Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 03:03 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Will-Wetzlar Maginon 100/2.8 inserted into a helicoid ... will far focus to about 4 feet and down to a few inches.

Ending with poppies in the wind ... ha!
Very nice indeed.

There seems to have been a sudden spike in the price of projection lenses on e-bay, I wonder why ?

Somewhere, if memory serves me correctly, down in my garden shed, there should be an old Gnome push-pull slide projector I bought in the late 1950's, I shall toddle down and see if it's still there and if anything can be done with it.

Kind regards,

CD

05-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Very nice indeed.

There seems to have been a sudden spike in the price of projection lenses on e-bay, I wonder why ?

Somewhere, if memory serves me correctly, down in my garden shed, there should be an old Gnome push-pull slide projector I bought in the late 1950's, I shall toddle down and see if it's still there and if anything can be done with it.

Kind regards,

CD
Salut CD,

Thanks for your post and that's kind of "funny" if the prices have gone up ...

If you find your lens, please post an image or two here when you can. Looking forward to it.

Cheers, J
06-01-2015, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More "wide open" projector lens images ... here an Agfa Variomar f/3.1 80-125mm zoom lens modified and inserted in the Russian bellows ... set it up this weekend.

It works throughout the zoom range, but seems best at the extreme where the moving element is retracted most toward the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What vibrant colours Jean.

What is the average price for projector lenses?

They seem to go for 30-50 dollars here which seems quite a bit when that is my budget for normal lenses...

06-01-2015, 09:54 PM - 2 Likes   #155
Veteran Member

Rodenstock Stellar 100/2.8

06-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Rodenstock Stellar 100/2.8
Very nice images, edri !

How are you shooting the lens?

Hope to see more soon ... Salut, J

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 07:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
What vibrant colours Jean.

What is the average price for projector lenses?

They seem to go for 30-50 dollars here which seems quite a bit when that is my budget for normal lenses...
Thanks wolfiegirl.

I cannot really give you an average price which is representative of reality. Most of mine are acquisitions from yard sales, the thrift shop and junk bins at photo swap meets.

The most I ever paid was about 15€ including postage, but that was for a Leitz lens ... couldn't resist and bought it off eBay out of Spain. Great lens that I need to use again soon.

Good luck on your hunt ... and if worse comes to worse, I will try to pick up second copies, if possible ... and pass them on for my cost . The more, the merrier on this thread!

Salut, J
06-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Thanks for viewing. I bought this lens because the tube diameter is almost the same with Diaplan tube diameter. I thought I could use the same Diaplan helicoid for Rodenstock, too. Unfortunately the Rodenstock groove is thinner and I can not use native Diaplan helical. I adapted with some old M42 rings. The focus is by moving the camera . With a thin M42 ring (I did not have it) is possible focus to infinity. Surprisingly sharp for a projector lens. Otherwise I found absolutely no information about this lens. I bought it because it cost about 5euro. Other projector lens that I want are quite expensive (for projector lenses) between 40-60 euros or more.

Very nice images, edri !

How are you shooting the lens?

Hope to see more soon ... Salut,

06-02-2015, 08:57 PM - 5 Likes   #158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all for sharing your pictures and your experience. That inspired me to get some projector lens.
Below are some samples with Dukane 3" 1/2.5.
The lens was inserted into a M 42 macro ring.

06-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #159
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Thank you all for sharing your pictures and your experience. That inspired me to get some projector lens.
Below are some samples with Dukane 3" 1/2.5.
The lens was inserted into a M 42 macro ring.
Salut Vasyl ! Great images and some very nice bokeh.

Hope to see more and TFS, J
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #160
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A new "Franken-lens" project here using a Boyer Paris Onyx 100/2.8 projector lens stuffed inside a de-glassed Makinon 135/2.8 lens body ...to have an aperture and a focus throw ... A few wide open and others at "f/4" to "f/5.6".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
07-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #161
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful stuff! That bee is the icing of the cake
08-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #162

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Edri, I think you will enjoy it quite a bit! I originally started exactly as yours, but ended up buying inexpensive m42 to m42 focusing helicoid from ebay, so I still have "semi-permanent" mount for the moment, I've ordered step down ring adapters to make it fit better and to use the hood (this lens neeeeeeds it badly imo). So for now it's pretty much same distance as your, but more often than not, I use extension tube on it to get close focus.

