Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #1486
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
jsherman999: Personally, if the lens is not really nice cosmetically, I wouldn't pay quite that much for it - but that's me. It may not make any difference to you, and it probably doesn't point to any optical problems with the lens... But you want to be really happy with your purchase.

You may just want to stay in the hunt for another copy, or offer $200 flat, shipped.
Yes, you are correct. What concerns me most is he advertises it as "indistinguishable form new," yet sends pics that clearly show him, not just wrong, but way off. I doubt deception is involved, but if his organizational skills and presentation for lenses of this caliber are this out of sorts, I feel impelled to avoid a business transaction with him.

So it is done--I will not buy the lens from Rome. In the case of many lenses, the cosmetics are of little to no concern for me, but this is a lens I see myself keeping, cherishing, and passing on someday.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 04-02-2010 at 11:05 PM.
04-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #1487
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: actually it's the J-9, the Helios is different and would had cost at what the M85 is selling for or even more so. sorry, I'm not really aware of how expensive the Helios can go beyond $300 in the used market (maybe double or triple), it depends on the demand and how outrageous some people sell their used copies.
Pentaxor, thank you for the correction on the Helios vs J9.

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: I think performance and IQ-wise, the Helios is better for the same price as that of the M85. it is also an f1.5. as compared to f2 or half-stop faster. but it's an M42, which is not your preferred setup. may I ask why?
Really, the Helios a better performer--perhaps I'll re-evaluate things. The half stop may or may not be important, depending upon how good a half stop it is. I have some really fine, pristine condition, M42 glass: Auto Taks, Super Taks & others. I do not like having to screw these lenses into and out of the body. I see it as big opportunity for sensor dust. So, I carry one adapter, which I have modified by taking off the locking tab. This means I am always relying on friction for a safe mount, which has not failed me yet, but which always demands a certain amount of my attention while I shoot--along with sensor dust, I do not like this, nor do I like the added time involved in setting a lens up for shooting. But also, especially the case since all my m42 glass is family-gifted, M42 glass is so finely crafted it almost seems senseless to have it out in the field: I am often really out in the field too. Then there is the issue of weight too. As it is you would not believe my hiking bag and what is in it. That is initially what drove me the Tamron 17-50 route.

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: anyway, in fairness to the M85, it's size is really attractive. and it does seem to perform really good, especially when you are after resolution, sharpness and contrast. I didn't include bokeh because this seems to be subjective and differs, unless you are looking for that same specific bokeh that the FA77 could render and produce that specific pop or 3D image. but yet again, pop and 3D effect can also be achieved by the other fast 85s. the color maybe considered a plus for the M85, but this does not make the other 85's color dull nor unpleasant.
Not to sound smart, but what else are we after in our images besides resolution, sharpness and contrast? Since all we have left is bokeh & color, it sounds like, to me, you are, without really saying it, implying the M85 is lacking a bit here--is this a fair summation on my part?

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor:I almost considered buying an M85/2 last year (October IIRC), under Marc's suggestion. I could had pulled the trigger and got the lens, but I never did. I opted for something faster which was more ideal for portraiture and which has a more soft and less contrasty rendering.
Please, tell me what you opted for--I am seriously curious? Thanks.
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #1488
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, you are correct. What concerns me most is he advertises it as "indistinguishable form new," yet sends pics that clearly show him, not just wrong, but way of. I doubt deception is involved, but if his organizational skills and presentation for lenses of this caliber are this out of sorts, I feel impelled to avoid a business transaction with him.

So it is done--I will not buy the lens from Rome. In the case of many lenses, the cosmetics are of little to no concern for me, but this is a lens I see myself keeping, cherishing, and passing on someday.
it's not the end of the world Jewel. I believe you will find or secure a copy in the future, whether here in the marketplace or on eBay. as for Jka, I think he is more of a reseller or someone who engages in a Buy and Sell posting purposes only here in the forum.
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #1489
Veteran Member

Pentaxor, thank you for the correction on the Helios vs J9.

