Details

04-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #2507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
M 28/2.8

Details
Rick - that breathtaking vista really shows off the strengths of the M28. (nice shot )
04-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #2508
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Rick - that breathtaking vista really shows off the strengths of the M28. (nice shot )
Thanks Paul!!!
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #2509
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M50/1.4

04-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #2510
Pentaxian

Here are a couple from a walkabout yesterday in Segovia. I started with the M28/3.5 (which produced these images) and Iīm starting to have mixed feelings about this lens. While itīs fantastically sharp wide open, it suffers from the same as the f/2.8 version I got it to replace - it leaves images dull & lifeless & requiring PP to perk them up. None of my other lenses suffer from this, just the 28s. Does anyone else get the same from the Pentax 28s?

These two I PPīd more than usual to get them to be acceptable.

04-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #2511
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here are a couple from a walkabout yesterday in Segovia. I started with the M28/3.5 (which produced these images) and Iīm starting to have mixed feelings about this lens. While itīs fantastically sharp wide open, it suffers from the same as the f/2.8 version I got it to replace - it leaves images dull & lifeless & requiring PP to perk them up. None of my other lenses suffer from this, just the 28s. Does anyone else get the same from the Pentax 28s?

Can't say I have that problem, all of the images below are from the 28/2.8, I'm pretty happy with the lens.

From the first day I started using manual lenses, when I saw this I was hooked!!!

Indoor, Low Lighting...

Overcast...

Pentax-M Lenses

Last edited by theunartist; 04-20-2011 at 04:56 AM.
04-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #2512
Inactive Account

This one is from a few minutes ago. I PP from a JPEG using Faststone, I did not do anything different on this image that I would not do on any other image... (I did notice I had WB set on Daylight when in fact I was indoors but right next to a window)

Details

04-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #2513
Pentaxian

Couple shots inside the Time Square Hong Kong.

M50/f1.4

04-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #2514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never had this sort of problem with my M 28/3.5 - if anything it produced images with depth greater than other lenses in my bag when the sky was included. The coatings are ever so slightly different with each generation of lenses, so I do a post processing white balance touch up on virtually every image I take. I leave the camera on AWB and shoot RAW so no image actually has a perfect white balance straight out of the camera, but the RAW image is untouched so it doesn't matter.

If you are not yet shooting RAW with the in camera jpeg settings at 0 so the LCD display is close, give it a try. My normal kit is the three DA* lenses and two M lenses in my signature. I don't make any special adjustments when I switch from a DA* to an M lens, other than switching the exposure mode to USER so that the camera goes into manual exposure at ISO 100 - my starting values for the M lenses.
04-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #2515
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The M28 /2.8 is the only lens I shoot regularly that does not have an integrated hood. When I don't bother to attach a hood, I find it doesn't take much to get a noticeable loss in contrast. So I try not to shoot it hoodless, especially outdoors. The hood from my DA70 (in collapsed state) works perfectly, it turns out - far better than any other hood I tried (and I tried several).
04-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #2516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The M28 /2.8 is the only lens I shoot regularly that does not have an integrated hood. When I don't bother to attach a hood, I find it doesn't take much to get a noticeable loss in contrast. So I try not to shoot it hoodless, especially outdoors. The hood from my DA70 (in collapsed state) works perfectly, it turns out - far better than any other hood I tried (and I tried several).
Marc, that is an excellent point that I overlooked. If you want to select the absolutely best hood, find the hood for the focal length that would give the same field of view on a 35 mm film camera. (28 x 1.4) = 39 mm. From your note, I suspect that collapsed the 70mm hood comes out at about that length. Hoods are all about keeping as much light out of the lens as you can without vignetting.
04-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #2517
Pentaxian

Another one from the Segovia plaza de toros. With the 28mm/3.5 wide open.

04-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #2518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With respect to hoods and the comments by Marc and Canadian Rockies, what I have found myself doing lately, (more with my taks than k mounts but the idea is the same) is to step my hoods down in focal length.

I use the hood from the 135 F3.5 on my 50F1.4 for example (taks here both 49mm filter, but so are the M's)

this gives much better protection.

I also have used a program (spreadsheet application) called HoodCalc to calculate the exact size of the hood needed.

I am considering making custom, slide over extenders for the standard hoods, and using the calculations from hoodcalc with modification to make tulip hoods for my lenses to het the best possible.

I will caution anyone who tries to use hoodcalc, that when it asks for lens diameter, this is the diameter of the front glass, not the filter, and hood length is from the centerline of the front element not the top of the filter ring.

I have not yet seen any need for a hood on my newly aquired M35F2, or played enough to see where I need one, so I am a little undecided as to what hood to put on it.
04-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #2519
Inactive Account

M 28/2.8

Pentax-M Lenses
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #2520
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
With respect to hoods and the comments by Marc and Canadian Rockies, what I have found myself doing lately, (more with my taks than k mounts but the idea is the same) is to step my hoods down in focal length.

I use the hood from the 135 F3.5 on my 50F1.4 for example (taks here both 49mm filter, but so are the M's)

this gives much better protection.

I also have used a program (spreadsheet application) called HoodCalc to calculate the exact size of the hood needed.

I am considering making custom, slide over extenders for the standard hoods, and using the calculations from hoodcalc with modification to make tulip hoods for my lenses to het the best possible.

I will caution anyone who tries to use hoodcalc, that when it asks for lens diameter, this is the diameter of the front glass, not the filter, and hood length is from the centerline of the front element not the top of the filter ring.

I have not yet seen any need for a hood on my newly aquired M35F2, or played enough to see where I need one, so I am a little undecided as to what hood to put on it.
I use about a 2in generic 'telephoto' hood on my M50/1.4, and find it increases IQ drastically in some situations. In fact, I have just bought a generic hood for the K24/2.8 as I have noticed a reduction in contrast in some outdoor situations. I also always use the standard hood on the kit 18-55, and think this contributes to my favourable impression of this cheapo lens...