Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #3046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need some help guys.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a fast 85mm, and today came across a M 85mm F2. If I told you blades were clean, but the aperture wasn't super snappy, the front element was in "fair" or worse condition, and a large 2mm piece of dust is visible at 7 o'clock position half way between center and the outer circumferance. What do you think a market price for that piece of gear would be? I've been following E-bay and some other web classifieds and would expect a good condition lens to sell between $350 -$ 450 Cdn depending on case/caps/ etc. Our own marketplace and lens review section puts the lens closer to $200 USD.

Its a rare lens to come across in a shop, and even supply of that focal length on EBay is spotty but the condition is Fair at best - So I thought I'd throw it out there. What would you pay for it?

01-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #3047
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I need some help guys.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a fast 85mm, and today came across a M 85mm F2. If I told you blades were clean, but the aperture wasn't super snappy, the front element was in "fair" or worse condition, and a large 2mm piece of dust is visible at 7 o'clock position half way between center and the outer circumferance. What do you think a market price for that piece of gear would be? I've been following E-bay and some other web classifieds and would expect a good condition lens to sell between $350 -$ 450 Cdn depending on case/caps/ etc. Our own marketplace and lens review section puts the lens closer to $200 USD.

Its a rare lens to come across in a shop, and even supply of that focal length on EBay is spotty but the condition is Fair at best - So I thought I'd throw it out there. What would you pay for it?
I love my Rokinon 85 f/1.4. I'd go for one of those new (or Bower, Samyang, Vivitar) for $269 before I'd go for an ugly M85 f/2 at $200. Maybe if it were $150... It sounds like it needs a CLA, and that won't help with scratches on the front element.
01-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #3048
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I paid around $224 USD for mine. However, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a lens in that condition. I think you'd probably be better off having it repaired, then selling it. Also, what wrong with the front element? If it's the lens coating, that would make me want the lens even less. Which is a shame, since it's a wonderful lens.
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #3049
Veteran Member

Actually, would you consider keeping it? It probably has a pretty different character from anything I see in your massive lens collection.

01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #3050
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have it, but was considering negotiating the price because as it is stickered right now, I would not pay. I've been waffling on the Rokinon 85 1.4 because I like the build quality of those old primes - there is certain benefit to that A setting though. Very good suggestion Mike.
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #3051
Inactive Account

FYI - here's one from KEH: Pentax Manual Focus 85 F2 SMC M (49) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #3052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Cheers, thanks - I don't normally look at KEH

01-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #3053
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote

I have a lens (K series) with similar behavior to what you've described: blades clean yet not snappy. It's in the shop now, and turned out to be a mechanical problem with the diaphragm. The tech at the shop hasn't been able to get a needed part for the repair, so I may return the lens (it came from this shop). I have no idea what's affecting the lens you found, but if it isn't oil on the blades it might be tricky.

Front element fair or worse really knocks it down in my book. If I really wanted an M85 I might be willing to take a chance on what you've described for $120 or less, depending on just what you mean about the front element. I'd then plan to send it to my local tech or to Eric to see if a CLA and some work on the diaphragm could bring it up to snuff, but also taking the risk that it could be a total dud.

Average price on the forum marketplace is weighted by the lower prices you could get a couple of years ago, plus the usual rare bargains.

Re the M85 on KEH, it's been there for a little while now; every time I see the listing I am tempted. But I don't really need an 85.
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #3054
Veteran Member

Does anyone have a review of the "ROKINON 85mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Lens" or is it much better to get a 85 M 2f?
01-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #3055

Pentax-fit 85mm shoot-out!

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Does anyone have a review of the "ROKINON 85mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Lens" or is it much better to get a 85 M 2f?
There is an extremely detailed, two part comparison of seven 85mm Pentax-fit lenses, including the Samyang which, branding apart, is identical to the Rokinon, here Test_85mm. The fact that it is written in French should not deter any non-French speaker as the many and varied test images speak for themselves. As the author notes in his closing paragraph, the very real and pleasant surprise to emerge from the test is that the Samyang, whilst not perfect, is a very fine lens indeed and represents exceptional value for money.

Hope this helps.

Jon
01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #3056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great review. Sounds like the author is making a case for FA* to kit production again. I have to say when I found the M 85 F2, I was shocked at how small it was.
01-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #3057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I purchased the Rokinon 85/1.4 because it had the A, and th camera could communicate with it. Especially becasue I can use the AF360FT and other Pentax flashes. I use it for weddings, or parties where the close up is needed and it is indoors. I also have the Supretakumar 85mm f1.9 that is probably a bit better, but does not support the flash. If you are interested in my Rokinon, email me. I already used it in my sons wedding and do not have anyother commitment pending.
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #3058
Veteran Member

hmm your Rok 85 1.4 may hit the market?? I really wish there was a way to get an aperture reason by shorting some contacts together.. even if the aperture is a lie and you have to manually adjust it.. to be able to use my Metz 58 AF2 with my M50 1.7 sure would be nice!
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #3059
Veteran Member

The Rok 85mm is next on my list...
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #3060
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Really like these, Rick. What is the arch you're shooting under?
Thanks Paul! That's an overpass in the city, can't really call it a bridge (but it is a 4+ lane overpass); the morning after our 1st snow/freezing rain of this winter, hopefully the last...

K10D + Pentax M150/3.5 from the street level of this overpass/bridge looking back...