Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Daxall Quote
Wonderful, as always, Duh_Vinci !

I envy you your ability to impart such glory to bits of nothing...

This is pure photography.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Agreed !!!

Really great, Duh_Vinci !
Thank you very much, too kind!

Regards,
D

12-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful images Duh_Vinci.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have many projection lenses, both from film projectors and magic lanterns.
I also have a few cheap chinese helicoids (3 if I remember), but they are quite short, and with limited throw.
I could use a bellows, but it's not very practical for use in the field.
I think the optimal solution would be deglassing an old objective beyond repair.
I guess the best choices are either a 50-ish or a 135mm. Cheap and easier to find.
I don't have anything I'm ready to butcher in M42 or PK mount, just a zoom that is not the right size nor built the right way.
I'm asking which easy to find/cheap lens can be easily deglassed and is built in a way that allow easy adaptation of proj optics.
I remember a soviet lens that had the optical barrel slide out complete of diaphragm, very easily. I've also seen that some objectives have a larger throat than others, thus allowing to fit the adapted lens deeper inside, allowing for infinity focusing.
Some lenses are quite complicated to deglass, sometimes you have to remove the diaphragm assembly to reach the glass behind it (that can't be unscrewed from the back).
I'm asking the tinkerers which in your experience makes the work easier.
Some of the Helios 58mm could be a good choice, but they are not made the same...
Thanks in advance

Paolo

12-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #349

I have just got a K1 and can confirm the schneider cinelux projector lenses cover the full frame, with just a tiny bit of vignette at the top corners (could be removed by more accurate mounting). I converted mine to PK by wrapping the mounting tube in a layer of craft foam, then screwing on a m42 adaptor. This allows some adjustment for focus distance, and then mounted in cheap extension tubes to attach to the camera. Obviously this is macro only. If it could be set at infinity it would badly vignette.

Could be a very good slide copier too.

01-21-2018, 06:06 PM - 7 Likes   #350
Veteran Member

Back to Diaplan 80mm f2.8, finally making it into a "permanent" lens with built it hood and inserted into generic M42 helicoid...

Regards,
D

---------- Post added 01-21-2018 at 06:09 PM ----------

Russian 78mm f2.8 triplett

Regards,
D
01-22-2018, 06:19 PM - 7 Likes   #351
Veteran Member

More bubbles with Diaplan, final assembly actually looks like a lens too... This is mounted to old m42 focusing rail on K10D, done for Daily challenge...

Regards,
D
01-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #352
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent Duh_Vinci !!!

01-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Russian 78mm f2.8 triplet
I have the same lens.
I didn't try to properly set it into a focusing helicoid. I thought it would be too far from the sensor to allow infinity focus.
Did you adapt it successfully (i mean, with infinity)?
Any advice regarding the adaptation of this lens? I didn't test its optical qualities enough to understand if it's worth the work. What's your opinion?

My compliments for the nice, dreamy pictures.

cheers

Paolo
03-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #354
Veteran Member

Has anyone here tried the russian 92/2 projector lens (sometimes references as "helios 92")?

I'm currently trying to talk myself out of it...
03-20-2018, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Has anyone here tried the russian 92/2 projector lens (sometimes references as "helios 92")?

I'm currently trying to talk myself out of it...
I like it quite a bit, for the rest, judge by yourself.

Biotar design projector (Leti 60) lens 92mm f/2 | Flickr
03-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #356

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I have the same lens.
I didn't try to properly set it into a focusing helicoid. I thought it would be too far from the sensor to allow infinity focus.
Did you adapt it successfully (i mean, with infinity)?
Any advice regarding the adaptation of this lens? I didn't test its optical qualities enough to understand if it's worth the work. What's your opinion?

My compliments for the nice, dreamy pictures.

cheers

Paolo
Paolo,
You can also do a dry run and hold the lens in position to determine its infinity position from the body flange, measure the distance to the lens flange and decide what size (range) helicoid is needed. You might be able to avoid using a bellows altogether.
03-22-2018, 08:08 AM - 7 Likes   #357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PENTAX K-1 • FF Mode • 3200 ISO • WILL-WETZLAR MAGINON 1:2.8/90 MC projector lens
04-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just FYI ... selling a projector lens quite expensively ...

Bokeh wie Trioplan ? Canon EF (= EOS), Pentacon AV 2.8 80mm | eBay

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Bokeh-wie-Trioplan-Sony-Nex-E-Mount-Pentacon-AV-2-8-...wAAOSwxixaDCWH
04-12-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #359
Pentaxian

Looks like I'll be joining this club very soon. I just epoxied step, up step down rings to a number of projector lenses in order to mount them on an M42 bellows by way of a reverse mounting ring. They're at work curing right now so I can't name them or search to see what anyone else might have done with them already. I'm probably going to add rings at the other ends of them to for hoods, filters and caps. I'm interested in the very dreamy, pictorial look that many of you achieve with these optics. One of them will be strictly macro, but I'm thinking a couple might have potential for infinity focus. I don't have any iris diaphragm to introduce to the light path so these will be strictly wide open lenses, at least for the moment. l like playing with old, repurposed optics to see what they can do. It's a lot of fun. (I've also non-destructively removed the lenses from a trio of Kodak bellows style cameras of varying age and used their retaining rings to add stepping rings so that they too can be used on the bellows. These should be able to achieve infinity focus, unless I'm much mistaken). I'm going to a local vintage camera show this weekend, so I'll be on the lookout for interesting bits and pieces I can play with. I hope to post shots here soon, once I have shots to post!
04-13-2018, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Looks like I'll be joining this club very soon. I just epoxied step, up step down rings to a number of projector lenses in order to mount them on an M42 bellows by way of a reverse mounting ring. They're at work curing right now so I can't name them or search to see what anyone else might have done with them already. I'm probably going to add rings at the other ends of them to for hoods, filters and caps. I'm interested in the very dreamy, pictorial look that many of you achieve with these optics. One of them will be strictly macro, but I'm thinking a couple might have potential for infinity focus. I don't have any iris diaphragm to introduce to the light path so these will be strictly wide open lenses, at least for the moment. l like playing with old, repurposed optics to see what they can do. It's a lot of fun. (I've also non-destructively removed the lenses from a trio of Kodak bellows style cameras of varying age and used their retaining rings to add stepping rings so that they too can be used on the bellows. These should be able to achieve infinity focus, unless I'm much mistaken). I'm going to a local vintage camera show this weekend, so I'll be on the lookout for interesting bits and pieces I can play with. I hope to post shots here soon, once I have shots to post!
Looking forward to your results Thagomizer.

Think about fixed cardboard apertures. Most of the projector lenses are triplets and even though they can give marvelous bokeh at times, they lack in resolution and sharpness. Both can be achieved with apertures added in front of the lens. They don`t necessarily have to be round, any shape will do. I`ve been experimenting with cardboard but there are other options online. Have fun!