Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #1831
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cougar Tale

Quite a story Albert.

To bad the cougar had to be put down. Not a perfect solution but better that than a child being mauled or killed. I guess they didn't have a dart gun available to tranquilize the cat.

That was a nice image you managed with the M 400 bye-the-way. I suspect 400mm didn't seem quite long enough at the time.

Tom G

08-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #1832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Just kidding, right?
No, not kidding at all. If my neighbour's 12 year old had not had the presence of mind to remember what to do, he could quite easily have been dinner. It was withing 3 meters (10 feet) of him, and was looking at him with lowered eyelids. We live in the Rocky Mountains. Our properties border on undeveloped, treed land. We have seen bears chasing deer from our back yard.
08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #1833
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Quite a story Albert.

To bad the cougar had to be put down. Not a perfect solution but better that than a child being mauled or killed. I guess they didn't have a dart gun available to tranquilize the cat.

That was a nice image you managed with the M 400 bye-the-way. I suspect 400mm didn't seem quite long enough at the time.

Tom G
Hi, Tom. The decision to kill the cougar was based on the human threat and that the animal was in a back yard (50x100 foot lot - not a large yard at all) with humans present, and did not leave until the boy made himself big. Even then it merely hid behind a garden shed on the same lot. This behaviour indicates serious trouble in the future. The local Conservation Officer referred the situation to the RCMP.

Actually, the 400 was a bit long later - the old M won't focus any closer than 16 feet, so I did not get any snaps of the RCMP removing the body. A 50 foot wide lot does not give a large field of view with a 400. Given the option again, I would probably put on the 50-135 + 1.7X, but would have had to shut off the AF, obviously.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 08-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.
08-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #1834
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Hi, Tom. The decision to kill the cougar was based on the human threat and that the animal was in a back yard (50x100 foot lot - not a large yard at all) with humans present, and did not leave until the boy made himself big. Even then it merely hid behind a garden shed on the same lot. This behaviour indicates serious trouble in the future. The local Conservation Officer referred the situation to the RCMP.

Actually, the 400 was a bit long later - the old M won't focus any closer than 16 feet, so I did not get any snaps of the RCMP removing the body. A 50 foot wide lot does not give a large field of view with a 400. Given the option again, I would probably put on the 50-135 + 1.7X, but would have had to shut off the AF, obviously.
I'm sure the authorities who deal with these situations made the proper decision given the situation. Those of us who live in urban areas tend to forget, if we ever knew, how dangerous wild animals can be.

Tom G

08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #1835
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

it's good that the conservation officer allowed you to take photos of him. if it were the RCMP, you'd be having some hard time doing so (they can be a bunch of snobs). although they can't seem to escape the limelight and no chance to hide nowadays because of their bad press due to the Pickton case.

anyway, do you have other shots of the poor thing?
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #1836
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's good that the conservation officer allowed you to take photos of him. if it were the RCMP, you'd be having some hard time doing so (they can be a bunch of snobs). although they can't seem to escape the limelight and no chance to hide nowadays because of their bad press due to the Pickton case.

anyway, do you have other shots of the poor thing?
That is an RCMP constable in the photo with the rifle. The Conservation Officer did not need to come and sent the RCMP instead. The detachment sergeant gave the OK to publish the shot. The only restrictions they had, and there were the usual iPods and camcorders around, were when they were actually shooting and had us go indoors "in case of a ricochet." I have a number of variations of the cat peeking out from the shed from time to time, but this one is the one I like best. The only reason I actually took the picture of Jamie with weapon was because he is in my back yard to get a sight line behind the shed. According to my wife, he was not happy about shooting the cat, either. No-one up here likes to have to take down a beautiful animal like that just because it is a potential danger.
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #1837
Veteran Member

To Albert, Have been to your beautiful country and met enough of your brothers
and sisters to know that you folks arent "quick on the trigger". Had there been another
option, it would of been pursued. My heart goes out to all involved.

08-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #1838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
To Albert, Have been to your beautiful country and met enough of your brothers
and sisters to know that you folks arent "quick on the trigger". Had there been another
option, it would of been pursued. My heart goes out to all involved.
Thanks, Bill.
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #1839

My favourites from yesterday, with the M 50/1.7

08-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #1840
Veteran Member

M 28mm F/3.5

The pano was much more impressive, but microsoft ICE apparently couldn't handle all of the lines.... and my pp skills couldn't recover it so I had to drastically crop :ugh:
08-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #1841
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
M 28mm F/3.5

The pano was much more impressive, but microsoft ICE apparently couldn't handle all of the lines.... and my pp skills couldn't recover it so I had to drastically crop :ugh:
What do you mean by Microsoft ICE?

Edited: ah Image Composite Editor. Didn't even know that kind of software existed from Microsoft...Photoshop all the way
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #1842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am interested in purchasing either the M 200/4 or M 75-150/4 and was wondering if anyone could post some more pics and discussion on these lenses.
Cheers, Sam
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #1843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
I am interested in purchasing either the M 200/4 or M 75-150/4 and was wondering if anyone could post some more pics and discussion on these lenses.
Cheers, Sam
Hi Sam,

Not digital, but here is a shot taken with the M200/4 which was either f/4 or f/5.6:

Actually, here is one taken on digital that was probably f/5.6:

It's a decent lens. Quite sharp especially at f/5.6 and up. Really nice 'M series' rendering. However I would rate the M135/3.5 slightly higher as it's a touch sharper again and a bit more of a useful focal length IMO.

Both the 135/3.5 and 200/4 are good value - there's enough around to ensure the prices are quite reasonable.

cheers
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #1844
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
Have you read the reviews in the Lens Review section of this site?
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #1845
Veteran Member

Hi Sam, Had 2 copies of M200/4, 1st from ebay seller was clouded up with fungas
would'nt mount or use. Exchanged that to Keh for another.

Was superseeded and sold for k200/2.5 I picked up.
really like m200/4, little soft wide open, neck down just half stop and it really sharpens
up. Handling is just terrific, about three quarter throw in/out. very well dampened.
Didnt have too long, little bit I did, was very impressed. could'nt pass up 200/2.5 tho
Winter wren earlier this year was at f/5.6, dont know why, but never felt like I needed
to enable SR with it. A very solid lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by BillM; 08-30-2010 at 11:24 AM.