Once I get the rings, I will post detail pictures of the "rig"

Please, all, post photos with these repurposed lenses!!!

Kind regards,
D
Franken-lens-ed a new one today. Torn down an Isconar 135/4 to have the 14 blade aperture and mount it on the Russian bellows with the Malik Triolam.

Crappy weather, but ran outside for a few quick test snaps @ f/5.6, I think. More later and maybe with a different projector lens ... J
Hey Gentlemen,
I have just purchased a few projection lenses:
1) Dukane Projection Lens - 3", f 2.5
2) Leitz Wetzlar Leica Colorplan Projection Lens 1:2.5 / 90mm
3) Pentacon AV 2,8/80mm (Diaplan 2,8/80)
4) SHORT DIAPLAN 80/2,8 projection LENS

I have been searching all over the internet using different terms to try and figure out how to use these with a DSLR.
Could you both explain a little more (pictures are great too), about how you use these?
I actually don't care as much about adjusting the aperture as I do about being able to focus, and being able to attach it.

Jean Poitiers - I like your idea of tearing down and using old lenses. Would any old lens work? What are the things I need in an old lens to adapt the projection lenses I've listed?

Thank you VERY much.

Rick
08-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #163
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by romeobravophoto Quote
Hey Gentlemen,
I have just purchased a few projection lenses:
1) Dukane Projection Lens - 3", f 2.5
2) Leitz Wetzlar Leica Colorplan Projection Lens 1:2.5 / 90mm
3) Pentacon AV 2,8/80mm (Diaplan 2,8/80)
4) SHORT DIAPLAN 80/2,8 projection LENS

I have been searching all over the internet using different terms to try and figure out how to use these with a DSLR.
Could you both explain a little more (pictures are great too), about how you use these?
I actually don't care as much about adjusting the aperture as I do about being able to focus, and being able to attach it.

Jean Poitiers - I like your idea of tearing down and using old lenses. Would any old lens work? What are the things I need in an old lens to adapt the projection lenses I've listed?

Thank you VERY much.

Rick
Salut Rick,

My suggestion would be to find a macro bellows in which you can insert the projector lens. I use a Soviet one ... See photo below.

As for using old lenses, it's really trail and error for me, but I am developing a "good idea" of what will work and what won't. It really depends of the "registration distance" of the projector lens ... some are longer than others and some will not go to infinity, but I never really shot with these creations more than a meter of so.

Maybe a de-glassed cheap 135/2.8 lens could work with some of your lenses. If you do not have the tools to remove the glass elements, you can resort to knock them out with a pick hammer. No kidding,I have done this one a couple where it was not possible to remove the glass otherwise!

Let me know if any of this helps and hope to see some images soon! Cheers, J

08-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #164

Salut Rick,

My suggestion would be to find a macro bellows in which you can insert the projector lens. I use a Soviet one ... See photo below.

As for using old lenses, it's really trail and error for me, but I am developing a "good idea" of what will work and what won't. It really depends of the "registration distance" of the projector lens ... some are longer than others and some will not go to infinity, but I never really shot with these creations more than a meter of so.

Maybe a de-glassed cheap 135/2.8 lens could work with some of your lenses. If you do not have the tools to remove the glass elements, you can resort to knock them out with a pick hammer. No kidding,I have done this one a couple where it was not possible to remove the glass otherwise!

Let me know if any of this helps and hope to see some images soon! Cheers, J
Thank you sir! I probably won't get the lenses I ordered for a few weeks (ordered from Europe). I'll look into your suggestions.
08-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #165

New "Franken-lens"/projector lens variation here ...

Took a Pentacon AV 80/2.5 projector lens and inserted it into an entirely de-glassed Helios 44-2 body in order to have the focus helicoil and an 8-blade aperture.

Here's what it looks like and a few SOOC sample images taken today late ...shot at various apertures (@ about f/4-ish) and focal lengths. I think that I will leave this creation as is ... maybe more images later.

I've done some research, and I think a Macro Bellows might be a little much for me to carry around to take quick shots of people (I am a fashion/portrait photographer). I noticed in this post that you inserted the Pentacon 80/2.5 in a Helios 44-2 body. I like this idea the best. Would any of the Helios 44 family of lenses work?
Thanks,
Rick