09-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #5311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work in the machine shop.

09-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #5312
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I recently found and acquired an M 50/1.4 in a shop during my holidays after looking for one in local shops for nearly a year (I know the internet is a thing, but I only want to buy lenses there I'd have no chance finding locally and being able to inspect).

Now, checking out the reviews I don't see anybody reporting anything abnormal about aberrations, and the rating seems fine too, but I have had some pretty bad things happening when using it.

Click image to enlarge

I know this is pretty much the worst possible case scenario, but is it normal? I've had some creeping in 'normal' images too and was just wondering if it's normal. Easy to live with though, I think I don't own a single lens without some trade off, which makes choosing what to use fun!
09-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #5313
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Topsy
Can you please post a copy of the photo with EXIF data intact, i.e. straight out of the camera, with only size reduced to fit here. If I attempt to view the EXIF data for this image, I get nothing.
It's unlikely that members will be bale to diagnose your problem without data. It looks like a combination of movement and overexposure and poor focus, but, again, without the EXIF data it's hard to help.
Kind regards,
09-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #5314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are talking about the purple fringing, shooting into a strong back light will bring out the worst in any lens. I would think it would be easily removed in LR or PS.

09-27-2015, 06:39 PM - 12 Likes   #5315
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some amazing photos here with these old lenses in such talented hands!

A few of my recent M photos (all cross-posted in "Post Your Photos" section)

M 200 f4 as a butterfly lens:

And M 75-150 as a landscape lens:

Need to get out my M24-25 again soon to get some autumn scenes...
09-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #5316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Some amazing photos here with these old lenses in such talented hands!

A few of my recent M photos (all cross-posted in "Post Your Photos" section)

M 200 f4 as a butterfly lens:

And M 75-150 as a landscape lens:

Need to get out my M24-25 again soon to get some autumn scenes...
That LE is killer
09-28-2015, 03:37 AM   #5317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Topsy
Can you please post a copy of the photo with EXIF data intact, i.e. straight out of the camera, with only size reduced to fit here. If I attempt to view the EXIF data for this image, I get nothing.
It's unlikely that members will be bale to diagnose your problem without data. It looks like a combination of movement and overexposure and poor focus, but, again, without the EXIF data it's hard to help.
Kind regards,
Sure, it got lost because I cropped my mother out of the picture as I was being polite and couldn't ask her if she minds her backside being on the internet. :P

Here's a selection, sadly I didn't note the apertures used.. (I really should in future!..)
Sta.sh Uploads 257 - Topsy93's Sta.sh

It seems like the it gets more severe and turns from green to purple when stopping down a bit, which surprises me?
If I get to it I'll re do the test today (with noting the aperture used).

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
If you are talking about the purple fringing, shooting into a strong back light will bring out the worst in any lens. I would think it would be easily removed in LR or PS.
Yes, obviously, but I'm very surprised the result was that bad, I mean I have some lenses that I'd expect to be worse, but they aren't in normal scenarios.. Or I just got extremely lucky shopping up to this one!

Last edited by Topsy; 09-28-2015 at 03:45 AM.
09-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #5318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Topsy, the shift from green to purple is misleading. Wide open, you will get the green/red CA, and it hides the purple fringe. I prefer to use f/8-f/11 with my M lenses to reduce CA and PF to be easily removed in post processing. Bright cloudy exposure is usually about 1/ISO @ f/11 and darker cloudy at f/5.6 or f/8. Seeing your 1/1600" at ISO 400, you were just about wide open. The depth of field appears to support that.

Do you have the menu option to use the aperture enabled and use the green button to stop down and meter? If you don't your M lenses will always be wide open.

Assume f/5.6 @ 1/400 was the correct exposure. 1/1600 would be f/2.8 or thereabouts.
09-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #5319
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Hey guys, I recently found and acquired an M 50/1.4 in a shop during my holidays after looking for one in local shops for nearly a year (I know the internet is a thing, but I only want to buy lenses there I'd have no chance finding locally and being able to inspect).

Now, checking out the reviews I don't see anybody reporting anything abnormal about aberrations, and the rating seems fine too, but I have had some pretty bad things happening when using it.

Click image to enlarge

I know this is pretty much the worst possible case scenario, but is it normal? I've had some creeping in 'normal' images too and was just wondering if it's normal. Easy to live with though, I think I don't own a single lens without some trade off, which makes choosing what to use fun!
I have shot with the M50/1.4 extensively, and I can say that is completely atypical - I'd suggest there is a fault with your lens I'm afraid!
09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #5320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Topsy, the shift from green to purple is misleading. Wide open, you will get the green/red CA, and it hides the purple fringe. I prefer to use f/8-f/11 with my M lenses to reduce CA and PF to be easily removed in post processing. Bright cloudy exposure is usually about 1/ISO @ f/11 and darker cloudy at f/5.6 or f/8. Seeing your 1/1600" at ISO 400, you were just about wide open. The depth of field appears to support that.

Do you have the menu option to use the aperture enabled and use the green button to stop down and meter? If you don't your M lenses will always be wide open.

Assume f/5.6 @ 1/400 was the correct exposure. 1/1600 would be f/2.8 or thereabouts.
Don't read to much into my exposure/iso settings.. I have no clue why I still was using iso400 for instance..

Yep, green button metering is enabled, but for some reason my camera only managed to do it (semi) correctly with my Helios 44k-4 but completely misses the target with the M50/1.4 (and the m42 lenses are even worse!) so I actually always keep eyeballing it

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
I have shot with the M50/1.4 extensively, and I can say that is completely atypical - I'd suggest there is a fault with your lens I'm afraid!
I'm actually quite happy that can't be the average performance of it!
I'll give it a very good inspection then, although I didn't see anything amiss last time.

Quite amusing that I get lucky with all the russian lenses that are known to be a bit of a gamble and then buy a M50/1.4 that seems off hah!
09-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #5321
Veteran Member

Mole, all your photos were nice, but the orange leaf on the rock with the waterfall in the background is postcard perfect!.

Mike
09-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #5322
Pentaxian

Last one for now with the M 35mm f/2.8, this was taken on my Fuji X-M1. Exif says 50mm but it's wrong. Focal length isn't as easy to change on the Fuji as on a Pentax DSLR.

Fountain
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
10-01-2015, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #5323
Veteran Member

M50 1.4 on A7

Still struggling with focus at larger apertures,

10-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #5324
Pentaxian

A few shots against the rising sun in a small park close to my office this morning. Taken on the Fuji X-M1 with Penatx M 50mm f/1.7.

DSCF8756

DSCF8754

DSCF8752
10-02-2015, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5325
Veteran Member

Street shoot with M50 f1.4 on A7