Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Always fun to see what's going on in the M Club. Those goldfinches don't sit still very long do they Michael?
I've been trying to get a good shot of one all summer. No luck so far. This is my best to date.
Don't these guys know we are focusing manually?

As confession - this image was a product of my K 300...

Tom G
Actually, I strap on my trusty DA 55-300 when hunting illusive and fearsome creatures like the American Goldfinch.
Where I live there's lots of thistle (a favorite food) and Goldfinches are common.
These little guys are really shy, flirty and fast.

My purpose for posting the M 85 F/2.0 capture was to demonstrate AF is not a necessary requirement
for a quick stop action shot and in a pinch, the lens can be more than a portrait, or close-up lens.

Originally, I was after flying insects. I had set the shutter and aperture (DOF) in advance.
When the critter showed, all I did was spin the focus to infinity, snap the view finder to the subject,
and using my best skeet shooting follow through, popped off several frames.

Again, the K20D's exquisite sensor did it's job by giving me some cropping room.
The resulting image (IMHO ) is an honest expression of the bird's natural setting
and normal behavior pattern where I live.

All in all... great sport... and great fun.

08-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M Club

My purpose for posting the M 85 F/2.0 capture was to demonstrate AF is not a necessary requirement
for a quick stop action shot and in a pinch, the lens can be more than a portrait, or close-up lens.

======

I hear you Michael and I agree as a quick look at my signature will confirm. I am a major fan of Pentax K,M and A series manual focus primes. That being said it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a shot of one these little guys with a DA* 300!

Tom G
08-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #438
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SMC-M 135 f/3.5

Great capture with your K 300, Tom. Michael, it's nice to have another m 85
enthusiast here!

Went to the zoo a couple weeks ago with the DA* 50-135 and tammy 70-300 LD Di.
Today, went with the M 135 f/3.5 and S-M-C Takumar 200 f/4.

M 135 3.5, most cropped to some degree, some sharpening in a few:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) through plexiglass

7) this fake geyser is in the bear exhibit for some reason

8)

9)

08-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #439

2 hour walk and my new M 50mm/f1.4.

Ok all I love this new lense!! Worked beauty wide open with my K20D. I found it quite easy once I spent some time ie/focusing. I can't believe how forgiving it is in low light. It was cloudy outside, evening just around sundown as you can tell by the church picture, and I didn't use a tripod. Here are a few unedited photos to share. My centering needs a bit of work, but hey thats what cropping and 14M pixels are for. lol Thanks for looking. All pictures were taken at wide open apature f1.4.

Can you see me in this one? lol

08-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #440

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Great capture with your K 300, Tom. Michael, it's nice to have another m 85
enthusiast here!

Went to the zoo a couple weeks ago with the DA* 50-135 and tammy 70-300 LD Di.
Today, went with the M 135 f/3.5 and S-M-C Takumar 200 f/4.

M 135 3.5, most cropped to some degree, some sharpening in a few:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) through plexiglass

7) this fake geyser is in the bear exhibit for some reason

8)

9)

WOW I do need a 135mm. These are wonderful. Very sharp images!! Well done. I love the one with the little guy and woman at the window at the aquarium. Very nice stuff.
08-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #441
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hopefully that showed up as an image not a link... If so, that is from my old 135 M a few months after I got the K100D. The full sized image looks a lot sharper than this version does. Makes a nice wallpaper on the computers!

Jim
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #442
Veteran Member

M 200 f4 -

Some men at work shots from a conctruction site up the road. Always fun to watch the big machines move the heavy loads. The old M 200 looks pretty sharp!

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-14-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #443

What a deal - I think?

I picked up a 135mm/3.5 from a classified ad in my home town for $60. The lens came in the original box, bag still with silica gel and the strap for the lens case was still in the plastic bag with a staple . The lens itself still has the QC passed sticker on it in perfect, I mean perfect condition. The lens was never used. Does anyone know what a 135mm mint would be worth on ebay?
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #444
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
I picked up a 135mm/3.5 from a classified ad in my home town for $60. The lens came in the original box, bag still with silica gel and the strap for the lens case was still in the plastic bag with a staple . The lens itself still has the QC passed sticker on it in perfect, I mean perfect condition. The lens was never used. Does anyone know what a 135mm mint would be worth on ebay?
This lens is a 2.8 in good shape: Used Pentax | 135/2.8 TAKUMAR KM | B&H Photo Video

Yours is in mint condition, but it's a 3.5, which might affect its value.

