Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #4486
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-M f:4, 200mm lens

I was high bidder for a SMC Pentax f:4, 200mm prime lens today on eBay. I checked the forum reviews prior to bidding on the lens and was very impressed with the very favorable comments on it. I was quite shocked that I got it AND a Pentax winder for $15.50. According to the going price quoted on the forum reviews, this would seem to be quite a bargain. I'm looking forward to receiving it and form my own opinion of it, but in the meantime, do any of you "M Lens" folks have any experience with this particular lens and what is YOUR opinion of it?

Thanks for any replies,
Dewman
SW Idaho

07-30-2014, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4487
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
do any of you "M Lens" folks have any experience with this particular lens and what is YOUR opinion of it? Thanks for any replies, Dewman SW Idaho
I was quite shocked that I got it AND a Pentax winder for $15.50
Hi Dewman, Congratulations for your new toy ... I got my at $18.80 and here is a photo I really liked, so you can judge by yourself:

Then show us your pictures with your new adquisition ...
07-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #4488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
Hi Dewman, Congratulations for your new toy ... I got my at $18.80 and here is a photo I really liked, so you can judge by yourself:

Then show us your pictures with your new adquisition ...
Very nice photo. I'm looking forward to receiving the lens. I hope it is a good one. Lately, my luck hasn't been very good, having received several lenses with haze. I received one today, a Sigma 28mm macro that looks brand new but with horrible haze problems. When my 200mm arrives, I'll take some shots and post them. I hope it's as sharp as yours.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-31-2014, 03:56 AM - 4 Likes   #4489
Veteran Member

Here's my entry for the end of the month with M28 f2.8, saw this light streaming through the train station in Circular Quay, but my word it's hard to get the exposure right.

07-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #4490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Here's my entry for the end of the month with M28 f2.8, saw this light streaming through the train station in Circular Quay, but my word it's hard to get the exposure right.

That lighting gives a real sense of atmosphere - you have succeeded with the exposure. How many bracketing shots did that need? I find it's a case of trial and error (mainly error) with these old lenses. Thank the Lord for digital preview.
07-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #4491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
That lighting gives a real sense of atmosphere - you have succeeded with the exposure. How many bracketing shots did that need? I find it's a case of trial and error (mainly error) with these old lenses. Thank the Lord for digital preview.
Well I didn't use bracketing, but using trial and error I got the exposure close to the one I had in mind, the people on the right I had a lot of problem with, they sometimes block the light so I lose the sharp edge to the bottom left of the image, and there were too many of them in the frame for me taste, but it's Saturday afternoon so what do you expect? it's one of the most touristsy place in Sydney...
07-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #4492
Veteran Member

I love it! As Timo said, it really captures the atmosphere of it all. Good job!

07-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #4493
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
do any of you "M Lens" folks have any experience with this particular lens and what is YOUR opinion of it?
G'day Dewman, I bought this lens 3 years ago to shoot my grandson playing cricket and found it sharp and easy to handle. Those shots are on a drive somewhere??? So I took this shot today. It's fine. Sharp easy to focus using focus peaking @f5.6.This at minimum distance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Peter Anson; 07-31-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added info
08-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #4494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anson Quote
G'day Dewman, I bought this lens 3 years ago to shoot my grandson playing cricket and found it sharp and easy to handle. Those shots are on a drive somewhere??? So I took this shot today. It's fine. Sharp easy to focus using focus peaking @f5.6.This at minimum distance.
Wow, Peter! That is amazingly sharp! I can only hope mine is a good copy. I've been using a 28-200mm Tamron macro focus lens almost exclusively as of late, mostly because it works well for just about every situation I find myself in. But, the 200mm prime will provide me with a new challenge. There's a world of photo opportunites close by. All I've got to do is get off my duff, brave the hot Idaho summer heat and do it!

Thanks for the reply,
Dewman
SW Idaho
08-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #4495
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dewman, I had two copies of this lens. I wasn't too thrilled with the first one... seemed soft even up to f/8, so I sent it to Eric along with some other stuff to have it checked out. Turns out it was delaminating, so I replaced it with another copy which is noticably better. It's still not too hot at f/4, but for as light and small as it is, I don't hesitate to bring it along. I've been meaning to use it with a Raynox, but haven't had the opportunity yet. Anyone else here using the M200 with a Raynox?
08-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #4496
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Dewman, I had two copies of this lens. I wasn't too thrilled with the first one... seemed soft even up to f/8, so I sent it to Eric along with some other stuff to have it checked out. Turns out it was delaminating, so I replaced it with another copy which is noticably better. It's still not too hot at f/4, but for as light and small as it is, I don't hesitate to bring it along. I've been meaning to use it with a Raynox, but haven't had the opportunity yet. Anyone else here using the M200 with a Raynox?
Yep, I hope I get a good copy. My luck hasn't been too good lately, having received two lenses that were total busts. One was in two pieces with NO mount, the other was so hazy, it looked like I was peering through a forest fire! But, such is the pig in a poke world of eBay.
Dewman
SW Idaho
08-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #4497
Veteran Member

I was high bidder for a SMC Pentax f:4, 200mm prime lens today on eBay. I checked the forum reviews prior to bidding on the lens and was very impressed with the very favorable comments on it. I was quite shocked that I got it AND a Pentax winder for $15.50. According to the going price quoted on the forum reviews, this would seem to be quite a bargain. I'm looking forward to receiving it and form my own opinion of it, but in the meantime, do any of you "M Lens" folks have any experience with this particular lens and what is YOUR opinion of it?

Thanks for any replies,
Dewman
SW Idaho
I have one. In general people are often rather snooty about it. But I think it is fine, for what it is. To get best results you have to stop down to the click between f/5.6 and f/8, whatever that is. In the centre, I don't think it is wildly sharper than the various consumer zooms I have used (with the exception of my 55-300 which is pretty bad in all respects). But cheap zooms, in my experience, are always decentred to some degree, whereas the M200, humble though it is, is very consistent across the frame. So I would say that what it lacks in star quality it makes up for with predictability. That matters for landscape or architecture. I dropped mine, so it has a ding in the edge of the retractable hood, but that doesn't seem to have affected the performance. The concrete probably suffered more than the lens. It's quite a chunk of metal - good for hitting muggers with, or banging in tent pegs. So cheap you can't go wrong, lets face it.

Tim

Last edited by timo; 08-02-2014 at 04:06 AM.
08-03-2014, 02:01 PM - 4 Likes   #4498

Today I went to swim with my son, he swimmed and I stand in midle of little stream with tripod and K200d + M80-200 + some extension.
Water was 25°C

08-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #4499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Today I went to swim with my son, he swimmed and I stand in midle of little stream with tripod and K200d + M80-200 + some extension.
Water was 25°C

Killer shots, especially #2! It's sort of a "leading lines" thing, kinda', sorta'. The background bokeh is interesting - and quite nice. The entire capture has a lot going for it. The color on that critter is stunning! The guys on "Counting Cars" would kill for paint like that!

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #4500
Pentaxian

Taken w/M50 Macro probably at f/5.6.