Really, the Helios a better performer--perhaps I'll re-evaluate things. The half stop may or may not be important, depending upon how good a half stop it is. I have some really fine, pristine condition, M42 glass: Auto Taks, Super Taks & others. I do not like having to screw these lenses into and out of the body. I see it as big opportunity for sensor dust. So, I carry one adapter, which I have modified by taking off the locking tab. This means I am always relying on friction for a safe mount, which has not failed me yet, but which always demands a certain amount of my attention while I shoot--along with sensor dust, I do not like this, nor do I like the added time involved in setting a lens up for shooting. But also, especially the case since all my m42 glass is family-gifted, M42 glass is so finely crafted it almost seems senseless to have it out in the field: I am often really out in the field too. Then there is the issue of weight too. As it is you would not believe my hiking bag and what is in it. That is initially what drove me the Tamron 17-50 route.

Not to sound smart, but what else are we after in our images besides resolution, sharpness and contrast? Since all we have left is bokeh & color, it sounds like, to me, you are, without really saying it, implying the M85 is lacking a bit here--is this a fair summation on my part?

Please, tell me what you opted for--I am seriously curious? Thanks.
No, I'm not implying that the M85 lacks something. it is great for those who like or love it's rendering. sharp, contrasty, bokeh, pop, OOF. but it didn't suit my needs nor to my personal liking. I was looking for something faster wide open with a softy sharp feel, creamy bokeh, brighter and a bit more subject isolation. so I got a Rokinon 85/1.4 mainly for wide open shots. never considered using it stop down. also got a J-9 for other purposes but mainly out of curiosity and used for lower aparture shots which required very good center sharpness and specular or circular OOF highlights but still with very good bokeh (not too sharp at the borders and edges). surprisingly, I liked the center sharpness, color and smooth but unusual bokeh. flare could very well be a problem though, so I'm using it with a wide and deep hood.

04-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #1490
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: it's not the end of the world Jewel. I believe you will find or secure a copy in the future, whether here in the marketplace or on eBay. as for Jka, I think he is more of a reseller or someone who engages in a Buy and Sell posting purposes only here in the forum.
I'm okay with it--no problem. Just bothered a bit by the waste of time. Yes, your assessment of him sounds accurate.
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #1491
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: No, I'm not implying that the M85 lacks something. it is great for those who like or love it's rendering. sharp, contrasty, bokeh, pop, OOF. but it didn't suit my needs nor to my personal liking. I was looking for something faster wide open with a softy sharp feel, creamy bokeh, brighter and a bit more subject isolation. so I got a Rokinon 85/1.4 mainly for wide open shots. never considered using it stop down. also got a J-9 for other purposes but mainly out of curiosity and used for lower aparture shots which required very good center sharpness and specular or circular OOF highlights but still with very good bokeh (not too sharp at the borders and edges). surprisingly, I liked the center sharpness, color and smooth but unusual bokeh. flare could very well be a problem though, so I'm using it with a wide and deep hood.
Gotcha! You have been a big help--I am grateful. This has me re-thinking my needs, and the options. Thank you.
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #1492
Veteran Member

Gotcha! You have been a big help--I am grateful. This has me re-thinking my needs, and the options. Thank you.
are you not considering the new AF Sigma 85/1.4 ? I'm considering it though because of AF and for other different purposes aside from portraiture. also if it has a great IQ (very sharp or softy-sharp wide open), that would be awesome as well. hope it's affordable though. anyway, if I like it and it's IQ wide open, I might sell my Rokinon, depending on how the Sigma renders.

04-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #1493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jay, Marc, & Pentaxor: I purchased the lens here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/95957-sale-pe...00mm-more.html

With all Paypal fees, and the "economical" (translation from the Italian @ Google) shipping, it totals out to about 280 US dollars. Certainly not a steal, and I knew this.
Jewelltrail - I read that ad and thought about that lens, but I am on hiatus until I sell some excess stuff (this Sunday will of course not be a good posting day).

