Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote

K200D; M 40/2.8 Pancake

Very nice! What aperture?

08-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #1817
Veteran Member

A quickie done with my Pentax K200d and M 50mm F/1.7 reversed directly on the camera. 4 images stacked
08-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #1818
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like venue Mark shoots , he's very good at it, neck of hollow-body is very soothing
in 1st shot, m135/3.5 just looks like its flatout fun.

Yeatzee, you did it again!
08-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #1819
MSM
Veteran Member

Here is one from the M50/1.7. I have enjoyed using the lens. Clearly my son is over it, though.

08-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #1820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Beautiful image LensScribe,

Great composition, lighting and use of geometric shapes.

Tom G
Thanks Tom G. It's certainly not the sharpest lens, but it has it's charms.
08-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #1821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some pics from the beach with the 85/2:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo   
08-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #1822
Veteran Member

Been a while since I have posted in here - lately I have been using my M series lenses on film more than digital, but here's a fun shot:

M 50mm f/1.4:

08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #1823
Veteran Member

Hi Goddo, thats my longest lived pentax glass, had it almost 30 years.
know what you mean about film, used to love shooting 100 tri-x
with a stepping ring and green or red filters, have some vacation time coming,
thinking about going retro... shot any B/W with yours.
08-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #1824
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Goddo, thats my longest lived pentax glass, had it almost 30 years.
know what you mean about film, used to love shooting 100 tri-x
with a stepping ring and green or red filters, have some vacation time coming,
thinking about going retro... shot any B/W with yours.
Hi Bill,

I certainly have shot black and white with the M50mm f/1.4... Check out my '35mm film images in my signature if you like (although I'm not so good at tagging which photos are taken with which lens!).

Here is one with the M50mm f/1.4, using Fuji Acros 100:
08-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #1825
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Sad Cougar Tale

This afternoon about 16:00 (4 pm) my neighbour called over the fence to tell me there was a cougar in his back yard. Cougar are also known as puma and mountain lion. They are indigenous in the area where I live, and occasionally get into enough trouble that they have to be put down.

This juvenile came into my neighbour's back yard, targeting their dachshund. Their 12 year old son yelled at the cat, and it moved toward him. Luckily he know what to do and made himself big by raising his arms and yelled threateningly at the cougar and it backed off, hiding behind their garden shed, where I got this peek at the cat while standing on my neighbour's raised back deck/veranda. This could have been a very serious situation - the neighbours also have a two year old son, who is just the perfect size for prey.

K10D, M 400/5.6, ISO 400, 1/80 @ f/8, braced on a railing hand held, SR on.

The Conservation Officer was called, and in turn called the RCMP detachment. The sergeant and two officers arrived within a few minutes, and got the story from the family. Unfortunately, the cougar was threatening humans and pets, and was in a back yard in what is basically a subdivision with small lots, and many young children, and this condemned him. The constable is in my back yard, where he had a reasonably clear view behind the shed.

K10D, M 400/5.6, ISO 100, 1/40 @ f/8, braced on a railing hand held, SR on.

It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that resulted in the death of a beautiful animal. Most of these events are actually by uneducated residents who do not follow safe habits. They put meat bones and scraps in their garbage, and do not secure the garbage from animals. They let their pets go free. These things one does not do when one lives in a small town (< 4,000 population) in bear and cougar country. So many people do not follow animal safe practices, and then wonder why the animals get too close for comfort and have to be removed. In this case, another neighbour lost two cats within the last few days, something that could have been prevented by simply keeping the cats under control.

The worst case in recent years was a grizzly sow who had already been relocated once (they spray paint them with a mark to make it known, as they are already problem bears). She invaded a back porch together with two one year old cubs, and was put down while trying to get through the kitchen door.
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #1826
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
.... Unfortunately, the cougar was threatening humans...
Just kidding, right?
08-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #1827
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Just kidding, right?
nope. they are efficient predators and have already been involved in a lot of run-ins with pets, livestocks and humans. although such encounters could be attributed to improper garbage/food disposal,I won't say that it's the only sole cause. the scarcity of food in their habitat made these animals to wander off in the vicinity of humans. also the growing or expansion of humans living where the animals habitat is, also increased the chances of encounter. most often, such incident occur in the squamish region. I think there were human and pet attacks involved there but mostly pets getting torn to shreds and eaten. there was also report last year where a boy was about to be attacked by a cougar but thankfully was rescued by it's pet dog in Victoria I think. another incident occurred along the Fraser river near a school where some of the school pets were killed.

we have to accept the fact that such animals cant live side by side with humans. sadly, its a case of survival of the fittest.
08-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #1828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Just kidding, right?
Things are dry here in BC and there seems to be more sightings the past couple of weeks than normal. Perhaps they are following prey down from the mountains? We had a run in last week camping as it was stalking some dogs 2 campsites down from ours. The rest of the night was spent listening to the rangers driving back and forth shinning lights in the brush in an attempt to run it off.

No-one wants to see anything happen to them but the attacks are more frequent. They weigh over 200 pounds and fatalities usually involve children under the age of 12.

Cougars in Canada: Cougars attack - Canadian Geographic Magazine: In-depth

"There have been 110 documented attacks in North America since 1890, yet almost half of those occurred after 1990." "Fleeing will trigger their instinct to chase and attack. Pick up all small children and face the cougar and look as large as possible."

It really is sad......they are beautiful animals.
08-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #1829

M 50mm f/1.7

Shot this waterfall with my K10D and my very first lens I bought with my MX some 30 years ago. Used the 50mm f/1.7 because it is the only lens I have a polarizer for, which I used as a neutral density filter in order to get the slow shutter needed for the water movement. Still too much light though. This was shot mid morning, a couple hours later than I would have liked. The kids didn't want to get up that early.
Used f/22 and 1/4 second.
08-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #1830
Veteran Member

200 pounds.....that's approx 90kg! Cats are experts in hiding/sneaking and they're very fast and strong. I can understand that people are afraid. We have lynx and wolves where I live, but they attack livestock only.

Kind regards
.lars