Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 01:32 PM - 7 Likes   #301

Went out for a fun evening a few weeks back with this lens. Tried some "night" stuff...

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 12:33 PM ----------

Lens update:

As previously noted I deployed a very DIY focussing system for this lens. The body of the lens was inserted into a Sony E mount three extension tube set with the actual lens body wrapped in black velvet that had an adhesive backing. This acted as a primitive focussing system. It was ok but after some time the primitiveness began to bug me.

What to do? The goofy thread on the barrel of the projection lens did not match any lens thread system I know of. I tried a few things and then found eventual success. I bought a M52 - M42 focussing helicoid adapter. I hoped the lens would fit into the M52 end. I also bought a super thin M42 - Sony E mount adapter to go on the back end of the focussing helicoid adapter.

Problem: the threaded body of the lens was just a bit too thick in diameter to fit into the focussing helicoid adapter. I thought about grinding off all the threads on the lens myself but that would mean removing a couple of inches of material. Doing that evenly with a grinder or Dremel tool was not appetizing. I then went wondering down into a part of town that had boat yards and a couple of machine shops. I found a small enthusiastic shop. After looking at the focussing helicoid adapter and the lens we decided to remove some of the inner material of the focussing helicoid adapter itself rather than touch the lens. This had to be done carefully so as not to remove too much of the inner focussing helicoid adapter which might make the back of the lens recede too far into the camera.

The shop did a great job. The lens now fits into the focussing helicoid adapter just perfectly. I can now get really close focus plus infinity focus. To make sure the lens stayed secure I added some silicone to the machined section of the focussing helicoid adapter. I also added a rubber O-ring to the back end of the system to help keep moisture out and make it it look more polished.

Bonus: I found that I could unscrew the ugly front threaded ring on the projector lens and substitute two of the threaded extension tube sections. This helps keep everything snug and tight and looking good!

The lens now focuses more easily and accurately. The focussing helicoid adapter is not as smooth as a real high end lens but it is certainly good enough for this project.

I thought about adding some kind of aperture system but quickly abandoned that idea: the fun part of this venture is the fast f/1.2 fixed aperture.

Here is how the lens looks now...

Some closeup tests (that little car is tiny)...

02-11-2017, 03:45 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
Went out for a fun evening a few weeks back with this lens. Tried some "night" stuff...
Salut Photomaximum !

Those are excellent images and thanks for posting everything. I really like the night images and and close focus work is great, too !

Hope to see more soon ... Cheers, J
02-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #303

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys! Love this topic as I own a few projector lenses myself. Tried to find post about Meopta Meostigmat 1/50. Looked trough all 21 page but I couldn't find anything. So, if anyone remembers where it could be please point me out.
The second lens I own is a Veginar 2,8/100. I'll get back as soon as I try them with K-5. Cheers!
02-24-2017, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #304
Pentaxian

Original Poster
February was to be my B&W month, but with the backyard flowers up early ...

Well, here's some quick fun with a new-to-me Leitz Hektor 8.5cm f/2.5 projector lens mounted in a de-glassed Helios 44-2 lens body. Also, the first time out with a projector lens on the K-1 ...

More later ... and with other projector lenses on the K-1.

02-25-2017, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #305

QuoteOriginally posted by Kazinjo Quote
Hey guys! Love this topic as I own a few projector lenses myself. Tried to find post about Meopta Meostigmat 1/50. Looked trough all 21 page but I couldn't find anything. So, if anyone remembers where it could be please point me out.
The second lens I own is a Veginar 2,8/100. I'll get back as soon as I try them with K-5. Cheers!
The Meopta Meostigmat 1/50 is a well known and proven contender in this arena. There are several forum threads on the web if you hunt around.

Look forward to seeing some pics!

---------- Post added 02-25-2017 at 03:19 PM ----------

A couple of new attempts...

Gasworks park in Seattle

Valentines Day rose

Quick model test

02-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #306
Pentaxian

The Meopta Meostigmat 1/50 is a well known and proven contender in this arena. There are several forum threads on the web if you hunt around.

Look forward to seeing some pics!

---------- Post added 02-25-2017 at 03:19 PM ----------

A couple of new attempts...

Gasworks park in Seattle

Valentines Day rose

Quick model test

The lens has such a powerful "dreamy" effect but it's incredibly pleasant. It doesn't sacrifice the quality of the picture for the effect and I really like it.
02-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #307

This lens setup is interesting. It can focus across a wide range from infinity all the way to semi short distance macro. I have a bunch of 40-58mm lenses and none of them can focus this closely. Results at infinity are a little odd, almost a plastic toy lomo lens look. Close focus is interesting as well as you cant stop the lens down from its only aperture, f/1.2. When focused at "normal" distances it looks more like a telephoto than its equivalent 52mm. I have another projector lens I am playing with. It is really interesting for close up but it does not do any distance well. Nice for flowers but not much else.

Lately I am lusting over the famous WWII surveillance camera lens, namely the huge Kodak Aero Ektar 7"/2.5 but you need a specific Speed Graphic with internal shutter which all gets expensive. This lens works brilliantly on a 4x5 camera but the effect is waisted on smaller formats. It is also quite radio active.

02-26-2017, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #308
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Inspired by Photomaximum, I took the new Leitz Hektor 8.5cm f/2.5 rig into city center for a trail ... just for fun ... still learning and I have remounted the lens a bit better ... and if I shave a millimeter or two off the rear of the lens tube, I should easily have infinity with the Helios 44-2 lens body.

02-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #309

^^ Love the chess board!
02-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes love the chess board, any chance we can see more of that and the pieces?
Thank you.
03-03-2017, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #311

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

Dremel and metal lathe are completely out of my league.

My other 4 large projector lenses - they're all bigger than kmount/m42 in size. So I'm scratching my head as to how to mount and use thoseSave
Save

This might be too simple and unflexible:

Glue the lens to a locking body cap (with a hole in it!)

You'll have to tilt in and out to focus, but at least you can try them out...

This is from this Carousel lens...

thanks/Erik
03-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #312
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
This might be too simple and unflexible:

Glue the lens to a locking body cap (with a hole in it!)

You'll have to tilt in and out to focus, but at least you can try them out...

This is from this Carousel lens...

thanks/Erik
Bonjour Erik,

Thanks for your images and hope to see more soon ... Cheers, J
03-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #313
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^^ Love the chess board!
Merci !
03-06-2017, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #314
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes love the chess board, any chance we can see more of that and the pieces?
Thank you.
Merci aussi bg !

Here are some images of the rig ... I have not yet decided if I will remove a millimeter or two from the rear of the projector lens tube in order to have infinity ... going to shoot more before doing that possibly.

The body is a Helios 44-2 (58/2) with the glass elements assembly removed. I selected this body because the Hektor almost perfectly fits inside the inner opening of the lens body. The Hektor is more firmly inserted via a bit of (red) electrical tape to fill the very small gap. Thus, I have the Hektor with a helicoid that will focus down to about 20 inches and if I want closer, just add a plain jane M42 extension tube ... last image is with a 16mm tube.

Hope that this helps, and if need be, don't hesitate to ask any questions ... Salut, J

03-20-2017, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #315
Pentaxian

One from back in January with the Color-Paxon 85mm/2.8.