Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #6316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I sure don't hold with those that insist the modern lenses are way, way better. Maybe better flare resistance, purple and CA resistance
Yeah, maybe modern lenses are "better".
It should be like that, after decades of investigation and development.
I´m pretty new in the photography world, bought my first DSLR 4 years ago, the K30. It came with the kit lenses, which I liked a lot.
But soon I bought my first manual lens, an M 50mm f/1.4.
My mind blew with the quality and pleasure to use. I knew there was no turning back.
I then realised that my goal in photography was to have fun instead of getting the perfect picture.
And I don´t have fun with lenses that do all the job by themselves.
Compared with cars, which one would you buy just to have fun, a 1968 Mustang or a 2017 Prius?

10-28-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Compared with cars, which one would you buy just to have fun, a 1968 Mustang or a 2017 Prius?
Of those two, the older, of course. But it I had a couple million, it would be a 1920's Doble Type E I REALLY like torque.
10-29-2017, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #6318
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Yeah, maybe modern lenses are "better".
It should be like that, after decades of investigation and development.
I´m pretty new in the photography world, bought my first DSLR 4 years ago, the K30. It came with the kit lenses, which I liked a lot.
But soon I bought my first manual lens, an M 50mm f/1.4.
My mind blew with the quality and pleasure to use. I knew there was no turning back.
I then realised that my goal in photography was to have fun instead of getting the perfect picture.
And I don´t have fun with lenses that do all the job by themselves.
I have similar experience. I bought K30 with 18-135. At some point I bought DA50/1.8 which became my main lens which I used 95% of the time due to superior IQ. Then came ABF. I acquired M50/1.7 to keep camera working and was blown away by the test shots. In many categories DA50 is better; AF, CA, purple, flare and probably sharpness, but to my taste it doesn't draw as beautifully as M50. To me that make's the old M clearly better lens of the these two.

Modern lenses that equal M50 cost more than I'm willing to pay for the advantages they give over M. As an amateur I can afford to lose a shot every now and then for being too slow on manual gear. At the moment that's true to all my M's. That opinion can, of course, change as my taste, desires, style and needs develop or I suddenly win a lot of money.
10-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #6319
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I have similar experience. I bought K30 with 18-135. At some point I bought DA50/1.8 which became my main lens which I used 95% of the time due to superior IQ. Then came ABF. I acquired M50/1.7 to keep camera working and was blown away by the test shots. In many categories DA50 is better; AF, CA, purple, flare and probably sharpness, but to my taste it doesn't draw as beautifully as M50. To me that make's the old M clearly better lens of the these two.

Modern lenses that equal M50 cost more than I'm willing to pay for the advantages they give over M. As an amateur I can afford to lose a shot every now and then for being too slow on manual gear. At the moment that's true to all my M's. That opinion can, of course, change as my taste, desires, style and needs develop or I suddenly win a lot of money.
What's ABF? Besides Australian Border Force.

10-29-2017, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
What's ABF? Besides Australian Border Force.
Abnormal Bowel Function? I think he means the dreaded and feared Aperture Block Failure that seems to afflict K30 and K50 owners.
10-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #6321
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Abnormal Bowel Function? I think he means the dreaded and feared Aperture Block Failure that seems to afflict K30 and K50 owners.
Just that. When it hits you have 3 options: upgrade, repair or go manual. I thought the last one would be the cheapest choice, but the first M's pulled me deeper into photography, things escalated and I ended up spending a lot more than I thought
10-29-2017, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #6322
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Been bit quiet lately. I was on the holiday and then a bit busy, so took some time to go thru all the shots I had taken.

M35/2:

M50/1.7:

10-30-2017, 03:08 AM - 6 Likes   #6323
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I continue with the long exposure shots.

M120/2.8:

M35/2:

10-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #6324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I continue with the long exposure shots.

