Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #3061
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
I really want to get the M 85 on my set-up, but unfortunately it's just too pricey that I can't seem to justify it. should I just stick with my plan and get the DA 50-135*? or still aim for the M85. maann If only I had the money to get all those sweet primes that I want /:

01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #3062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,853
Just scored an M35-70 2.8-3.5 today I'm happy!
Shot with an *istD - No pp except crop/resize
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #3063
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,367
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I really want to get the M 85 on my set-up, but unfortunately it's just too pricey that I can't seem to justify it. should I just stick with my plan and get the DA 50-135*? or still aim for the M85. maann If only I had the money to get all those sweet primes that I want /:
The M85 is a superb lens, especially at f/2.8, I'd highly recommend it. All 85mm lenses in a K mount are expensive though, because they're fairly rare. The 50-135 is supposedly very good too.
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #3064
Veteran Member
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
I don't understand. You can't justify the price of an M85/2 for around $300, so you're thinking of settling on a 50-135 that costs almost three times as much?

01-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #3065
Veteran Member
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Opinions on M 35/2? How does it stack up against da35/2.4?
I've never seen a direct comparison, but the M35/2 was never particularly well regarded optically in comparisons against other M series lenses. Still, until the DA35/2.4 came out, I always thought the M35/2 looked interesting anyhow, as it was the cheapest fast normal one could get for APS-C. But given that these go for basically the same price, I can't imagine there being much advantage to the M unless you just want the all metal build and smooth focus ring and are willing to give up all automation for it, or need FF coverage.
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #3066
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,678
I think he's getting the M85 mixed up with the FA* 85 1.4
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #3067
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,356
My M85 f2 has been my favorite lens for a while, but I'm starting to worry about it. I've been having a lot of trouble manually focusing it lately. I haven't done testing to identify the issue yet. I took this photo yesterday, and it is nowhere near as sharp as I would like it to be. This is a shame, since I like the exposure. The other thing is that it was a 30-second exposure, and I had two ND filters on the lens (ND3 and ND9). So there are quite a few factors that could lead to a lack of sharpness.

I'm going to try to go out today to test all of my lenses using live view + magnification on my K20D. I hope there is nothing wrong with them.



01-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #3068
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
My M85 f2 has been my favorite lens for a while, but I'm starting to worry about it. I've been having a lot of trouble manually focusing it lately. I haven't done testing to identify the issue yet. I took this photo yesterday, and it is nowhere near as sharp as I would like it to be. This is a shame, since I like the exposure. The other thing is that it was a 30-second exposure, and I had two ND filters on the lens (ND3 and ND9). So there are quite a few factors that could lead to a lack of sharpness.

I'm going to try to go out today to test all of my lenses using live view + magnification on my K20D. I hope there is nothing wrong with them.
could be haze on the lens? the only thing that is worrisome on the M85 is the color blooming. sharpness, color rendering, black and white and resolution are lovable aspects of the M85.
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3069
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't understand. You can't justify the price of an M85/2 for around $300, so you're thinking of settling on a 50-135 that costs almost three times as much?
Yes sir, indeed. I know that the M 85 is a wonderful lens, and I really want one. The price for a not minty copy is 300 - 400, while the arguably 5 star, weather sealed, plastic, huge, more versatile focal length, fast enough, safe to say "pro" DA* 50 -135 can be had for around 600 - 700 "excellent condition". No wonder I'm having trouble...
01-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #3070
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Yes sir, indeed. I know that the M 85 is a wonderful lens, and I really want one. The price for a not minty copy is 300 - 400, while the arguably 5 star, weather sealed, plastic, huge, more versatile focal length, fast enough, safe to say "pro" DA* 50 -135 can be had for around 600 - 700 "excellent condition". No wonder I'm having trouble...
300-400 for an M85/2 is way too high. At $200 you should be able to get one in very good - excellent condition. You don't see many of those for sure so be patient.

I have two copies of it and paid in average $150 2 years ago. Yes, prices have gone up since but still not at 300-400 range.
01-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #3071
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
300-400 for an M85/2 is way too high. At $200 you should be able to get one in very good - excellent condition. You don't see many of those for sure so be patient.

I have two copies of it and paid in average $150 2 years ago. Yes, prices have gone up since but still not at 300-400 range.
I think it would be difficult to get something of a deal for legacy lenses nowadays especially that mirrorless cameras make them possible to be adapted and compatible. long gone are the days where you can get one easily for $150.
01-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #3072
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,678
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
300-400 for an M85/2 is way too high. At $200 you should be able to get one in very good - excellent condition. You don't see many of those for sure so be patient.

I have two copies of it and paid in average $150 2 years ago. Yes, prices have gone up since but still not at 300-400 range.
That must mean he's willing to take $200 for one of his copies?
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3073
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Just scored an M35-70 2.8-3.5 today I'm happy!
Shot with an *istD - No pp except crop/resize
Nice one Paul... and I'll bet that it's really portable, which is why I'm liking the M's recently. You've got it covered from 35 - 150...

Kx + Pentax M 135/3.5 just this side of a 100% crop
01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #3074
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
That must mean he's willing to take $200 for one of his copies?
Yeah. what say you ducdao?
01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #3075
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,853
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Nice one Paul... and I'll bet that it's really portable, which is why I'm liking the M's recently. You've got it covered from 35 - 150...

Kx + Pentax M 135/3.5 just this side of a 100% crop
Thanks Rick, nice shot yourself! I wouldn't call the M35-70 portable, it's a good-sized, heavy lens (takes 58mm filters). Fully extended @35mm it's fairly long, too. But it's like the little brother to the 75-150 - similar characteristics. Sharp from wide-open onwards, with beautiful color & contrast. Also like the 75-150, its not a close-focuser. But it's like having 2 or 3 M-primes in one & 2.8 is fast enough for a lot of things. Yeah, I wish it was the size of an F35-70, but I'm really happy with the IQ .

Last edited by paulh; 01-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, background, bokeh, camera, city, colours, contrast, dust, elpolodiablo, flickr, focus, hood, k-5, lens, lenses, light, m50/1.4, park, pentax, pentax lens, photo, picture, pm, post, pp, ps, shot, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The F Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 1060 3 Hours Ago 08:58 AM
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 3824 5 Days Ago 11:04 PM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 640 11-29-2021 05:43 AM
Ltd club, here I come axl Lens Clubs 21 12-12-2010 03:06 AM
In the club again metroeloise Post Your Photos! 4 10-20-2008 08:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top