, which is fine for macro use. This is a much noted macro lens, but also nice for non-macro service as well. I will do some posts later. Thanks for setting up the Kiron club.
Look forward to seeing those shots - glad you are contributing to the club. ( Right at the moment I no longer have a Kiron lens - so glad you folks are all posting)
03-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #69
k22
Site Supporter

Kiron 80-200 f4.5. I got a perfect copy on the bay last year. Looks like never used. Only now checking it out.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
03-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
Kiron 80-200 f4.5. I got a perfect copy on the bay last year. Looks like never used. Only now checking it out.
Nice ,got to love these ole Kiron Lens
06-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just snagged the Kiron 28-210mm on the auction site. I've never had a "super-zoom" before, so why not start out with the first one to achieve impressive image quality, even if that is mainly around f/11. There are only two reviews of it here at PF ( Kiron 28-210mm f3.8-5.6 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ), but the second one has some very helpful test results showing how to get the best sharpness as various focal lengths. All of my legacy lenses have limitations; the trick is to work within them or creatively utilize them. Obviously, this zoom isn't going to compete much with all of the great Kiron 28mm prime lens shots that dominate this thread so far, but I will see what it can do at that focal length. My first tests will probably be with my K10D, probably made easier because the copy I bought has the PKA mount. I'll also shoot some film with it, partly so that the wide angle end gets a chance to give wide angle results, both color and black & white.

I feel like I've already got too many overlapping intermediate zooms in the 70(-100) to 160(-300)mm range, and maybe too many 28(-35) to 70(-80) zooms, but one expansive one covering most of both ranges seems like it won't add to either glut...and might offer some new possibilities. Anyway, it should arrive in a few days, and my next post here should include some picture examples.
06-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I just snagged the Kiron 28-210mm on the auction site. I've never had a "super-zoom" before, so why not start out with the first one to achieve impressive image quality, even if that is mainly around f/11. There are only two reviews of it here at PF ( Kiron 28-210mm f3.8-5.6 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ), but the second one has some very helpful test results showing how to get the best sharpness as various focal lengths. All of my legacy lenses have limitations; the trick is to work within them or creatively utilize them. Obviously, this zoom isn't going to compete much with all of the great Kiron 28mm prime lens shots that dominate this thread so far, but I will see what it can do at that focal length. My first tests will probably be with my K10D, probably made easier because the copy I bought has the PKA mount. I'll also shoot some film with it, partly so that the wide angle end gets a chance to give wide angle results, both color and black & white.

I feel like I've already got too many overlapping intermediate zooms in the 70(-100) to 160(-300)mm range, and maybe too many 28(-35) to 70(-80) zooms, but one expansive one covering most of both ranges seems like it won't add to either glut...and might offer some new possibilities. Anyway, it should arrive in a few days, and my next post here should include some picture examples.
KOOL can't wait to see some pictures from it
06-22-2017, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Kiron f3.8-5.6 28-210mm MC 1:4 Macro super-dooper zoom arrived! I took it out of the box, sitting in my truck in my parking spot across the street from the post office, mounted it on my K110D, and went driving to take some pictures. I was going to use my K10D, but I have a couple of pesky spots on its sensor that I didn't want interfering with the tests. In keeping with the test results posted in Damian's review of the lens (reviews linked in my previous post), I shot all these tests (unless noted here differently) at f11.

First a set to show the angle of view range of the lens. Note that focus is on the tall group of snags (dead trees) in the lake. In the first shots that means infinity, but as magnification goes up, focusing on the snags is closer than infinity, and in the last shot, at 210mm, focus is on the shorter snags in the front of the group.

28mm:

50mm:

70mm:

105mm:

210mm:

Lighting conditions were so bright I could barely see any of the viewfinder readings, but apparently also bright enough that even at f11 I had a high enough shutter speed that I could freeze these chicory flowers, despite the wind that was varying between strong breezes and gusts that made it hard to stand still while taking pictures. This was near the max repro ratio, taken at or near the closest focus distance for the 210mm focal length setting. Pretty nice bokeh for f11:

Just before pulling the SD card at home, just after I popped the TV on to see the noon weather report, I shot a few shots of what the was on the screen, with the aperture ring set on "A" and the K110D set on program. This is handheld (sitting down) at 1/20th second, with the camera setting the lens near wide open at f4.5:

The next round of shooting with the lens I plan to shoot with "A" / Program, just to see if I find sharpness suffering when the camera strays from the f/11 sweet spot.
06-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice, love these kirons
08-20-2017, 09:12 AM - 5 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
first couple of shots with the newly acquired kiron 105mm f2.8 macro