Bummer on the outcome for you, but you want to enjoy actually shooting with it. If every time you look at it you feel a tick of negativity it just won't work.

A friend gave me a Super Tak 105/2.8. Missing the beauty ring, so no filters possible and I have to use my hat for a hood.

I can't argue with the price and the glass is nice, but I'm always on the lookout for a parts lens or a complete one. It just isn't as much fun to use that way. A better one will come along.

Give it six months and people will be hot for something else. Price-wise, FWIW, there is a no-caps EX M85/2 at KEH for $349. Maybe your price isn't so bad after all - or maybe the M85/2 is overbought right now..
04-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #1494
Veteran Member

Jewell, if it is any help, I paid about $250 shipped for the M85/2 on this forum about a year or two ago, in pretty much perfect cosmetic condition (only deficiency is a bit of wear on the aperture blades, but nothing that affects anything), including the original case and original hood. I think it is a wonderful lens.
04-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #1495
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor:
are you not considering the new AF Sigma 85/1.4 ? I'm considering it though because of AF and for other different purposes aside from portraiture. also if it has a great IQ (very sharp or softy-sharp wide open), that would be awesome as well. hope it's affordable though. anyway, if I like it and it's IQ wide open, I might sell my Rokinon, depending on how the Sigma renders.
Yes, I am considering the Sigma 85mm 1.4. With AF, it would become my go-to portrait lens. I have not seen anything shot with the sigma yet--how do you know this much about its IQ already? A MF 85 I would use outdoors with some landscapes and floral shots.
04-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #1496
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
monochrome:Jewelltrail - I read that ad and thought about that lens, but I am on hiatus until I sell some excess stuff (this Sunday will of course not be a good posting day).

Bummer on the outcome for you, but you want to enjoy actually shooting with it. If every time you look at it you feel a tick of negativity it just won't work.

A friend gave me a Super Tak 105/2.8. Missing the beauty ring, so no filters possible and I have to use my hat for a hood.

I can't argue with the price and the glass is nice, but I'm always on the lookout for a parts lens or a complete one. It just isn't as much fun to use that way. A better one will come along.

Give it six months and people will be hot for something else. Price-wise, FWIW, there is a no-caps EX M85/2 at KEH for $349. Maybe your price isn't so bad after all - or maybe the M85/2 is overbought right now..
Thanks MC--lots of good thoughts & advice. Looky here: SMC Pentax-M 2/85mm f Pentax K - eBay (item 350334545260 end time Apr-28-10 13:16:35 PDT)

QuoteQuote:
jeffrey r Jewell, if it is any help, I paid about $250 shipped for the M85/2 on this forum about a year or two ago, in pretty much perfect cosmetic condition (only deficiency is a bit of wear on the aperture blades, but nothing that affects anything), including the original case and original hood. I think it is a wonderful lens.
Jeff--yes, that does help. And that sounds like a fair deal--thanks.
04-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #1497
Veteran Member

Yes, I am considering the Sigma 85mm 1.4. With AF, it would become my go-to portrait lens. I have not seen anything shot with the sigma yet--how do you know this much about its IQ already? A MF 85 I would use outdoors with some landscapes and floral shots.
I'm just conditionally assuming that its really good and also I'm optimistic about the optical design of the lens. it has more elements than the FA77 and FA*85 and such addition could affect the IQ on a very good scale. who knows, it might be a combination of the Sigma 70 and Sigma 105 macro IQ rendering. the reviews might be out by July or August, but I think we have to wait until the end of the year before we get our turn for the K-mount.
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #1498
Veteran Member

Can't wait for that Sigma

Now back to M lenses!
04-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #1499
Veteran Member

M 85mm @ F/2.8

Very natural and accurate rendering!

Last edited by yeatzee; 04-04-2010 at 12:11 AM.
04-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #1500
Forum Member

M2/85 @ F/4