M120/2.8:
Nice series
10-31-2017, 05:33 AM - 3 Likes   #6325
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

October Single In Challenge with M35/2

I change the subject in my posting to inform that my SIC with M35/2 is ready. If somebody is interested it's here: SIC 2017 10 Pentax M35/2 | Flickr

I can safely say that M35/2 is among the very best of the series. It's really sharp. Might be the sharpest I have. Definitely never an issue in the shot. And as always in M series nice bokeh with lovely transition, great sense of depth, beautiful colors and stunning rendition. Was there enough praise? I'm stoked about this lens and, due ti versatile focal length, I will use it a lot in the future. Also standard M series problems in CA, purple fringing and flare, if somebody wants to be negative. Quite nicely shaped starbursts, but only 6 pointers. For my taste 8 blades would provide nicer result.

Some good ones I haven't posted yet:

10-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #6326
Pentaxian

I change the subject in my posting to inform that my SIC with M35/2 is ready. If somebody is interested it's here: SIC 2017 10 Pentax M35/2 | Flickr

I can safely say that M35/2 is among the very best of the series. It's really sharp. Might be the sharpest I have. Definitely never an issue in the shot. And as always in M series nice bokeh with lovely transition, great sense of depth, beautiful colors and stunning rendition. Was there enough praise? I'm stoked about this lens and, due ti versatile focal length, I will use it a lot in the future. Also standard M series problems in CA, purple fringing and flare, if somebody wants to be negative. Quite nicely shaped starbursts, but only 6 pointers. For my taste 8 blades would provide nicer result.

Some good ones I haven't posted yet:

Very nice work. The 35mm f/2 is probably my favourite M too. This weekend I'll be heading off to the north-east of Spain for a week and the M 35mm f/2 will be my main lens, so you will shortly have some competition in this thread for showing off what it can do

It was my main lens a year ago for a trip north to Galicia and performed wonderfully. Though not the first time I've gone manual focus for a trip, it did cement the M 35 as my favourite for doing so.
11-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #6327
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice work. The 35mm f/2 is probably my favourite M too. This weekend I'll be heading off to the north-east of Spain for a week and the M 35mm f/2 will be my main lens, so you will shortly have some competition in this thread for showing off what it can do

It was my main lens a year ago for a trip north to Galicia and performed wonderfully. Though not the first time I've gone manual focus for a trip, it did cement the M 35 as my favourite for doing so.
(EDIT: Forgot to say that I can't wait to see your shots )

Well, M*300 has been my favorite and I'm not ready to rule it out yet, but it's hard to use and very often just too long. And compared to other M lenses it's huge and therefore not the most travel friendly option.

The purchases I made in August and September chanced my travel kit almost completely. On trip to Italy in May I had M*300/4, M100/2.8, M50/1.7 & M28/3.5. Only fifty made it to this trip. I had M120/2.8, M85/2, M50/1.7 & M35/2 with me this time and I was really happy with my set. Due to SIC I kept 35 all the time in one body and chanced lenses to other as needed. I believe that's a travel set I will be using for a long time. I add M*300 to it if I go by car or when I know I need the reach it provides. A lot of shots I took with it last summer can be done with M120 a lot easier with results close enough. And I would like to add M20 in kit for ultra wide shots, but it's hard to find.

Back to Crete. This time with sunset.

M120/2.8:

M35/2:

M120/2.8:

M35/2:
11-03-2017, 02:50 AM - 4 Likes   #6328
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was shooting long exposures, that I posted a couple of post earlier, a group of cats came to investigate my gear. I took my second camera and stepped a few yards back.

All shots with M120/2.8. Great lens. For some reason underrated in reviews and rarely mentioned. I think it's the best prime in M series between 100 and 200 mm focal lengths, but about the same market value as other options and therefore absolute bargain. So happy that I bought it.

11-05-2017, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #6329
Pentaxian

Great shots Iheiramo!!

here is couple with my M 75-150

11-05-2017, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #6330
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Great shots Iheiramo!!
Thanks.

-----------

Some landscapes and panoramas from the trip. I believe I shot them all with M35/2.

Panorama with 10 shots in 2 rows:

Panorama with 8 shots: