Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8850 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #4966
Veteran Member

I suppose this wasn't a very fair comparison after giving is some more thought. They were shot with different cameras, different ISO's, different shutter speeds and slightly different PPing. So.... Jeez, how on earth could I expect them to be "the same" or even close to it? I guess what I was trying to demonstrate was the remarkable sharpness (at least to my old, tired eyes) of the old $12.00 Vivitar lens as compared to the more expensive, highly thought of Pentax lens. Not that I'm putting down the Pentax lens by any means. I like it a lot, but, as the phrase-de jur goes, "just sayin'....."

02-12-2015, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4967
Veteran Member

M50 1.7 and an electric fan with not quite enough power to blow my hair the way I wanted it to.

02-13-2015, 07:25 AM - 3 Likes   #4968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's throw a M200/4 image into the mix. Something appropriate for Valentines Day.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2015 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Yesterday's Single In shot

M 50/1.4

M/V John B Aird
Don't suppose you want to hear it's 41C here tomorrow do you?
02-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #4969

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
This two pictures are extremely nice, and this lens is superb ... I have also the M50/1.4 and I do not know yet which one is the best ...
thanks Jorgario.appriciated!

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 01:10 AM ----------

I having chance to purchase an used FA31 with good price.I know it famous by the sharpness and bokeh(with a little CA) but still wondering.Can anyone tell me the bokeh of FA31 is better than this or not?
M50mm f1.7

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by khanhtung; 02-13-2015 at 09:11 AM.
02-13-2015, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #4970
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Let's throw a M200/4 image into the mix. Something appropriate for Valentines Day.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2015 at 11:58 PM ----------

Don't suppose you want to hear it's 41C here tomorrow do you?

A great old lens. I must get mine out and use it more! Love those old Pentax manual lenses. Such quality build! Sturdy, built to last for ages!
02-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #4971
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My brohter shooted by K 30 + M50mmf1.4:

The colors and rendering of this lens are just stunning ...
02-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #4972
Veteran Member

My brohter shooted by K 30 + M50mmf1.4:

The colors and rendering of this lens are just stunning ...
I have owned a M50, f:1.4 for almost 50 years.... first a M42 version for my Spotmatic, then switched over to a bayonet mount in the 70's Still have it and it STILL kicks butt! But, I must say, I'm growing more fond of my new DA 50, f:1.8 every day.

Nice photo of your brother.

02-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #4973
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have owned a M50, f:1.4 for almost 50 years.... first a M42 version for my Spotmatic, then switched over to a bayonet mount in the 70's Still have it and it STILL kicks butt! But, I must say, I'm growing more fond of my new DA 50, f:1.8 every day. Nice photo of your brother.
Dewman, how nice is to hear that you've owned two versions of the M50/1.4. I guess you first had the Takumar 50/1.4 and then the K or M copy ... I am pretty happy with my M50/1.4 ... You know, not all of us had the chance to win the DA50/1.8 , ja ja ja .... You must show us some of your pictures !!!
02-13-2015, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #4974
Veteran Member

Dewman, how nice is to hear that you've owned two versions of the M50/1.4. I guess you first had the Takumar 50/1.4 and then the K or M copy ... I am pretty happy with my M50/1.4 ... You know, not all of us had the chance to win the DA50/1.8 , ja ja ja .... You must show us some of your pictures !!!

Yes, my first was indeed the Takumar and my current one is the M version. The DA 50 has taken the place of my f:1.4. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but the sharpness and color saturation of the DA is out of this world! Here's a sample of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:37 PM.
02-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #4975
Veteran Member

Yes, my first was indeed the Takumar and my current one is the M version. The DA 50 has taken the place of my f:1.4. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but the sharpness and color saturation of the DA is out of this world! Here's a sample of what I'm talking about.
That picture is very, very nice and very, very sharp ... It really proves the strenght of the DA ... But you know, I have the DA 35/2.4 and the Takumar 35/2 and I prefer the last ... And my M35/2 is on the road to me ... We'll see. Anyway, your picture is stunning ...

By the way, this is a picture of my daughter taken with M50/1.4

02-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #4976
Veteran Member

That picture is very, very nice and very, very sharp ... It really proves the strenght of the DA ... But you know, I have the DA 35/2.4 and the Takumar 35/2 and I prefer the last ... And my M35/2 is on the road to me ... We'll see. Anyway, your picture is stunning ...

