Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #4981
Veteran Member

Something of a let down.

I guess I got spoiled by the Pentax-A, 70-210mm lens I got this week. It is most likely the SHARPEST lens I now own. Today, my new-to-me Pentax-M 75-150mm lens arrived and I couldn't wait to give it the precursory cleaning and inspection before taking it out for a spin. After taking 17 test shots and downloading them, I was somewhat disappointed. They just don't have the sharpness and saturation I was expecting, especially after reading the glowing reviews on it. I'd definitely give the 70-210 a 10 in almost every category..... but, the 75-150mm? Um.... maybe a 7.5 for sharpness, 7 for saturation and contrast. Funny thing is, I paid $15.00 more for the 75-150mm lens! Oh well, they can't ALL be a "10." But, I sure was expecting more from it.

02-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #4982
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes you just gotta damn the CA and shoot wide open

Pentax-M 50/1.4 @ f/1.4

Last edited by dngr; 02-15-2015 at 05:36 AM.
02-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #4983
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Sometimes you just gotta damn the CA and shoot wide open

Pentax-M 50/1.4 @ f/.4

Um.... wait just a dang minute! What's this about "shooting wide open"? It's a f:1.4 lens.... and you shot the scene at f:4? ;-) Either way, it's one sharp image!
02-15-2015, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #4984
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I guess I got spoiled by the Pentax-A, 70-210mm lens I got this week. It is most likely the SHARPEST lens I now own. Today, my new-to-me Pentax-M 75-150mm lens arrived and I couldn't wait to give it the precursory cleaning and inspection before taking it out for a spin. After taking 17 test shots and downloading them, I was somewhat disappointed. They just don't have the sharpness and saturation I was expecting, especially after reading the glowing reviews on it. I'd definitely give the 70-210 a 10 in almost every category..... but, the 75-150mm? Um.... maybe a 7.5 for sharpness, 7 for saturation and contrast. Funny thing is, I paid $15.00 more for the 75-150mm lens! Oh well, they can't ALL be a "10." But, I sure was expecting more from it.
That sounds highly unlikely from my experiences with both lenses which I own and consider to be solid 9. The SMC-A 70-210 is a fantastic lens with all range and quality optics and 'A' contacts it definitely is more versatile than the 75-150, but the smaller cousin is a fantastic lens on its own merits. I normally use it for places like playground with my kids out - the lens is small and doesn't raise any conspicuousness. Also gives nice range and good distance to the subject so I can stay well back and still get nice frame. Focusing is easy and lens is just sharp with nice colours. I normally give it click down to 5.6 for optimum sharpness and speed, but even wide open is nice. I never run any formal tests but neither had I impression of it being somehow inferior to the big brother ... Maybe your copy has been tinkered with ? With used lenses you never know if there wasn't an attempt to clean it inside and somebody just didn't know how to put it back together ? Or element inside is flipped or with haze ?

Anyway here are two shots with 75-150mm, from last Summer - I got plenty more from few outings with my kids to the playground - they usually came great. Both shots at F5.6 - second shot also presents quite successful attempt to capture him at play - highly unlikely to happen with an autofocus lens in this scenario

Last edited by manntax; 02-16-2015 at 12:57 AM.
02-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #4985
Veteran Member

Um.... wait just a dang minute! What's this about "shooting wide open"? It's a f:1.4 lens.... and you shot the scene at f:4? ;-) Either way, it's one sharp image!
Thanks for spotting that! My 1 key only works when it wants to
02-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #4986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
That sounds highly unlikely from my experiences with both lenses which I own and consider to be solid 9. The SMC-A 70-210 is a fantastic lens with all range and quality optics and 'A' contacts it definitely is more versatile than the 75-150, but the smaller cousin is a fantastic lens on its own merits. I normally use it for places like playground with my kids out - the lens is small and doesn't raise any conspicuousness. Also gives nice range and good distance to the subject so I can stay well back and still get nice frame. Focusing is easy and lens is just sharp with nice colours. I normally give it click down to 5.6 for optimum sharpness and speed, but even wide open is nice. I never run any formal tests but neither had I impression of it being somehow inferior to the big brother ... Maybe your copy has been tinkered with ? With used lenses you never know if there wasn't an attempt to clean it inside and somebody just didn't know how to put it back together ? Or element inside is flipped or with haze ?

