Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2017, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks Audi. How do you tell if it's a triplet or not?
I am using more than 20 triplet lenses and when I saw the glowing spider it was my first impression. Also, on the lens picture there is a large spacer just behind the front glass which tells me a bit more. Additionally, most of the projector lenses are triplets and they do not have cemented elements because the lamp heat would deteriorate the balsam. 4 element tessars are sharper and never glow wide open. Your enlarger lens is probably a tessar design, bokeh sure looks like it.

If you really want to be sure, you can use the trick of counting the virtual images of a light source (reflections). Works every time.

01-05-2017, 02:15 AM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
I am using more than 20 triplet lenses and when I saw the glowing spider it was my first impression. Also, on the lens picture there is a large spacer just behind the front glass which tells me a bit more. Additionally, most of the projector lenses are triplets and they do not have cemented elements because the lamp heat would deteriorate the balsam. 4 element tessars are sharper and never glow wide open. Your enlarger lens is probably a tessar design, bokeh sure looks like it.

If you really want to be sure, you can use the trick of counting the virtual images of a light source (reflections). Works every time.
you definitely sound like you know your stuff.
01-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
you definitely sound like you know your stuff.
Not even remotely as I would like to and obviously not enough, as your Astronar is actually a triplet.
Your shots must have been stopped down a bit. If not, it must be an exceptional landscape lens at f/11 to f/16.

I have this Braun Super Paxon lens. It is in no way special but is sharper than most of my projector lenses. It has a low contrast that is easily fixable in PP. I stripped mine significantly to use it as an m42 lens for focusing helicoids. It works fine, but being plastic and not interesting, It is enjoying a lot of shelf time.

Now, a bellows related trick that I use to mount it. I unmount the bayonet from the bellows, fix it to the camera body and then mount the rest of the bellows on it. This should work with most bellows types. You can do the same on the lens side if the lens is to big to be used on the flange directly, you can unmount the flange and slide the lens in the bellows directly, with some kind of material to fill the gaps. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Marko
01-06-2017, 04:58 AM - 5 Likes   #274
Veteran Member

To keep the picture flow running, here is a shot from this morning, made with a Benoist Berthiot Panastar S 2,5/90. I'm still learning it but it looks like a keeper at the moment.

Anemone
by Marko Jankovic, on Flickr

01-06-2017, 05:52 AM   #275

Oh, that's a keeper Marko! I imagine that is frost on your flora? Beautiful color. The projectors treat backgrounds and bokeh so differently with their large apertures and super shallow DOF. Gives this image almost an animated oil painting look - so cool.

I need to get back at it myself but am so busy with other things. I'll just keep looking for your images to come by - ha! Excellent images....
01-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
To keep the picture flow running, here is a shot from this morning, made with a Benoist Berthiot Panastar S 2,5/90. I'm still learning it but it looks like a keeper at the moment.

Anemone
by Marko Jankovic, on Flickr
Ex - cel - lent, Marko.

If you decide that it's not a "keeper" then I will sacrifice myself and take it off your hands ...

I need to get out there and shoot ... Cheers, J
01-07-2017, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #277

Here are a couple made with my KP-35 140/1.8 projector lens - it's a monstrous piece of glass but makes its own brand of images. No aperture, of course so its just a matter of composition and finding the DoF you can live with. Simple!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A65V  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A65V  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A65V  Photo 
01-07-2017, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #278

Pentacon AV 80mm f2.8

01-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #279

Really impressive work here guys!!!

I picked up a Telex brand 52mm f/1.2 projector lens that was made in Japan and have been enjoying tons of fun with it. Not quite in the macro world like most of the images displayed here.

Question: if you had the same subject to lens distances what differences in rendering, bokeh, etc, would you expect between the Diaplan 80mm f2.8 and the Dukane 3" (76mm) f2.5 lenses?

{I am shooting with a Sony a7RII, but I was once a huge Pentax fan; so not sure if I should be posting images here though?}
01-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote

I picked up a Telex brand 52mm f/1.2 projector lens that was made in Japan and have been enjoying tons of fun with it. Not quite in the macro world like most of the images displayed here.

Question: if you had the same subject to lens distances what differences in rendering, bokeh, etc, would you expect between the Diaplan 80mm f2.8 and the Dukane 3" (76mm) f2.5 lenses?

{I am shooting with a Sony a7RII, but I was once a huge Pentax fan; so not sure if I should be posting images here though?}
I will let Jean help you with the posting question, and estimate that there are no differences in DOF and "bokeh balls" size and shape between the two lenses you named. After that, it is difficult to say about the rendering. My best guess is that the Dukane is also a triplet and that it will produce bubbles in the right conditions and it will probably be less soft than Pentacon. There are many projector lenses that give the trioplan effect and from all that I own, Pentacon is the softest of the bunch. If you add the diaphragm to it, I think that the Dukane can be a great lens, even though I do not have one.
01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #281
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Hi ... thanks for your compliments! It's nice for all to get some (well deserved IMHO) positive input.

There are no "rules" here in my books, so non-Pentax gear is welcome ... and I would love to see your future images. The more, the merrier ...

Marko is the more technical person here, so his advice is probably much, much better than mine ... I am a mad scientist type experimenter that does what ever pops into his head

Cheers, J
01-08-2017, 12:45 PM - 4 Likes   #282

Thanks! I used to use a ton of manual focus "A" series Pentax lenses which I totally regret selling to buy EOS gear years ago. I still use the 50/1.4 Super Tak and the M 40/2.8 pancake lenses.

I now have two projector lens projects on the go. I had no idea how addictive and time consuming this would all become. The f/1.2 lens is just fun, quite sharp/soft in a interesting way. I going to upgrade my mount system. Right now I have the barrel thread of the lens wrapped in adhesive backed black velvet which is then inserted into a open 3 piece extension tube set with a Sony E mount that I use on the Sony a7RII. The velvet acts as a primitive helicoid. This Sony is by far the most manual focus friendly digital camera I have used. My mount upgrade (waiting for parts) will be an Ultra Slim Sony E to M42 adaptor plus M42 to M52 helicoid with the lens inserted into the front of the 52mm end. I then I will use a 48mm - 49mm step up ring which will allow me to use common 49mmm filters and lens hoods. Hoods are a must for these projects...

Some pics (starting with the current lens adaptation):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 

Last edited by Photomaximum; 01-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.
01-08-2017, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #283

A few more...

---------- Post added 01-08-2017 at 11:53 AM ----------

Interesting to compare how this forums' image upload system renders pics: these have noticeably reduced saturation and appear slightly darker...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
01-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #284
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! I used to use a ton of manual focus "A" series Pentax lenses which I totally regret selling to buy EOS gear years ago. I still use the 50/1.4 Super Tak and the M 40/2.8 pancake lenses.

I now have two projector lens projects on the go. I had no idea how addictive and time consuming this would all become. The f/1.2 lens is just fun, quite sharp/soft in a interesting way. I going to upgrade my mount system. Right now I have the barrel thread of the lens wrapped in adhesive backed black velvet which is then inserted into a open 3 piece extension tube set with a Sony E mount that I use on the Sony a7RII. The velvet acts as a primitive helicoid. This Sony is by far the most manual focus friendly digital camera I have used. My mount upgrade (waiting for parts) will be an Ultra Slim Sony E to M42 adaptor plus M42 to M52 helicoid with the lens inserted into the front of the 52mm end. I then I will use a 48mm - 49mm steep up ring which will allow me to use common 49mmm filters and lens hoods. Hoods are a must for these projects...

Some pics (starting with the current lens adaptation):
Wow ! Those are really great images. Thanks and looking forward to more ...

I was looking a while at getting a Sony A 7 variant, but bought in mid-December my K-1 since I have way too much Pentax glass ... I need to set up a projector lens combo on the K-1 to see if there's any noticeable difference(s). I have done a few quick checks to see for FF compatibility, but no real efforts for a decent image output. Thanks for a bit of motivation after seeing your images! Cheers, J
01-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #285
Veteran Member

This Sony is by far the most manual focus friendly digital camera I have used.
Never tried this Sony, but I can agree that electronic viewfinder has it's advantages as it shows the exposure as the sensor sees it (live view does as well), optical viewfinders do not. There is also an advantage of a very small flange to focal distance, opening the world of 16mm film projection lenses and likewise, making it very handy for DIY projects. I find myself ever so often balancing the lens on a mm or less from the mirror, in a search for infinity. MAny of my projects would not work on a full frame camera from this reason. E-M10 helps with this at times, though

Now, I find your results with this lens very interesting. You've used well the spherical aberrations and vignetting so that they add up to your images. A job well done! Looking forward for more. You are welcome to share your other projects as well.

Regards,
Marko