Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #2266
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mglowe Quote
This is a very nice landscape. The lighting is beautiful and the composition is fluid and lyrical. Shooting wide open, as you say, worked fine for this photo. Do you usually stop that lens down when shooting landscapes?
Paulh, the bridge shot is beautifully lit (or lighted) and sharp also.
Thanks! It was just about to rain but the sky looked amazing so I ran out and snapped a couple.

To be honest it is possible that I stopped it down for that shot, but I was generally pretty lazy most of the time using the lens in Av mode wide open, no aperture in EXIF so hard to say

But it would be better for me to stop down to catch more detail on these landscapes im sure. I just need to get good about pressing the amazing Green button

03-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #2267
Site Supporter

Heres another

Last edited by Deimos; 04-18-2012 at 02:24 PM.
03-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #2268
Pentaxian

Got to love the colours produced by this lens!

03-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #2269
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love that m 20 colour too! great pic.

03-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #2270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I love that m 20 colour too! great pic.
Thanks!

Here is one from the underrated m200/f4

03-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #2271
Pentaxian

M20/f4 did it again...

03-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #2272
Site Supporter

Nice shots guys. I love the different M colours and wow all super sharp

03-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #2273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had my M50/1.4 out yesterday,wanted to shoot on LX with ektachrome 200,
just didnt have the ambient light.Mounted on K20.Would like to try M28/3.5
for stuff like this.

Not sure of bands name,am hoping someone else that was there might add.
Deserve credit for good time by all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #2274

Learning Manual w/a 50 mm 1:2

I'm new to manual. My dad gave me 2 nice manual lenses. The one a 50mm 1:2 and the other a zoom w/macro. I'm starting with the prime lens. Where can I find pic. tutorials or video on how to use this lens? Other than put it on, focus and shoot... I'm sure the dials and numbers mean something and that I can manipulate it more than I am.
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by squigglytwigs Quote
I'm new to manual. My dad gave me 2 nice manual lenses. The one a 50mm 1:2 and the other a zoom w/macro. I'm starting with the prime lens. Where can I find pic. tutorials or video on how to use this lens? Other than put it on, focus and shoot... I'm sure the dials and numbers mean something and that I can manipulate it more than I am.
Welcome to the MF world!

We can guide you better if we know about the camera that you are going to put those lenses on. What kind of camera do you have?
03-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #2276

camera type

I have a K-x. I've read how to fit them on and change the settings to allow manual focus. All is going well on that front. They both shoot and shoot well. Now I want to maximize them. Since I've never used any type of camera with manual lenses, I don't know how to maximize their potential. I've googled and googled and am still not getting the lead I need to learn how to set these things up.
I did get some nice shots yesterday with bokeh, and with both lenses. The zoom I set on macro for it. All of my shooting was done by experimentation. The bokeh shots were only achieved at a very close range. I'd love to learn how to shoot full body and still get nice bokeh. I excited to "unwrap" these things.
TIA
03-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #2277
Pentaxian

I have a K-x. I've read how to fit them on and change the settings to allow manual focus. All is going well on that front. They both shoot and shoot well. Now I want to maximize them. Since I've never used any type of camera with manual lenses, I don't know how to maximize their potential. I've googled and googled and am still not getting the lead I need to learn how to set these things up.
I did get some nice shots yesterday with bokeh, and with both lenses. The zoom I set on macro for it. All of my shooting was done by experimentation. The bokeh shots were only achieved at a very close range. I'd love to learn how to shoot full body and still get nice bokeh. I excited to "unwrap" these things.
TIA
What you're saying is more related to the principles of photography with a given lens, not specifically to MF or AF. I suggest you have a look at the beginner section of PF to get more details on the principles of photography like Photographic Technique - PentaxForums.com and go out and experiment.
03-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #2278

I must have misstated what I'm after. I want to learn how to do these things with these manual focus lenses, specifically. The beginner forum is nice, but has not answered the specifics of using these manual lenses. Where can I read about use of manual lenses...unlocking their potential. I know there has to be more to these than set the aperture, focus and shoot.... Or is that really all that is different with manual lenses verses auto?
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #2279
Site Supporter

I must have misstated what I'm after. I want to learn how to do these things with these manual focus lenses, specifically. The beginner forum is nice, but has not answered the specifics of using these manual lenses. Where can I read about use of manual lenses...unlocking their potential. I know there has to be more to these than set the aperture, focus and shoot.... Or is that really all that is different with manual lenses verses auto?

Thats pretty much it

Basically two types of older pentax lenses, those with an "A" setting on the aperture and those without. (SMC-A vs SMC-M, there are others but the A on the aperture ring is a basic distinction). The A on the aperture ring allows for the camera to determine some of your setting automatically depending on the aperture given. Without the A setting you must make those adjustments manually using the Green button, except for at the lowest aperture setting, where in Av mode the camera will still make those adjustments.

If the aperture ring does not have an "A" setting (only numbers like 2.8, 3.2, 5.6 etc) then you can put the camera in Av mode and the camera will make the automatic adjustments for you assuming that you have the lens at its lowest aperture setting (say f2.8 for example) regardless of the setting on the aperture ring. If you have this kind of lens and you want to use a higher aperture then you put the camera in M mode, then the camera will read whatever setting you have the aperture ring at, say f5.6 for example, but then before you shoot, you will need to push the "Green Button" on the top of your camera will aiming at something central to your photo (such as a face or sky), once you have pressed the green button, the camera will make a noise and will adjust the settings for the new aperture setting (f5.6), then you just focus and shoot. if your subject/lighting/aperture changes you just do the green button step again focus and shoot.

If you have a lens with an "A" setting, you can set the aperture ring to "A" and with the camera in Av mode you will be able to select the aperture setting on the LCD (f3.2, 5.6, 8 etc) then the camera will make the adjustments (like it did for the wide open aperture setting with the M lens) and you can focus and shoot at any aperture setting WITHOUT having to use the Green button. In M mode the lens will work the same as M mode with an M lens (above).

I hope this helps
03-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #2280

manual lenses

Thank you. This does help. I have no A on my camera and now more fully understand the value of the "green button".
Is there a place to learn what all the numbers on the dials of these lenses mean, especially the middle (fixed) dial. I realize the outter dial is distance and the inner dial is aperature. And there are many more numbers on the zoom/macro lense. Sure wish I had manuals for these lenses... That may be the place to learn about them.