Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #2206
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mglowe Quote
theunartist m 28/2.8

I guess the M 28 2.8, being such a common lens, takes a lot of criticism. But, I find it to be about as good as the more reputable M 28 3.5. I always enjoy using the 2.8. Nice shot!
Thanks! With today's PP software, the "lack of contrast and color" no longer can apply to this lens. I think it's a nice lens, pretty fast and very sharp...

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Not normally; however, saving EXIF data is an option in FS batch processing that can be toggled. Check the details closely in advanced Save options in most programs for this feature.

Nice composition. I like the "manikin-like legs" formed by the easel in front of the seated woman.

H2
Thanks! I really like using Faststone, as far as I can tell I would only like to have some kind of noise reduction option, and if there is one, I'm must be overlooking it. I've found if I shoot in JPEG mode, open in FastStone, all the EXIF is there and saved to image.

Even PP Raw files, I can see the EXIF, but for some reason when I save it to upload, it does not save the EXIF... I'll look around in all the options.

02-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #2207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
some kind of noise reduction option
Noiseware Community Edition.

Imagenomic - Best Plugins for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Apple Aperture

Try this freeware program as a non-plug-in noise reduction option with FS. Works well for me at the level of PP possible when using FS.

I have no EXIF problems with FS.

H2
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #2208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Ah... Natty Boh! What would college have been without its affordable nectar. (Fortunately I still have both eyes.)
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
PBR's or even Old Milwaukee's...
Rolling Rock Really cold.

Instead of 6 12oz. cans you got a cardboard box of 12 8oz. green bottles. For less $ than the branded beer.

And it was counter-culture cool in 1975 if you drank beer instead of smoking.

Of course, if you had a date . . .

Alas, ABInBev bought Rolling Rock last year - end of an era.
02-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #2209
Veteran Member

pacerr....thanks for the pointer. I use FS for my laptop PP work. The program works well with what it has but I find it sometimes frustrating to have to swap to other s/w for relatively simple jobs.

02-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #2210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
pacerr... frustrating to have to swap to other s/w
for relatively simple jobs.
True, but I've set up the right-click menu option [Edit With Other Program]
for quick access to my more robust PP programs and Nik plug-ins which makes
for much quicker and more convenient access. Just don't forget to save and
re-select the newly modified file if you come directly back into FSV.

FSV's got a lot of unsuspected capability if you take the time to explore the
menu and tool bars.

H2
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #2211
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Noiseware Community Edition.

Imagenomic - Best Plugins for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Apple Aperture

Try this freeware program as a non-plug-in noise reduction option with FS. Works well for me at the level of PP possible when using FS.

I have no EXIF problems with FS.

H2
I'm not sure if you're saying there is a free plugin to work with Faststone from Imagenomic.

If there is do you have a link.

Thanks
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #2212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I'm not sure if you're saying there is a free plugin to work with Faststone from Imagenomic. If there is do you have a link.
What you want is the free "Community Edition Standalone" found at:

Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed

A mid level version is available for about $50 as well.

To my knowledge, FSV doesn't support integral plug-ins in the normal sense, (or that may simply be semantics) but this program is easy to integrate into the FSV work flow using the [Edit With Other Software] option.

The tutorials at that site are helpful as well. The freeware version has limited customization but the pre-sets are effective enough for the final results you'd expect when using FSV. (As an ol' Tri-X film user I'm not as fastidious about noise and grain as some others are anyway.)

H2

We're sort'a drifting OT here - if you'd like more info PM me.

02-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #2213
Forum Member

Tulips under light - M 1.7mm fuly open - no flash.

02-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #2214

Photos: Albums
SMC M 28 3.5

02-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #2215

SMC M 28 3.5

02-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #2216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC M 28 3.5
Superb Mg,everything "tack sharp" on this end
03-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #2217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Superb Mg,everything "tack sharp" on this end
Palo Duro Canyon? Agreed - that M28 is *sharp* - nice shots.

Paul
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #2218

SMC M28 3.5

Thanks for the comments on those last couple of photos. Yes, it is Palo Duro Canyon.
It's an unheralded place (except of course for the folks living in the area) considering that it offers in any season such a variety of beauty.

The 28 3.5 is a very good lens. Do either one of you use this lens? On the subject of Pentax 28mm lenses, I'll make a comment that someone will certainly disagree with. If the truth ever comes out, I think the M 28 2.8 (1st version, never used the 2nd version) will receive the credit it deserves for being a stellar lens. It may show a little more distortion in rigid testing, but for everything I've used it for so far, distortion is completely negligible. I kind of like it better than the 3.5. It's always looked so pleasingly sharp to me, and stopped down, I think it's sharper than the 3.5 version. There is a popular Pentax lens test floating around the internet that bears out the extreme sharpness of the 2.8 1st version. It gives the 2.8 1st version the best results @ f11 of all the Pentax 28mm lenses (there is a 28 2.0 and a 30mm that get about equal marks if my memory is correct). At 2.8, the lens is fairly sharp, and it takes beautifully smooth portraits. Images from the 2.8 are both smoother and more transparent compared to the 3.5 to my eye. Also it close focuses, and, it's small. I always wondered what caused the 2.8 lens to get it's reputation as being an inferior lens. Maybe because it's one of the most common Pentax lenses and so incredibly cheap, it's automatically perceived as producing common or below average images. Maybe the 2.8 is not equal to the 3.5 if shooting pictures with film. In any case, the 3.5 is a superb lens, one of the best 28mm Pentax lenses, super sharp with a build quality that is awfully nice. I'm partial to it if I'm planning to stitch a number of photos together because of it's low geometrical distortion.

This M thread is kind of slow, so, I suppose I won't worry about taking up too much page space posting so many photos.

Last edited by mglowe; 03-01-2011 at 08:25 PM.
03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #2219
Site Supporter

If the truth ever comes out, I think the M 28 2.8 (1st version, never used the 2nd version) will receive the credit it deserves for being a stellar lens.
Nice shots.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear!

SMC M 28mm f2.8 Version II (SMC A optics)

It was my first MF lens, I love it! These probably show off the DR of the K-r more than the sharpness of the M28 VII, because they are wide open, but its a very sharp lens, I love the colours it produces.

Treasure Beach - Pentax K-r, wide-open, 400 and 800 ISO, jpegs, no pp
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by Deimos; 03-06-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added watermarks
03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #2220

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Nice shots.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear!

SMC M 28mm f2.8 Version II (SMC A optics)

It was my first MF lens, I love it! These probably show off the DR of the K-r more than the sharpness of the M28 VII, because they are wide open, but its a very sharp lens, I love the colours it produces.

Treasure Beach - Pentax K-r, wide-open, 400 and 800 ISO, jpegs, no pp
I sure do like that shot of the boats! It would be hard to tell the difference between my version and your version of the 28 2.8. These 2.8s do produce a different looking image than the 3.5 version.