07-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #4457
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M28 f2.8

07-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #4458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
M28 f2.8

You have a real mastery of B&W photography seldom seen today. Very good work. I'd like to see more.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #4459
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M50 f/1.4 wide-open

07-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #4460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
M 85
Lovely portrait. The M85 is a little gem, IMHO. Could you burn her arm in a little? It detracts a bit from an otherwise lovely image.

---------- Post added 07-20-14 at 08:36 PM ----------

M28 f2.8

Super images, especially the first one. Do you think just trimming a sliver off the top of it to loose the cross beam might work?

Best wishes, Kris.
07-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #4461
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is probably not the right thread for this question, but here goes anyway:

Shooting with 50mm Pentax-M lens, 1:1.7, on my K-5. When I use the camera to focus, it's miles out. (Well not miles, but you know what I mean) The only way I can get any attempt at focus, is if I use LiveView and zoom in and focus with my eyes.
When I turn my K-5 on, after mounting the 50mm lens, it asks me to enter the mm. I've tried it at 50mm and I've tried it at 75mm and I've tried it at 85mm to try to compensate for the crop factor (don't know if I'm supposed to or not!) but, no matter what I do, 50mm, 75mm or 85mm setting, the lens will not focus using the camera's focusing abilities. Any shot taken relying on "where" the camera says it's seeing focus is wildly out. Clearly, the camera can focus because it has no problem with the autofocus lenses. But, with this lens - it's crazy.

What am I doing wrong?
07-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #4462
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Shooting with 50mm Pentax-M lens, 1:1.7, on my K-5. When I use the camera to focus, it's miles out. (Well not miles, but you know what I mean) The only way I can get any attempt at focus, is if I use LiveView and zoom in and focus with my eyes.
When I turn my K-5 on, after mounting the 50mm lens, it asks me to enter the mm. I've tried it at 50mm and I've tried it at 75mm and I've tried it at 85mm to try to compensate for the crop factor (don't know if I'm supposed to or not!) but, no matter what I do, 50mm, 75mm or 85mm setting, the lens will not focus using the camera's focusing abilities. Any shot taken relying on "where" the camera says it's seeing focus is wildly out. Clearly, the camera can focus because it has no problem with the autofocus lenses. But, with this lens - it's crazy.

What am I doing wrong?
The focal length input is for the camera to set appropriate level of SR according to the focal length, , nothing to do with the focus confirmation beep. you should just put in the focal length as printed on the lens(in your case 50MM),

The factory focusing screen is not the best for manual focus anyway, if you only do manual focusing you may as well get an after market focusing screen, I've also heard story from others about the focus confirmation beep not being accurate on their camera, you can always send your camera in for calibration. I guess I am lucky my K-5IIs and K-30 are both bang on.

07-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #4463
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The focal length input is for the camera to set appropriate level of SR according to the focal length, , nothing to do with the focus confirmation beep. you should just put in the focal length as printed on the lens(in your case 50MM),

The factory focusing screen is not the best for manual focus anyway, if you only do manual focusing you may as well get an after market focusing screen, I've also heard story from others about the focus confirmation beep not being accurate on their camera, you can always send your camera in for calibration. I guess I am lucky my K-5IIs and K-30 are both bang on.
Thank you. I seem to struggle with this lens only, with my other manual lenses, less so. I will experiment some more!
07-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #4464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

What am I doing wrong?

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. The focussing screen on the K5 is not very good for manual focussing. Especially for fast lenses due to the fine depth of field.

It was very hit and miss with my M50 f1.4 but less so with my M20 f4. The M20 had a much greater depth of field and therefor accuracy was not as critical.

Following the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-ma...anon-ee-s.html I changed to a Canon screen after the thread first appeared. It's a massive improvement over the Pentax one and, if you are going to use fast manual lenses a must, in my opinion
07-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #4465
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
You probably aren't doing anything wrong. The focussing screen on the K5 is not very good for manual focussing. Especially for fast lenses due to the fine depth of field.

It was very hit and miss with my M50 f1.4 but less so with my M20 f4. The M20 had a much greater depth of field and therefor accuracy was not as critical.

Following the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-ma...anon-ee-s.html I changed to a Canon screen after the thread first appeared. It's a massive improvement over the Pentax one and, if you are going to use fast manual lenses a must, in my opinion
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
07-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #4466
Veteran Member

Pentax M 28mm f2.8, first version:

Summer sunset over wheat field
07-21-2014, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #4467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pentax M 28mm f2.8, first version:

Summer sunset over wheat field
This bucolic scene reminds me of the paintings of the Hudson River School. Very nice, indeed, Na Horuk. Thanks for sharing. You have a great eye for substance and composition.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-23-2014, 09:27 PM - 6 Likes   #4468
Site Supporter

Bokeh with Starburst

The M 50 macro, cross posted in the show us your boheh thread.

I believe it was @F22, to get the starbursts.
07-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #4469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
The M 50 macro, cross posted in the show us your boheh thread.

I believe it was @F22, to get the starbursts.
Magnificent, Shooz! Excellent composition, also. One of those "once in a lifetime" shots. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #4470
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Magnificent, Shooz! Excellent composition, also. One of those "once in a lifetime" shots. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Thanks, taking this shot I discovered an interesting thing about this about this nifty little gem. It's 5 blade aperture can create that 10 ray starburst, as well as those tiny pentagons in the specular highlights further away.

I took a similar shot with my A 100 F4 macro and only got 6 rays from it's 6 bladed aperture and that was at F32.