Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #286

When I started my newspaper career I used three Pentax LX bodies and lenses ranging from 20-400. I had these fancy hexagonal shaped Beatie focusing screens in the cameras. This was a GREAT manual focus system. The Pentax A* 85/1.4 was one of the very best lenses I have ever used.

The EOS system was a solid auto focus platform and helped me with long lenses and sports, etc. But I have always loved all kinds of lenses and got into the "Alt Lens" movement and adapted all kinds of optics to the Canon EF mount. Problem is that all of the Canon digital bodies were just lousy at manual focus, especially when using fast f/1.2 lenses like the Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2. You get a bright image but not enough focus accuracy feedback. It looks like you have good focus but the keeper rate was a let down, even with different view screens. Most new cameras don't even allow to switch view screens anymore.

The mirrorless EFV cameras with zebra stripes, focus peaking and manual focus magnifying buttons are a game changer. But you need a camera with a high res EFV. So far the Sony a7RII is perhaps the best option. You can also easlily mount just about any lens on these cameras with little or no modification surgery. This all helps when focusing on razor thin subjects using funky projection lenses mounted in cheap(ish) Chinese helicoids.

I have not tried it but the Pentax K1 camera looks like it pumps out super great images. I am not sure how well it does with oddball manual focus tasks though.

---------- Post added 01-08-2017 at 12:54 PM ----------

I did get the Dukane 3" f/2.5 lens. It's tiny. Right now I have it wrapped in gaffer tape and stuffed into an old macro focus rail. Looks very cool. I think I will deploy this lens for tight close up subjects though. It really does not add anything at longer distances.

Last edited by Photomaximum; 01-09-2017 at 08:38 AM.
01-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
Some pics (starting with the current lens adaptation):
wow these look awesome!!
01-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #288

Thanks! I used to use a ton of manual focus "A" series Pentax lenses which I totally regret selling to buy EOS gear years ago. I still use the 50/1.4 Super Tak and the M 40/2.8 pancake lenses.

I now have two projector lens projects on the go. I had no idea how addictive and time consuming this would all become. The f/1.2 lens is just fun, quite sharp/soft in a interesting way. I going to upgrade my mount system. Right now I have the barrel thread of the lens wrapped in adhesive backed black velvet which is then inserted into a open 3 piece extension tube set with a Sony E mount that I use on the Sony a7RII. The velvet acts as a primitive helicoid. This Sony is by far the most manual focus friendly digital camera I have used. My mount upgrade (waiting for parts) will be an Ultra Slim Sony E to M42 adaptor plus M42 to M52 helicoid with the lens inserted into the front of the 52mm end. I then I will use a 48mm - 49mm step up ring which will allow me to use common 49mmm filters and lens hoods. Hoods are a must for these projects...

Some pics (starting with the current lens adaptation):
After seeing these awesome images, I've got an offer cooking on eBay for one of these - looks like an older version called a Super Sestar 1.2. I've got extension tubes already so look for some new projector pix soon...

UPDATE: Looks like my offer was accepted - $40 shipped for a 4" f1.2 Singer Super Sestar projector lens coming from Alberta, Canada...

Last edited by bstrom; 01-10-2017 at 10:45 AM.
01-09-2017, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #289
Pentaxian

For a long time (inspired by this thread) I've been meaning to have a go with the lens from my old Novomat 130 AF projector, and today I finally took the plunge. It's a Color-Paxon 85mm/2.8, which I've mounted in some cheap extension tubes to get going. These are a couple of very rough-and-ready first tests from today, but at least it's a start.

Depth of field is wafer thin, but I should be able to get a smaller aperture if I can find the right size washers.

Infinity focus will definitely be possible, although I had to free-lens this one, which is why the edges are so bad. I think I've got that solved now, but need a chance to test it.

01-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #290

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
For a long time (inspired by this thread) I've been meaning to have a go with the lens from my old Novomat 130 AF projector, and today I finally took the plunge. It's a Color-Paxon 85mm/2.8, which I've mounted in some cheap extension tubes to get going. These are a couple of very rough-and-ready first tests from today, but at least it's a start.

Depth of field is wafer thin, but I should be able to get a smaller aperture if I can find the right size washers.

