Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #6571
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
Ok, I've been missing M35/2.8 and there's one on sale and it's the first I've seen in Finland. The problem is that description says that it has sticky aperture. Price is only 30 so condition is taken in to account, but as this is quite inexpensive lens the difference doesn't probably cover the cost of professional repair. I could probably ask for estimate for the price including service, but as they are selling it as is, it's probably going to be too much.

So, does anybody have experience with sticky aperture with M series? Is it fixable at home? Is the aperture mechanism easy to reach? I trust my self with opening and closing screws, but if glueing and/or alignement of lenses is needed it's going to be too much for me. I have adjusted infinity to some of my lenses and it would be nice to learn more basic maintenance works of the lenses, as it might come handy also in future.

05-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #6572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,848
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I love playing around with that lens
That was my first "good glass" after starting out with a couple cheap zooms, and it was an eye opener for me. I have a few other 50s, including the A50/1.7, but I keep coming back to the good old M
05-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #6573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
CharLac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,791
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
That was my first "good glass" after starting out with a couple cheap zooms, and it was an eye opener for me. I have a few other 50s, including the A50/1.7, but I keep coming back to the good old M
My original K1000 came with a 50mm but not the f/1.4. Like you I purchased a couple cheapos (28-80 and an 80-200) that always disappointed me. One day I bought a used box of kit for the camera body and ended up with a Tak 400mm and the M50mm f/1.4. Yes, it was an eye opener.
05-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #6574
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,367
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Ok, I've been missing M35/2.8 and there's one on sale and it's the first I've seen in Finland. The problem is that description says that it has sticky aperture. Price is only 30 so condition is taken in to account, but as this is quite inexpensive lens the difference doesn't probably cover the cost of professional repair. I could probably ask for estimate for the price including service, but as they are selling it as is, it's probably going to be too much.

So, does anybody have experience with sticky aperture with M series? Is it fixable at home? Is the aperture mechanism easy to reach? I trust my self with opening and closing screws, but if glueing and/or alignement of lenses is needed it's going to be too much for me. I have adjusted infinity to some of my lenses and it would be nice to learn more basic maintenance works of the lenses, as it might come handy also in future.
I don't have any repair experience of sticky apertures yet but a helpful forum member recently sent me some instructions on how to fix the sticky aperture on a Vivitar zoom I have, so I think that will be my first try. Every lens is different and I understand that aperture leaves can be tricky to get back into position and you have to be very, very gentle with them.

I understand this is a common problem for this specific lens. I was lucky and my copy doesn't suffer from it. You might want to make an enquiry at some local repair places to see roughly how much they would charge for such work.

05-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #6575
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't have any repair experience of sticky apertures yet but a helpful forum member recently sent me some instructions on how to fix the sticky aperture on a Vivitar zoom I have, so I think that will be my first try.
There are some threads on the forum that indicate that the cleaning shouldn't be too difficult, so I thought to go for it and give it a try. Unfortunally it's already gone. Too bad. Gotta move faster with next opportunity.
05-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #6576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,848
A couple with the M50/1.7 on K-5:



Last edited by paulh; 05-11-2018 at 09:55 AM.
05-11-2018, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #6577
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
Cherry blossom season is here. A bit early this year I think. Went for the evening walk with M120 and M*300 today and took some wide open bokeh shots. Should have put some extension tubes on the 300 to get closer.

M120:




M*300:


05-12-2018, 01:42 PM - 4 Likes   #6578
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
I continue with an other set. Today M50/1.4, M50/2 & M100/4. I cheated with 50/2 and used f4. Others wide open.

M50/2


M100/4


M50/1.4
05-14-2018, 02:52 AM - 6 Likes   #6579
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
One more post to my wide open cherry blossom series. M85/2, M35/2 and M50/4 macro featured below.

M85/2:


M35/2:


M50/4:


I feel like I've shot enough cherry blossoms for this season. Took about 400 shots in total to get the 3-4 good ones per lens. Even with CIF had to use spread and pray to get the right focus.
05-17-2018, 02:14 PM - 5 Likes   #6580
Senior Member
JML69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: FL
Posts: 172
After reading about how the old manual focus lenses were good for "Beginners" (me) wanting to try Astrophotography, I decided to start with the M series 35mm 2:8.

Lot's to learn on this new photography adventure......

K-3ii

05-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #6581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,200
Nice beginning!
05-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #6582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 30
QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
After reading about how the old manual focus lenses were good for "Beginners" (me) wanting to try Astrophotography, I decided to start with the M series 35mm 2:8.

Lot's to learn on this new photography adventure......

K-3ii
Very nice shot...Well done!
05-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #6583
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,464
QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
After reading about how the old manual focus lenses were good for "Beginners" (me) wanting to try Astrophotography, I decided to start with the M series 35mm 2:8.
Good shot, but clearly visible how the PF, which is the weakness of many older lenses, is the problem for this kind of shooting. Unfortunally I'm still missing M35/2.8 so can't give direct comparison, but from the M's I've used M28/2.8 has been the best against PF and flare. Great bonus is that there really ain't much cheaper lenses available. I think this was wide open shot against extreme backlight. There is only slight purplish cast on the right side of the photo, but nothing seriuous PF. Also green on the OOF highlights is minimal. Stopped down I didn't find any PF no matter what I shot.

M28/2.8:
05-18-2018, 08:49 AM - 5 Likes   #6584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,848
A couple from a walk in the woods with the venerable M50/1.7, wide-open on *ist D:



05-20-2018, 06:58 AM - 4 Likes   #6585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Rural Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,510
M 135mm f/3.5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, background, bokeh, camera, city, colours, contrast, dust, elpolodiablo, flickr, focus, hood, k-5, lens, lenses, light, m50/1.4, park, pentax, pentax lens, photo, picture, pm, post, pp, ps, shot, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The F Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 1060 2 Hours Ago 08:58 AM
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 3824 5 Days Ago 11:04 PM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 640 11-29-2021 05:43 AM
Ltd club, here I come axl Lens Clubs 21 12-12-2010 03:06 AM
In the club again metroeloise Post Your Photos! 4 10-20-2008 08:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top