Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8836 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #6856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowjester Quote
Darling Ada and Goofy Faergus, days before Ada passed from old age. It was a rough time doing quick touch ups to this photo, but I’m glad I did... K1000 w/M50 1:4 Macro on Superia 400.
It's tough to lose a loving friend. It's also nice to have fond memories.

08-30-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #6857
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
It is, but the memories I have of her are most fond, and I know we did the best we could for her. She was loved.
08-30-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #6858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
We still miss Lady, the smooth collie, and she passed in 2000 at age 12.
08-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #6859
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We still miss Lady, the smooth collie, and she passed in 2000 at age 12.
Any pics (preferably from an M lens)?

08-31-2018, 12:01 AM - 3 Likes   #6860
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
August Single In Challenge with M28/3.5

I'm done with the month in single in challenge and time to write the wrap up. Full album for anyone interested: SIC 2018 08 Pentax M28/3.5 | Flickr

I was a lazy photographer this month and shot almost nothing else than the shots needed for SIC, as can be seen in my absence in this tread lately. I believe I didn't use any other lens during this month. But I have kept shooting daily and managed to produce something that I'm not ashamed everyday. I also try to put the lens thru a different shooting styles during the month and I'm quite happy with the variation I have produced. As typical a bit tired of the lens by the end of the month and eagerly waiting for the September with M85/2.

This month I shot with M28/3.5 which interestingly has better reviews in PF and is more expensive than faster M28/2.8. I've been wondering the reason for the difference in appreciation, but I'm still lost after shooting a month with both, as I find the 2.8 better of the two. Lenses are pretty similar to use and I don't notice difference in IQ in normal situations. 2.8 triumphs in starbursts and in resistance of flare and PF. Of course it also has that extra step of light. I can't point any clear advantage in 3.5, so for me the winner is clear. If you want to compare yourself the album of 2.8 is here: SIC 2018 03 Pentax M28/2.8 | Flickr

M28/3.5 is a quite compact lens and nice to handle as M's typically are. It's in the gategory of the sharp enough lenses. There are sharper in the series, but it's no issue with 28. Hyperfocal distance is really short, so it's easy to take shots with everything sharp. This is good for landscapes, but also handy for shooting action, if you can get yourself to right distance, As a drawback it's quite hard to squeesh bokeh out of the lens and the quality of it is not the best. Especially if stepped down. Wide open at MFD you can get decent results. I think the 28's are the weakest in my lens gatalogue in this respect.

Overall M28/3.5 is a good and cheap wide angle lens and I used it happily when it was my only wide angle. I got it out of my paggage, when I bought M35/2. More expensive, but better lens in everyway. Final nail for the 3.5 is the 28/2.8, as it provides everything 3.5 does and something special in starbursts and flare resistance, which remain pretty much the only reason why I would go for 28 over 35. So my M28/3.5 shall go back to the shelf to wait for the next round of SIC in full frame mode and most likely I'm ready to sell it after that. In case I sound negative I want to emphasize that M28/3.5 is a good lens despite the fact that I have better.

Highlights from the month:

08-31-2018, 12:21 AM   #6861
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I'm done with the month in single in challenge and time to write the wrap up. Full album for anyone interested: SIC 2018 08 Pentax M28/3.5 | Flickr

I was a lazy photographer this month and shot almost nothing else than the shots needed for SIC, as can be seen in my absence in this tread lately. I believe I didn't use any other lens during this month. But I have kept shooting daily and managed to produce something that I'm not ashamed everyday. I also try to put the lens thru a different shooting styles during the month and I'm quite happy with the variation I have produced. As typical a bit tired of the lens by the end of the month and eagerly waiting for the September with M85/2.

This month I shot with M28/3.5 which interestingly has better reviews in PF and is more expensive than faster M28/2.8. I've been wondering the reason for the difference in appreciation, but I'm still lost after shooting a month with both, as I find the 2.8 better of the two. Lenses are pretty similar to use and I don't notice difference in IQ in normal situations. 2.8 triumphs in starbursts and in resistance of flare and PF. Of course it also has that extra step of light. I can't point any clear advantage in 3.5, so for me the winner is clear. If you want to compare yourself the album of 2.8 is here: SIC 2018 03 Pentax M28/2.8 | Flickr

M28/3.5 is a quite compact lens and nice to handle as M's typically are. It's in the gategory of the sharp enough lenses. There are sharper in the series, but it's no issue with 28. Hyperfocal distance is really short, so it's easy to take shots with everything sharp. This is good for landscapes, but also handy for shooting action, if you can get yourself to right distance, As a drawback it's quite hard to squeesh bokeh out of the lens and the quality of it is not the best. Especially if stepped down. Wide open at MFD you can get decent results. I think the 28's are the weakest in my lens gatalogue in this respect.

Overall M28/3.5 is a good and cheap wide angle lens and I used it happily when it was my only wide angle. I got it out of my paggage, when I bought M35/2. More expensive, but better lens in everyway. Final nail for the 3.5 is the 28/2.8, as it provides everything 3.5 does and something special in starbursts and flare resistance, which remain pretty much the only reason why I would go for 28 over 35. So my M28/3.5 shall go back to the shelf to wait for the next round of SIC in full frame mode and most likely I'm ready to sell it after that. In case I sound negative I want to emphasize that M28/3.5 is a good lens despite the fact that I have better.

Highlights from the month:

Looks like you got some nice results there. I've tried both versions of the 2.8 and two copies of the 3.5 and I preferred the 3.5 because the colour and contrast was much better, but I still regard 28mm as a weak point in Pentax's primes in general, though there are obvious fine exceptions such as the K f/2 and f/3.5, the A /2.8 is very good from f/4 and people say good things about the AF ones.
08-31-2018, 12:34 AM   #6862
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Looks like you got some nice results there. I've tried both versions of the 2.8 and two copies of the 3.5 and I preferred the 3.5 because the colour and contrast was much better
Thanks.

I always adjust color and contrast in PP, so I haven't noticed difference here. Final products look pretty same to me.

08-31-2018, 02:44 AM   #6863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Pix of Lady dog: Wouldn't have been an M lens. We rescued her in 1994, and by that time I had an SF-1 and the M's were gone except for the 400. I just had a quick look through the print albums, and nothing. I have a cubic meter of slides ...
08-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #6864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jan/2016
Pentax K-7, Pentax M75-150

08-31-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #6865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Jan/2016
Pentax K-7, Pentax M75-150
Nice shooting, Charlie!
08-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #6866
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
August Single In Challenge with M28/3.5
Very nice sunset ... !!
08-31-2018, 03:18 PM - 5 Likes   #6867
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a M100mm F4 Macro from a member here in the Marketplace some time ago and finally had a chance to try it out. I've always been interested in macro and this makes me want to try more.

08-31-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #6868
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I bought a M100mm F4 Macro from a member here in the Marketplace some time ago and finally had a chance to try it out. I've always been interested in macro and this makes me want to try more.
If you want to see what one can really do, check iheiramo's posts. He got mine when I upgraded my gear to the FA 100/2.8. He used for single in challenge recently.
09-01-2018, 02:14 AM   #6869
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you want to see what one can really do, check iheiramo's posts. He got mine when I upgraded my gear to the FA 100/2.8. He used for single in challenge recently.
Here's link to the album, if your interested: SIC 2018 06 Pentax M100/4 macro | Flickr
09-02-2018, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #6870
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 and the M 50mm f1.7

Late season tomatoes
by Chuck Campbell, on Flickr