Anyway here are two shots with 75-150mm, from last Summer - I got plenty more from few outings with my kids to the playground - they usually came great. Both shots at F5.6 - second shot also presents quite successful attempt to capture him at play - highly unlikely to happy with an autofocus lens in this scenario

Not being satisfied to write the little lens off as being not worthy, I tried some static shots of some photo props on my dining table with the lens/camera on a tripod, using the 2-second delay. As I said in my earlier post, my eyesight is somewhat suspect and I'm happy to report that the secondary test shots came out quite good! The little lens is very critical as to dead-nuts focus, much like my Sears 50mm f:1.7 lens. Some lenses just seem to be more fussy about the focus being EXACTLY right. Either that or it's just my imagination and I simply fail to "get it right" all the time. In any event, I've revised my opinion of the little 75-150mm lens.... somewhat.
02-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #4987

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My humble SMC Pentax-M 35mm f2.8

02-15-2015, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4988

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrooksII Quote
My humble SMC Pentax-M 35mm f2.8
Sorry, here's the photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #4989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-M 35mm f2.8

Here is a detail shot of our Valentine's dinner table setting. It was a nice evening! Taken with Pentax-M 35mm f2.8, K100DS, ISO200, 1/10 sec., wide open.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
02-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #4990
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrooksII Quote
Sorry, here's the photo.
Very nice. It seems as if the wider angled lenses.... 28mm and 35mm.... render greens better than other focal lengths. Maybe it's just me, but that's MY observation.

---------- Post added 02-15-15 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Here is a detail shot of our Valentine's dinner table setting. It was a nice evening! Taken with Pentax-M 35mm f2.8, K100DS, ISO200, 1/10 sec., wide open.
Nice shot, Joe. I like the angle and the very dreamy bokeh.
02-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #4991
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The little lens is very critical as to dead-nuts focus
I recall from my experience with that lens, the above statement to be absolutely correct - indeed it was very easy to miss the focus and the photos would came out soft-ish ... I have fair share of such , otherwise excellent shots. BUT I could say exactly the same about my 70-210 , it has show the same ease at which it can be off. I think this is something to do that many people ( including myself ) are not as often using longer lenses , and our usual focal lenghts are somewhere in 24-55mm range, so sudden jump into 70-150 or 210 range usually will mean more softer shots.
.. just my two pennies worth observation on the subject.
02-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #4992
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I recall from my experience with that lens, the above statement to be absolutely correct - indeed it was very easy to miss the focus and the photos would came out soft-ish ... I have fair share of such , otherwise excellent shots. BUT I could say exactly the same about my 70-210 , it has show the same ease at which it can be off. I think this is something to do that many people ( including myself ) are not as often using longer lenses , and our usual focal lenghts are somewhere in 24-55mm range, so sudden jump into 70-150 or 210 range usually will mean more softer shots.
.. just my two pennies worth observation on the subject.
I'm glad to see that it wasn't my imagination. I always take several shots of the same subject if time allows, re-focusing after each one.... to be sure I get what I want. I have a Tamron 28-200mm lens that is the absolute most forgiving lens I've ever seen when it comes to focusing.... and I know for sure and for certain that it's NOT my imagination. Love that lens.
02-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #4993
Veteran Member

X-posting from the Gearheads thread. Taken with my new-to-me M 28 2.8.

02-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #4994
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Instrument Panel taken with K-x and M20/4 by jasoncdoss, on Flickr
What kind of car?
02-15-2015, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #4995

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Instrument Panel taken with K-x and M20/4 by jasoncdoss, on Flickr
I recognize that dashboard any day.. Woot Abarths!

my own, taken with the M50/1.4 at F4.5: