Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Thank you all for contributing to this thread, always found the most interesting how some old odd lenses make their way into DSLR world...

I've been after a particular bokeh qualities, and for the price I'm willing to pay (Certainly not Trioplan, though I wish I had one), I finally found a Meyer Diaplan 80mm f2.8 for its "soap bubbles" along with some no name "zebra" looking 78mm f2.8 (may actually be old USSR) that on the sample photos from seller has very painterly bokeh...

Arriving from Eastern Europe sometime in the next few weeks... Look forward to experiments, and thank you all for sharing the "mount" options!

Regards,
D
Thanks for your post and hope to see some images soon ... quite curious! Salut, J

01-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
As requested....
Russian projector lens. f2/92mm
Chinese focusing helicoid, tight fit + some Locktite clear epoxy.
Unscrewed name ring, screwed 58mm filter and glued it permanent
Infinity focus and very close focusing.
This is the pic from Ebay

This is how it looks now.

few test shots,
The photos look much better on the computer, Photobucket compresses and destroys detail pretty bad, I want to dump Photobucket and I'm a paid member. Very dissapointing, if someone can recommend a photo hosting site that does not compress even small photos I'd appreciate it.

This 92/2 conversion looks so professional, not like a Frankenlens at all. Nice job. Using the Chinese helicoid makes sense. Was it 58mm diameter or 42 or 52? And maybe a 30-90 extension?

I want to put a few projector lenses in some sort of mount. I'm thinking I'l cannibalize some junker long zooms -- keep the A-mount, the aperture and use the zoom mechanism for focus. Maybe pull the existing optics (or leave rear group), since I'm mainly interested in the projector lens performance. Seems like they were made for macro.

I'm not interested in reinventing the basics like mount and focus movement if this will work. And I can solve my guilt problem over not fixing these junkers that I'll never use anyway.
Am I too lazy? Any comments on my wild ideas are welcome. Anyway, I have two nice projector lenses in my parts bin, a Minolta P-Rokkor 100/2.8 and a Leitz Colorplan 90/2.5. So this gave me the push to get it done. More later..
02-20-2015, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Well, at last, both projector lenses have arrived... No "concrete" adoption yet, but Diaplan inserted into ext. tubes with plastic DSLR body cover in front for quick test:

Will try both more extensively tomorrow.

Regards,
D
02-20-2015, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Diaplan is definitely the one I was waiting for - it's bokeh can be very very unique... It is now inserted into Lensbaby Composer PRO, so it is fully functional in terms of focus, but also serves tilt/shift...

Regards,
D

02-21-2015, 02:26 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bonjour Duh_Vinci,

Those are some nice images and thanks for the additions/info.

Hope to see more soon ... Salut, J

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 10:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
This 92/2 conversion looks so professional, not like a Frankenlens at all. Nice job. Using the Chinese helicoid makes sense. Was it 58mm diameter or 42 or 52? And maybe a 30-90 extension?

I want to put a few projector lenses in some sort of mount. I'm thinking I'l cannibalize some junker long zooms -- keep the A-mount, the aperture and use the zoom mechanism for focus. Maybe pull the existing optics (or leave rear group), since I'm mainly interested in the projector lens performance. Seems like they were made for macro.

I'm not interested in reinventing the basics like mount and focus movement if this will work. And I can solve my guilt problem over not fixing these junkers that I'll never use anyway.
Am I too lazy? Any comments on my wild ideas are welcome. Anyway, I have two nice projector lenses in my parts bin, a Minolta P-Rokkor 100/2.8 and a Leitz Colorplan 90/2.5. So this gave me the push to get it done. More later..
Bonjour slowhands,

Try a "dead" zoom body like I did here; just removed the front elements which were bad ... came out well and I am awaiting Spring to break out this gear plus some other new acquisitions and creations.

Cheers and "push", J

02-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Cheers J!

You've become quite an expert with these modifications, and later one is no exception!

The "no name Zebra" is now fitted inside my spare "pinhole" Lenbsbaby optics piece (gutted out)... Perfect fit with just one layer of electrical tape around the body of this Zebra, nice and tight fit. Now can be used interchangeably on all Composer and Muse :

Diaplan fitted into Composer Pro (just pressure fitted into the receiving socket):

Regards,
D
02-21-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

And couple of samples with this unknown Zebra 78mm f/2.8 (inside of LB Composer PRO):

Regards,
D
02-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And couple of samples with this unknown Zebra 78mm f/2.8 (inside of LB Composer PRO):

Regards,
D

Great. Thanks a lot. I have been pondering a Composer and I think that you are convincing me that it's a good idea.

J

02-21-2015, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ran outside to quick test the three projector lenses that I picked up for an Euro each (1€) ... all mounted in the Russian bellows and all seem to go to infinity.

Tests between cloudy spells, wind gusts and light rain ...

Leitz Wetzlar Dimaron 100/2.8 ... without hood
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-21-2015 at 10:10 AM.
02-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tewe Berlin Noristar 85/2.8 ... without hood
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Boyer Paris Onyx 1 - 100/2.8 ... without hood
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Nice going J!

Fascinating really what these "misfit" projector lenses can do once adapted to cameras... That Noristar seem to pick those "soap bubbles" lights?

Regards,
D
02-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice going J!

Fascinating really what these "misfit" projector lenses can do once adapted to cameras... That Noristar seem to pick those "soap bubbles" lights?

Regards,
D

Thanks D ... here's some quick backyard tests with the Boyer Paris Onyx 100/2.8.

What do you think here ... shot with K-5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-22-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Very "painterly" bokeh you have going there, very nice J! And almost a "glow" like effect?

One more with Diaplan:

Regards,
D
02-23-2015, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #60
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see J isn't alone in his alternative reality

Interesting way to use the Lensbaby. I was considering getting one of those, but now I'm not sure I dare - I might end up like you guys

Joking aside; keep up the inspiring work!