Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #6226
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
Love the pink chairs, Repaap.

08-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #6227
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
M120/2.8

Could not resist any longer. I just had to get 120. It arrived today and I took first test shots with it. You can find full resolution shots from the links below.

f32, f22, f16, f11, f8, f5.6, f4, & f2.8.

Looks good. On the monitor the lens is usable from wide open, thought it gets sharper when stopped down. Sweet spot looks to be from f8 to f11. I think I got what I wanted with 85 and 120.

K5 M120/2.8 @f11
08-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #6228
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,873
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Love the pink chairs, Repaap.
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Could not resist any longer. I just had to get 120. It arrived today and I took first test shots with it. You can find full resolution shots from the links below.

f32, f22, f16, f11, f8, f5.6, f4, & f2.8.

Looks good. On the monitor the lens is usable from wide open, thought it gets sharper when stopped down. Sweet spot looks to be from f8 to f11. I think I got what I wanted with 85 and 120.

K5 M120/2.8 @f11
Kiitos!

Looks like that 120 mm is a keeper!
08-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #6229
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Looks like that 120 mm is a keeper!
Yes, I have that feeling. Knowing myself, it's very likely that I will never sell it. At least as long as there are K mount cameras.

I made an other round of test shots. This time all my M lenses in f8. Only modification to shots is that I cropped disturbing sides away from wider lenses, because my background wasn't wide enough for them. Focus with 50 is bit further back and 300 a bit front compared to others. In both cases the best focus can still be found in the shot, so didn't feel the need to build up the set up again. Links for full resolution shots below:

28/3.5 50/1.7 85/2 100/2.8 120/2.8 200/4 *300/4

To me M series primes are very consistent performers. I like rendition, color, bokeh, etc in all of them. In sharpness 100 and 200 are below the rest of my lenses. Basically in most situations they are sharp enough to be viewed in full screen, but I feel that due to better sharpness others provide better 3D feel to the shots. That's naturally my own, totally unscientific, opinion.

K5 M120/2.8 f8:


08-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #6230
Veteran Member
Jorgario's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San José
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,769
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
K5 M120/2.8 f8:
I see that you finally got the M 120 .... !!! It is funny because you have some specific LB addiction, called I guess MLBA !! By the way, you are producing nice pictures in this thread !!
08-17-2017, 11:03 PM - 5 Likes   #6231
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
I see that you finally got the M 120 .... !!! It is funny because you have some specific LB addiction, called I guess MLBA !! By the way, you are producing nice pictures in this thread !!
Thanks and yes, I have noticed the same. It started after I needed cheapest manual quality glass available to get my K30 running again after ABF last year and fell in love with what I had purchased. Since then things have escalated a bit and for sure I'll be getting at least a few more

Took my new ones out for a walk yesterday. Forgot to turn of the IR remote and lost some shots due to lack of SR with 120. This 5 shot panorama was only decent one that i got out of it.

K5 M120/2.8:


85 tends to PF quite a lot with larger apertures, so I was surprised how well it behaved against the sun with small apertures. Of course had to pull shadows a lot in post to get final image. K30 M85/2:


08-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #6232
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,386
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Thanks and yes, I have noticed the same. It started after I needed cheapest manual quality glass available to get my K30 running again after ABF last year and fell in love with what I had purchased. Since then things have escalated a bit and for sure I'll be getting at least a few more

Took my new ones out for a walk yesterday. Forgot to turn of the IR remote and lost some shots due to lack of SR with 120. This 5 shot panorama was only decent one that i got out of it.

K5 M120/2.8:


85 tends to PF quite a lot with larger apertures, so I was surprised how well it behaved against the sun with small apertures. Of course had to pull shadows a lot in post to get final image. K30 M85/2:

Very nice! What about a family portrait?

08-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #6233
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Very nice! What about a family portrait?
Thanks. I've never really taken family portrait. Well, casual snaps here and there, but nothing with decent lighting (Don't have equipment or knowhow for that). But I guess that as a focal length the 85 would suit better. At least with APS-C cameras. With 120 I have no portraits to show yet. On previous page should be one taken with 85 which I like a lot. IMO 85 draws portraits really nicely, but my opinion is based on limited use and limited experience in portraits in general. And my style is more documentary than fashion.
08-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #6234
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,386
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Thanks. I've never really taken family portrait. Well, casual snaps here and there, but nothing with decent lighting (Don't have equipment or knowhow for that). But I guess that as a focal length the 85 would suit better. At least with APS-C cameras. With 120 I have no portraits to show yet. On previous page should be one taken with 85 which I like a lot. IMO 85 draws portraits really nicely, but my opinion is based on limited use and limited experience in portraits in general. And my style is more documentary than fashion.
Sorry, I may have been too brief. I meant a portrait of the family of M lenses!
08-18-2017, 11:35 AM - 7 Likes   #6235
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,873
Great shots iheiramo

here is couple more with my 75-150







08-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #6236
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Sorry, I may have been too brief. I meant a portrait of the family of M lenses!
Apparently I miss understood

Yes, I get to it at some point.
08-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #6237
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Great shots iheiramo

here is couple more with my 75-150
Thanks, I can say the same about your shots.
08-18-2017, 01:43 PM - 5 Likes   #6238
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,386
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
...

Yes, I get to it at some point.
Looking forward to it!


Tübingen, Germany, November 1979. Pentax MX, smc Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8, Ilford HP5 film/Microphen developer.


08-19-2017, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #6239
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,367
I have never been a huge fan of the M 100mm f/2.8 but I'm away from home at the moment and it's the only fast tele that I have, so I've been "forced" to use it and have found that it's actually pretty good. It lacks a little sharpness wide open but it's not as bad in that respect as I remember.

Still have more to upload but here's one:


IMGP1053a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

And this was with the M 35mm f/2.8


IMGP1057a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
08-21-2017, 02:47 AM   #6240
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,367
M 50mm f/1.7 at f/.28


IMGP1085a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, background, bokeh, camera, city, colours, contrast, dust, elpolodiablo, flickr, focus, hood, k-5, lens, lenses, light, m50/1.4, park, pentax, pentax lens, photo, picture, pm, post, pp, ps, shot, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The F Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 1060 3 Hours Ago 08:58 AM
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 3824 5 Days Ago 11:04 PM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 640 11-29-2021 05:43 AM
Ltd club, here I come axl Lens Clubs 21 12-12-2010 03:06 AM
In the club again metroeloise Post Your Photos! 4 10-20-2008 08:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top