I'm no expert on used lens prices, but having bought 2 in the last couple of months, I'd guess that you might be able to get a little more for your 3.5 than what you paid for it.

If it's in mint condition, why not keep it?

Mike
08-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #445
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
This lens is a 2.8 in good shape: Used Pentax | 135/2.8 TAKUMAR KM | B&H Photo Video

Yours is in mint condition, but it's a 3.5, which might affect its value.

I'm no expert on used lens prices, but having bought 2 in the last couple of months, I'd guess that you might be able to get a little more for your 3.5 than what you paid for it.

If it's in mint condition, why not keep it?

Mike

That B&H link shows a Takumar 2.8 K-mount, I believe, which isn't as good as the
M 135 3.5.

I paid $75 for a near-mint M 135 3.5 from a local store, and it didn't have a case, so I'd say you got it for a pretty good price. You could probably unload it for $120 on Ebay if you emphasize it's mint-ness, and have good photos. But I'm with Mike, I'd keep it, the $60 profit you can make isn't worth the IQ you'd leave on the table!

08-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #446
Veteran Member

I'm excited to have a new addition to my collection coming soon - I just won an M100/2.8 on Ebay last night. I was also bidding on an M85/2 on the off-chance it *wouldn't* shoot out of my price range in the last couple of minutes, but of course, no such luck. So I turned my attention to the M100/2.8 that closed half an hour later and was pleasantly surprised to win it at a reasonable price despite the usual flurry of last minute activity.

An 85 would have filled the gap between my 50 and 135 perfectly and probably would have been almost ideal for my style of concert photography in the situations when I'm right in front of the stage. And even if it's quite soft wide open, having the option of f/2 is always nice. But still, I can't see paying $300 for a used MF lens that is considered one of the least sharp primes Pentax has made, when for not *that* much more money I could get the DA70 and not only get better performance but also AF and of course the pancake design, while giving up only half a stop of speed.

As it is, though, I've *loved* the results I've seen posted here and elsewhere from the M100/2.8, and while it might be a bit longer than I'd want in some cases, I'm sure it will be perfect in others. Indeed, I use my 135 way more than I use my 50 as it is, because I seldom find myself right up front. Plus, the M100/2.8 leaves a wonderful DA70-sized gap in my lineup, while not too seriously hindering the process of saving for one. After the 28/2.8, 50/1.7 (since replaced by an "A"), 135/3.5, and 200/4, could this be my last "M"?

Pictures to follow once I get the lens!
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #447

My 135mm/3.5

Mike and djsherman999 :

Thanks for the feedback. Your right for that price difference, I will be keeping the lens for sure.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't worth a bunch more than I payed. If it were, I'd gladly sell it to make a profit to buy another of less quality in excellent ++ condition. But I will be the proud owner of a mint 135mm/3.5 I guess. I'm OK with that lol.

Oh ya, so now I have a 135mm/3.5, 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.4, 50mm/2 and an 80-200 zoom. What else do I need other than the 85mm and maybe a macro.

Thanks guys.
08-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #448
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm excited to have a new addition to my collection coming soon - I just won an M100/2.8 on Ebay last night. I was also bidding on an M85/2 on the off-chance it *wouldn't* shoot out of my price range in the last couple of minutes, but of course, no such luck. So I turned my attention to the M100/2.8 that closed half an hour later and was pleasantly surprised to win it at a reasonable price despite the usual flurry of last minute activity.

An 85 would have filled the gap between my 50 and 135 perfectly and probably would have been almost ideal for my style of concert photography in the situations when I'm right in front of the stage. And even if it's quite soft wide open, having the option of f/2 is always nice. But still, I can't see paying $300 for a used MF lens that is considered one of the least sharp primes Pentax has made, when for not *that* much more money I could get the DA70 and not only get better performance but also AF and of course the pancake design, while giving up only half a stop of speed.

As it is, though, I've *loved* the results I've seen posted here and elsewhere from the M100/2.8, and while it might be a bit longer than I'd want in some cases, I'm sure it will be perfect in others. Indeed, I use my 135 way more than I use my 50 as it is, because I seldom find myself right up front. Plus, the M100/2.8 leaves a wonderful DA70-sized gap in my lineup, while not too seriously hindering the process of saving for one. After the 28/2.8, 50/1.7 (since replaced by an "A"), 135/3.5, and 200/4, could this be my last "M"?

Pictures to follow once I get the lens!

Congrats, Marc!! the M 100 2.8 is my 2nd favorite M now. I'm sure you'll love it as I do.

However, I'm not sure where the M 85's lack-of-sharpness rep began, but I
can tell you definitively that it's undeserved. I think this is a case of something
incorrect getting out there, and then getting repeated until it's assumed to
be true.

Whoever initially rated the M 85 f/2 as soft, or un-sharp, probably either had a
bad copy, or they screwed up their test - it's the sharpest M I've ever shot, and
it's sharper than my M 100 2.8 (or M 200 4, or M 135 3.5...) It's about as sharp
wide-open at f/2 as my M 50 1.4 is at f/2, and f/2 is two stops down on the 50

So, I'm here to tell you, after hundreds of shots with my M 85 f2, that it's the
best M-series telephoto you can buy, and it's probably the sharpest. Anyone
who says it's 'soft' is absolutely, positively, without-any-possibility-of-doubt
100% wrong.

(I'm sure the false rumor will persist, but I have to try to set the record straight )

08-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #449
Veteran Member

The myth of the M 85mm f2

From what I've seen of your results with the M 85mm f2 I would have to agree with you Jay. I think you have debunked this myth conclusively. As to where the myth began I found that the M 85mm gets spanked a little in Stan's Pentax Photography Site.

Stan's Pentax Photography

There is an extensive discussion, as I'm sure you are aware, of the merits of the various Pentax 85mm offerings. There is really only one negative review of the M 85 (George Stanley) in Stan's forum but it may be the source of the apparent lack of love for the M 85. I quote from Stan's site:

"George Stanley - For a short while in the mid-80's, I also tried the SMC Pentax-M 85mm F:2.0 lens. I was quite disappointed with this lens, and got rid of it FAST! Physically, it was nice &small & light-- but decent performance required stop-down to F:5.6.

George Stanley -[again] If you seek a manual K-mount portrait lens in the 85mm--135mm range, all the Pentax lenses (but not K-mount Takumars) are good choices, with two embarrassing exceptions. These exceptions are: The SMC Pentax-M 85mm F:2.0; and the SMC Pentax-A 135mm F:2.8. Both of these lenses are 4-group designs, and are quite mushy when used wide open."

It is possible Mr. Stanley just had a poor copy of this lens. I wonder as well if that amazing sensor on your K20 might be bumping up the resolution on your M85 a notch. In any case I come away from reading Stan's site with the impression that the M 85 is not a bad lens (a little soft at f2) but rather that it pales in comparison to the much more expensive A 85 1.4. From what I have read elsewhere just about every makers 85 mm pales in comparison to the A 85. 1.4. The consensus on Stan's site seems to favour the K 85 1.8 over it as well. Personally, I would be thrilled to get my hands on any of the Pentax 85mm lenses. They all seem to be great performers.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-18-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
08-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #450
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SMC M 85 f/2

Feeling the need to defend the honor of my poor, maligned M 85 f/2 , I
stepped out to take some shots, wide open and otherwise.

First shot below is wide open, more coming as they upload and I get back later.
It's hard to nail focus at f/2 @ 85mm with the shallow DOF at that telephoto
range (& I was in a hurry,) - maybe that's why some think it's 'soft' at f/2.

Here's a crop showing the shallow DOF wide open blurring one part
of the flower. the edges of the flower in the same focal pane as the part of
the bee in focus are also in focus. With better light, I could have stopped this
down to f/5.6 and got the entire bloom in focus:

Last edited by jsherman999; 08-18-2008 at 07:33 PM.