Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #2461
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Regentag Quote
Got my M85 yesterday and did a walk in the village with it instantly

M85@f/2

@f/2.8 or f/3.2?

And @f/8 at the MFD - 50% Crop!

I use the Metal Takumar 135/150/200 Hood with the lens, luvly Setup even though the Optic is kind of dusty and has some cleaning marks at the front, but that didn't bother me to much.
Looks like that 85 is working out well for you so far

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Regentag - that 85 looks like a good one! I need to build up my M collection - I only have two, both of them 50s. Here's one from my M50/1.7: (xposted from bokeh thread)
This lens has good bokeh, many old lenses have very harsh bokeh.

04-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #2462
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Nice shooting going on in here!

QuoteOriginally posted by davinci Quote

@jsherman999
Your photos colours are so vivid, what custom image settings do you have?
I think every shot you see in this thread from me are in-camera jpegs (K20D) shot in 'bright' mode, +2 fine sharpness. You can get that same look by shooting raw, and boosting the contrast, sharpness, and maybe a little saturation up from the baseline. But don't do it too much, and remember that what looks good on one monitor may not look good on another.

I often recommend that folks shoot jpeg + raw when starting out, and then work on your PP until your raw conversions at least match the jpeg output.

You're off to a good start, btw!

QuoteOriginally posted by Regentag Quote
Got my M85 yesterday and did a walk in the village with it instantly

M85@f/2

@f/2.8 or f/3.2?

And @f/8 at the MFD - 50% Crop!

I use the Metal Takumar 135/150/200 Hood with the lens, luvly Setup even though the Optic is kind of dusty and has some cleaning marks at the front, but that didn't bother me to much.
Very nice! Isn't that a great lens?

04-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #2463
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaniRo Quote
one from my 135mm 3.5

my wife

Great shot.
04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #2464
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50 f/1.4 at f/2

K-7, ISO400. I toned down the orange of the sodium arc lamp a little bit, but left most of it for effect.

Last edited by Designosophy; 04-05-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: additional information
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #2465
Forum Member

Thanks Guys!
The M85 is a great lens and it works for me faster then any other lens I tested so far. Love at first sight

Nice lightning @ Designosophy
@jsherman: I should shoot jpegs to see what the camera can do, good info.

Some from my M 24-35/3.5@f/4 or 5.6

@f/3.5 ISO 400

@f/8
04-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #2466
Veteran Member

Some concert shots from the M120/2.8:

04-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #2467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shoots and good image quality, Marc, but personally I feel there was more "situational presence" in your 105mm sets. The tighter FoV of the 120 seems to focus more on the individual person and I loose some of the peripheral "music-ness" the wider lens captures.

From your earlier groups, I prefer the 105 for settings and the 135 for selective detail with the 120 coming in as a comparative compromise as presented in this particular setting. That ranking could certainly change with the venue though.

H2

04-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #2468
Veteran Member

Good observations. It also varies with the stage setup and my own vantage point, though.

For me, the first shot of the bassist above, and the second shot of him messing around on guitar between sets, both are pretty much exactly what I'd want. I actually think the 120 provided better framing than the 100 or 135 would have for those two shots, from the location I was shooting from, although of course that's subjective.

The other three are tighter than I'd normally go for. But two of those were shot from *on stage*, because the way the place was configured that night, that was my only good vantage point. I don't normally choose to shoot from there, but music stands were awkwardly placed for shooting from my usual spots in the house, and a temporary dance floor took much of what otherwise would have been prime shooting territory. Luckily, there was no pianist in the band (meaning there was room on stage), and the bandleader is a good friend of mine (even if he is a Nikon guy!), so I squeezed on stage - kind of a special situation. I would have been better shooting with my 70 in that setting - and I did take a few shots with it - but I wanted to really give the 120 a workout. Similarly, the last shot was taken from directly in front of the stage, which was one of the few places I could get a clear shot of that guitarist without a stand in the way, and I have what are probably more successful shots from there with my 70 as well.

So, good call in pointing out that the 120 really wasn't the right tool for some of these shots, but I'm not concerned - I kind of did that deliberately. Even so, I do like that the 120 made some shots possible that the 135 would have been even more awkward for, which was something I was hoping for.
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #2469
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax M 400/5.6

I haven't been able to get out shooting for a while but today was just too good to pass up. As Usual I took the M 400/5.6, K10 and monopod along for the ride. Here's one of a cooperative Robin. They've been away for quite a while and we're glad to have them back in S. Ontario.

Tom G
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #2470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I haven't been able to get out shooting for a while but today was just too good to pass up. As Usual I took the M 400/5.6, K10 and monopod along for the ride. Here's one of a cooperative Robin. They've been away for quite a while and we're glad to have them back in S. Ontario.

Tom G
Stunning robin shot! And hard to beat those K10D colors.
04-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #2471
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Stunning robin shot! And hard to beat those K10D colors.
Thank you Paul,

The K10 is a good camera but I think the M series glass as a group have a blue colour that is unique in its own right. It probably has something to do with the SMC coating which was applied to this generation of lenses. You can see it in many of the images in this thread.

Tom G
04-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #2472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Paul,

The K10 is a good camera but I think the M series glass as a group have a blue colour that is unique in its own right. It probably has something to do with the SMC coating which was applied to this generation of lenses. You can see it in many of the images in this thread.

Tom G
You may be right. The M's do have a certain look about them that's different from your Vivitars, Taks, etc, that I've never been able to pinpoint. It may be the blue cast from the SMC coating. At any rate your robin shot to me has very neutral & accurate colors.
04-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #2473
Veteran Member

The M series has a Robin's Egg blue cast which is most apparent in the rendering of the sky. To my eye this is where the M series really shines. In any case, as Jay noted when this thread began a million posts ago, the M series lenses are very good and probably underrated. So much the better for those of us who recognize how good they can be with a little time and effort.

Tom G
04-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #2474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The M series has a Robin's Egg blue cast which is most apparent in the rendering of the sky. To my eye this is where the M series really shines. In any case, as Jay noted when this thread began a million posts ago, the M series lenses are very good and probably underrated. So much the better for those of us who recognize how good they can be with a little time and effort.

Tom G
I remember when I first bought my M 28/3.5 taking a scenic and being told that it looked as if I had used a polarizer. They don't take all that much time and effort, at least for those of us who owned cameras back when none of them used batteries.
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #2475
Forum Member

Here are some photoshoots with my buddies. Untouched =X

Edit: Taken with the 50mm 1.4