Infinity focus will definitely be possible, although I had to free-lens this one, which is why the edges are so bad. I think I've got that solved now, but need a chance to test it.
Welcome to the club, Dave. Yet another never-heard-of-that one lens being put to use. Look forward to your 'better' images once you've tamed your Novomat.
01-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #291

I am not sure any of these projector lenses are worth pursuing for traditional distance or landscape photography, unless part of the objective is to feature the aberrations and focus issues these lenses have. Most images you see online are flowers and such, in a very macro style. But they can be used for wider, more medium distant subjects with an interesting look...

Last edited by Photomaximum; 01-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.
01-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #292
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure any of these projector lenses are worth pursuing for traditional distance or landscape photography, unless part of the objective is to feature the aberrations and focus issues these lenses have. Most images you see online are flowers and such, in a very macro style. But they can be used for wider, more medium distant subjects with an interesting look...
Most pictures available online are test pictures from people that did not bother to adapt them for large to medium distances. The truth is, for general landscape photography, any lens longer than 50mm would have to be stopped to f/11 or f/16, this is especially true for triplets, that do not achieve corner to corner sharpness until about f/8 on FF. Not having a diaphragm is prohibitive for landscape photography (there are exceptions, within the well corrected lenses, look here, here and here; all made wide open).

Being fast, sharp in the center and somewhat soft, for portraits, all these projector lenses should excel.

01-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #293
Pentaxian

My own feeling, admittedly after trying out my first projector lens for only a couple of days, is that it's exactly the characteristics that would usually be considered flaws that appeal to me. There's a sort of dreaminess to the rendering that reminds me of the old school technique of stretching a stocking over the lens to give a diffused look, and I completely agree with Audi 5 cyl that it should produce very flattering portraits.

As for landscape, I have to confess that I'm not a fan of the currently dominant look of super-saturated, high dynamic range, corner-to-corner ultra-sharpness (as I think my stuff in the Takumar Club makes clear). I definitely intend to keep exploring the interesting possibilities that projector lenses seem to offer for landscapes, and I've just ordered a helical that should let me shoot all the way from close-up to infinity. It'll be fun to play around with aperture discs too.
01-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #294

Yup - you're on the right track DDave. This is strictly a fantasy adventure both in technical execution and artistic expression. These lenses are not taking optics so all the inherent limitations are what challenge us to make what images we can with them. Ironically, you can't get these results easily through post processing or any modern equipment, which, in an antiestablishmentary perspective is the draw for us to explore the possibilities.

It is a marvelous contrast to the typical demands for ultimate sharpness and color we expect with all that expensive gear we own. And the gear head in us is tickled to find a use in cross-utilizing a lens that might very well be older than many of us and yet still adaptable to a creative effort that is not possible with a ready-made product at the camera store today. Jean and Marko have done well in leading the charge in this direction

I say all this in regards to the efforts being made with enlarger, photocopier and other lenses as well. The Lens Clubs feature of this forum is quite unique and offers a veritable education on optical experimentation. Once you get the bug, it's hard to shake...
01-13-2017, 02:53 AM - 6 Likes   #295
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having a play with a Agfa Agomar 100mm 1:2.5 on my K01.
Attached Images

01-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #296

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Having a play with a Agfa Agomar 100mm 1:2.5 on my K01.
#3 is pretty cool. Your Agfa has the bokeh juice!
01-19-2017, 10:29 AM - 4 Likes   #297
Pentaxian

Another test shot with the Color-Paxon 85mm/2.8, but still very much at the test shot stage. It's now mounted in a helical, giving focus from a couple of feet to infinity, with an aperture disc fitted that makes it about an f/5.6. But as you can see there's some decentring that needs to be fixed. I'm not aiming for corner-to-corner sharpness, just trying to find a balance where I've got the right level of funkiness that I want.

01-25-2017, 12:05 PM - 4 Likes   #298
Pentaxian

This should be the last test shot with the Color-Paxon. I'm starting to get the sort of look I was hoping to get from it now.

01-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #299

This should be the last test shot with the Color-Paxon. I'm starting to get the sort of look I was hoping to get from it now.
Welcome to Dreamland, Dave. Let the magic begin! Look for some closeup or macro subjects with a specular light source or highlight reflections at infinity to discover the bokeh potential of your Paxon. Keep in mind the poor flare resistance of these relics too. A hand over the lens as a hood to shield light onto the front element will often make a real difference there.

Also, if you have a bellows, you'll discover it's macro capabilities as well.
01-28-2017, 03:21 AM   #300
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shots of those Shetland ponies. A bit of a "film set" look, I think, although that might be more because of the lighting.