By the way, this is a picture of my daughter taken with M50/1.4

Your daughter is a gorgeous young lady, sir. The image quality produced by your lens is amazing, but then again, it IS a Pentax-M 50mm, f:1.4! It's legendary for a reason, eh? Very nice bokeh and color saturation. How long have you owned it? Have you ever tried using a reversing ring with it? It's capable of producing some amazing macro images, at least 1:1 if not more. Here's a shot I took last summer with mine.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:37 PM.
02-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #4977
Veteran Member

Your daughter is a gorgeous young lady, sir. The image quality produced by your lens is amazing, but then again, it IS a Pentax-M 50mm, f:1.4! It's legendary for a reason, eh? Very nice bokeh and color saturation. How long have you owned it? Have you ever tried using a reversing ring with it? It's capable of producing some amazing macro images, at least 1:1 if not more. Here's a shot I took last summer with mine.
You should be showing us your marvelous pictures more often !! And all the tricks involved in !! I've heard about this reversing but I never had view such a detailled macro photography with the M50/1.4. I will definitely looking for this reversing ring ... and tried to get such a good pictures as yours ..., even if I am quite new in photography. I really started one year and a half, and I owned my M50/1.4 less than a year ... So I don't want to easily replace it even if there are better options like your DA50/1.8 ... And thanks for the compliments to my daughter ...

By the way, a flower shooted with backlight with the legendary, as you said, M50/1.4 (I didn't need to do PP):

02-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #4978
Veteran Member

You should be showing us your marvelous pictures more often !! And all the tricks involved in !! I've heard about this reversing but I never had view such a detailled macro photography with the M50/1.4. I will definitely looking for this reversing ring ... and tried to get such a good pictures as yours ..., even if I am quite new in photography. I really started one year and a half, and I owned my M50/1.4 less than a year ... So I don't want to easily replace it even if there are better options like your DA50/1.8 ... And thanks for the compliments to my daughter ...

By the way, a flower shooted with backlight with the legendary, as you said, M50/1.4 (I didn't need to do PP):

Beautiful shot, Jorgario. Amazing color and sharpness. For a guy who's only been into photography for a year and a half, you're producing some wonderful imagery. Very nice bokeh and your DOF is perfect. Nice composition and lighting, too. Bravo.

Reversing rings can be found on eBay for less than $5.00 and they're quite easy to use. Like all different facets of photography, it will take a little experimentation, but it's pretty simple, actually. I would suggest that you try it on a bright, sunny day. Good luck and please, show us your photos.
02-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #4979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shot, Jorgario. Amazing color and sharpness. For a guy who's only been into photography for a year and a half, you're producing some wonderful imagery. Very nice bokeh and your DOF is perfect. Nice composition and lighting, too. Bravo.

Reversing rings can be found on eBay for less than $5.00 and they're quite easy to use. Like all different facets of photography, it will take a little experimentation, but it's pretty simple, actually. I would suggest that you try it on a bright, sunny day. Good luck and please, show us your photos.
Reversing rings are the best. As a rule of thumb, the magnification (which is fixed - the focusing system does nothing) at the registration distance (mount to sensor) is in inverse proportion to the focal length of the lens.

A 28 mm on full frame (film) example was when a co worker had a dispute with a jeweler who had resized a ring and basically trashed it. She asked if I could help. I mounted the M 28/3.5 reversed on a 49-52 step up with a 52mm reversing ring on my KX (film, guys). Measurements give this rig about 2.1X measured on the slide or print without magnification, a bit more than technically correct because of the extra thickness of the step up ring. We printed an 8x10 showing the gouges he had done. In small debts court she held up the print and the jeweller caved.

The formula works out pretty closely to the ratio of the lens to 55mm. Adding a bit of extension will increase it.

When using reversing rings, you run out of depth of field right away. There isn't any to speak of. This is a rig that needs stands, lights and tripod. To get enough depth of field to show the file marks in the gouges the lens was stopped down to f/22 while using portrait lights at 45° from either side with the ring held in a vise.
02-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #4980
Veteran Member

Thanks Dewman, it is hardly appreciated ...

I will definitely tried those reversing ring, I will be showing my pictures but keep showing us yours, as well ... further I had these extra data:
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Reversing rings are the best. As a rule of thumb, the magnification (which is fixed - the focusing system does nothing) at the registration distance (mount to sensor) is in inverse proportion to the focal length of the lens. A 28 mm on full frame (film) example was when a co worker had a dispute with a jeweler who had resized a ring and basically trashed it. She asked if I could help. I mounted the M 28/3.5 reversed on a 49-52 step up with a 52mm reversing ring on my KX (film, guys). Measurements give this rig about 2.1X measured on the slide or print without magnification, a bit more than technically correct because of the extra thickness of the step up ring. We printed an 8x10 showing the gouges he had done. In small debts court she held up the print and the jeweller caved. The formula works out pretty closely to the ratio of the lens to 55mm. Adding a bit of extension will increase it. When using reversing rings, you run out of depth of field right away. There isn't any to speak of. This is a rig that needs stands, lights and tripod. To get enough depth of field to show the file marks in the gouges the lens was stopped down to f/22 while using portrait lights at 45° from either side with the ring held in a vise.
Thanks to both of you, and coming down to earth, I just want to post a recently developped picture shooted with M50/1.4: