Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2018, 08:12 PM - 5 Likes   #406
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Our next contestant:

Staeble-Werk Stellar 85mm f2.8

Mounted on a basic screwmount bellows via 49mm reverse adapter and 37-49mm stepping ring (epoxied to the lens itself), with an extension tube to allow clearance of the flash housing.

Minimum extension:

...and a shot at minimum extension: (approximately x.6)

Maximum extension. Not the easiest hand-held combination I've ever used...

Approximately x1.8

In the field.

The bamboo plant at work offered many possibilities. Studio-ish, or at least indoors, so no breeze. Still handheld.

Chlorophyl cobra:

Even the gravel the bamboo is planted in held interesting secrets:

I'll have to try it directly on the camera to see what I get. Presumably, less magnification and longer focusing distance.

09-16-2018, 12:04 PM - 4 Likes   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am learning a lot following this group and thank you all for your great efforts to make it better. Seeing the great results you've got using these projector lenses, you've motivated me to go out today with a couple of my all time favorites, Benoist Berthiot Panastar S and Leitz Wetzlar Colorplan. Thank you for that.

Here are the results:

Zinnia haageana
by Marko Jankovic, on Flickr

Zinnia haageana

Zinnia haageana
09-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #408
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Our next contestant:

Staeble-Werk Stellar 85mm f2.8

Mounted on a basic screwmount bellows via 49mm reverse adapter and 37-49mm stepping ring (epoxied to the lens itself), with an extension tube to allow clearance of the flash housing.

I'll have to try it directly on the camera to see what I get. Presumably, less magnification and longer focusing distance.
Great ! Those are very good and thanks for your informative post.

Nice idea for the stepping ring ... another solution !

Hope to see more soon ... Cheers, J
09-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #409
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
I am learning a lot following this group and thank you all for your great efforts to make it better. Seeing the great results you've got using these projector lenses, you've motivated me to go out today with a couple of my all time favorites, Benoist Berthiot Panastar S and Leitz Wetzlar Colorplan. Thank you for that.
Very nice, Marko !

09-18-2018, 09:20 PM - 4 Likes   #410
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cold starts to creep in

K-70, Maginon 85mm f/2.8

[IMG][/IMG]
01-23-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #411
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just some FYI here ... This $6 Flea Market Projector Lens is Surprisingly Great for Portraits

And I promise to get out soon and shoot a lens creation on the K-1 ! Cheers, J
02-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #412
Pentaxian

How do you mount these lenses? I'm thinking of getting a Diaplan 80/2.8

02-12-2019, 07:53 AM - 3 Likes   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
What I've done is to epoxy an appropriately sized step up or step down ring to a lens in such a way as I can mount it to bellows or extension tubes using a reverse adapter, using other rings to go between the reverse adapter (which is male threaded) and whatever diameter ring I have on the projector lens Which I usually have with female threads facing back towards the direction of the camera).

See here, here, and here for some examples of how I put stuff together. It's not elegant, but it works. Other people find other solutions. It all depends on what bits you've got, what bits you can get a hold of and what's going to work for your shooting style and subject matter. Some people use electrical tape or epoxy glue. Others have access to and talent for metalwork on a metal lathe. Start experimenting and sticking stuff together and see how -or if - it's going to work.

Read more at: The "Projector Lens" Club ... - Page 28 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Thagomizer; 02-12-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added quote, fixed links
02-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
What I've done is to epoxy an appropriately sized step up or step down ring to a lens in such a way as I can mount it to bellows or extension tubes using a reverse adapter, using other rings to go between the reverse adapter (which is male threaded) and whatever diameter ring I have on the projector lens Which I usually have with female threads facing back towards the direction of the camera).

See here, here, and here for some examples of how I put stuff together. It's not elegant, but it works. Other people find other solutions. It all depends on what bits you've got, what bits you can get a hold of and what's going to work for your shooting style and subject matter. Some people use electrical tape or epoxy glue. Others have access to and talent for metalwork on a metal lathe. Start experimenting and sticking stuff together and see how -or if - it's going to work.

Read more at: The "Projector Lens" Club ... - Page 28 - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the tips! I'll see what I can do...
02-13-2019, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #415
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
My favorite is a Russian macro bellows that the front M42 mount comes off so there's a really large opening in which to slide a lens ... any light leaks are fixed by using tennis racket grip tape around the barrel of the projector lens. See first page plus other later posts ... The "Projector Lens" Club ... - PentaxForums.com

Also, I have "Fraken-lensed" by inserting the projector lens into de-glassed zoom or fixed focal length lens ... my favorite is a de-glassed and partially front portion removed Helios 44 ... because you have an iris in the set-up ... here's some other ramdom images from old attachment files.

02-15-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just FYI ... here's the Russian bellows that I prefer. The chrome M42 front ring comes out leaving a large opening to insert a large diameter projection lens.

I purchased a second one recently off of fleaBay pretty cheap ... the postage from the UK was more than the purchase price. See below ... & cheers, J

04-27-2019, 03:28 AM - 4 Likes   #417
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My "quilt study" efforts ... this is what you do when you are rained in at an arts & crafts fair.

Leitz Hektor 8.5cm f/2.5 mounted in a de-glassed and half body of a Helios 44-2 lens ... basically it's a M42 helicoid and this will focus to infinity. (x-post from K-1 thread)

05-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #418
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just FYI ... Projector lenses are showing up on eBay. Here's one fitted into a halved Helios 44-2 body ... there are a few others on this site.

PROJECTOR PROJECTION 16KP LENS F/1.2 50mm FOCUSING HELICOID SONY E MIRRORLESS | eBay

05-14-2019, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #419
Pentaxian

reflecta Agomar 90mm f/2.8 on K-5
I think my Maginon 85mm is more pleasing but more testing needed

[IMG][/IMG]
05-15-2019, 07:57 AM - 5 Likes   #420
Pentaxian

reflecta Agomar 90mm f/2.8 on K-5

[IMG][/IMG]