Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 08:29 AM - 8 Likes   #6961
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,444
Couple of stitched shots from today with M50/1.4. First one 21 shots in 3 rows:



Second 27 shots in 3 rows:



10-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #6962
Dan
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 305
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Couple of stitched shots from today with M50/1.4. First one 21 shots in 3 rows:
...
Very impressive job with the stitching. The image must be very impressive at full resolution. The sky and water both create some challenges for seamless stitching. What software did you use?

By the way, I see that you are in Espoo, which gives me an opportunity to use the few words of Finnish that I have learned: Suomi on kaunis maa! (Sorry if I botched that.)

Dan
10-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #6963
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Very impressive job with the stitching. The image must be very impressive at full resolution. The sky and water both create some challenges for seamless stitching. What software did you use?

By the way, I see that you are in Espoo, which gives me an opportunity to use the few words of Finnish that I have learned: Suomi on kaunis maa! (Sorry if I botched that.)

Dan
Thanks, It has it's moments. And it went correctly. Thought I live in Espoo, I'm not there at the moment.. These shots are from Oulu where I'm visiting this week.

I stitch with MS ICE which is free program. I've learned that the more overlay you have on the shots the better the results are. Nowadays I use about half of the view steps when I take shots for stitching. I have also started to downsample the shots before stitching. It makes it faster and seem to produce less errors in stitching.
10-23-2018, 11:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6964
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,342
A couple of shots with the M 35mm f/2


Coast
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


Cogs
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr



10-25-2018, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6965
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,759
IMSA Prototype Porsche 962

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.


10-29-2018, 05:15 PM - 4 Likes   #6966
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,759
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
IMSA Prototype Porsche 962

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.


So I feel bad that I posted this image here in the M club, as I shot the original with a Vivitar lens, and copied the slide with a Pentax A lens. What was I thinking?

So, as penance, here is the same car, originally shot with an M lens.



Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Pentax M40-80mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.
10-29-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #6967
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,882
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So I feel bad that I posted this image here in the M club, as I shot the original with a Vivitar lens, and copied the slide with a Pentax A lens. What was I thinking?

So, as penance, here is the same car, originally shot with an M lens.

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Pentax M40-80mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.
You are forgiven. Nice photo.

10-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #6968
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,759
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
You are forgiven. Nice photo.
Thank you!
10-31-2018, 01:29 AM - 9 Likes   #6969
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter
iheiramo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,444
October Single In Challenge with M50/1.4

I'm done with the SIC month and it's time for my monthly wrap up. I go to November challenge with M120/2.8 and great expectations, as I have thought this to be the best tele between 100mm and 200mm in M series.

The set up for the this month was battle between M50/1.7 and M50/1.4. 1.7 was my first manual vintage lens and it's quolity cought me deeper into photography. Before it I mainly took shots on vacations and other special occasions. After I got it I started taking shots for the sake of shooting and also started to improve my knowledge in defferent aspects of photography. At the beginning of the month I didn't really know the differences between these two as I hadn't shot much with 1.4.

So how do they compare? In my opinion wide open goes for 1.4. It's sharper and has better wide open bokeh. At least when shooting close. I really don't want shoot either wide open to infinity

Stopped down sharpness gets better, but bokeh gets complicated. If there is enough difference between target and background lens privides nice smooth surface. If not, the bokeh gets easily too busy. So much that it's annoyed me much this month. I've ditched a lot of shots for bad bokeh. I find 1.7 much more consistent with its bokeh and therefore better for general shooting.

Rendition from 1.4 reminds me the M85/2. It's more delicate and has less contrast than 1.7. So for portraits 1.4 is better, but once again for general shooting and especially for landscapes I'd go with 1.7. Even more so if the focus is in infinity. 1.7 seems to work there much better. My best landscapes of the month with 1.4 has been taken so that the focus plane is closer than infinity.

1.7 seems to be at it's greatest at f5.6 - f8. I didn't quite grasp similar sweet spot with 1.4 and I used wider set of apertures with it. With 1.7 I tend to put camera on tripod and go for maximum sharpness. I think 1.4 also provides best sharpness at f8, but still I often opted to wider apertures for softer bokeh rendition.

If I didn't know the difference of these lenses in the beginning of the month, I think I have grasped now grasped the difference, but can't still say which one is a better lens. In truth I still think these perform pretty close to each other and one can be happy with either one. I think that, if you want a lens for close up bkeh shots or portrait work, go for 1.4. Else go for 1.7. It's better for landscapes and general shooting. Personally I think I stick to 1.7. I don't do much portraits and I do have M85/2, which is even better then 1.4 in its strengths. All this leaves quite a little use for 1.4 in my quiver. Current feeling is that I might sell it after FF round, but there is always a possibility that second round will chance my mind. I'm also eagerly waiting for December SIC with M50/4 macro which has the potential to steel the spot of fifty in my travel kit from 1.7.

1.4:


f2:




f2.8:


f4:




f8:


11-02-2018, 04:31 AM - 4 Likes   #6970
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,342
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I'm done with the SIC month and it's time for my monthly wrap up. I go to November challenge with M120/2.8 and great expectations, as I have thought this to be the best tele between 100mm and 200mm in M series.

The set up for the this month was battle between M50/1.7 and M50/1.4. 1.7 was my first manual vintage lens and it's quolity cought me deeper into photography. Before it I mainly took shots on vacations and other special occasions. After I got it I started taking shots for the sake of shooting and also started to improve my knowledge in defferent aspects of photography. At the beginning of the month I didn't really know the differences between these two as I hadn't shot much with 1.4.

So how do they compare? In my opinion wide open goes for 1.4. It's sharper and has better wide open bokeh. At least when shooting close. I really don't want shoot either wide open to infinity

Stopped down sharpness gets better, but bokeh gets complicated. If there is enough difference between target and background lens privides nice smooth surface. If not, the bokeh gets easily too busy. So much that it's annoyed me much this month. I've ditched a lot of shots for bad bokeh. I find 1.7 much more consistent with its bokeh and therefore better for general shooting.

Rendition from 1.4 reminds me the M85/2. It's more delicate and has less contrast than 1.7. So for portraits 1.4 is better, but once again for general shooting and especially for landscapes I'd go with 1.7. Even more so if the focus is in infinity. 1.7 seems to work there much better. My best landscapes of the month with 1.4 has been taken so that the focus plane is closer than infinity.

1.7 seems to be at it's greatest at f5.6 - f8. I didn't quite grasp similar sweet spot with 1.4 and I used wider set of apertures with it. With 1.7 I tend to put camera on tripod and go for maximum sharpness. I think 1.4 also provides best sharpness at f8, but still I often opted to wider apertures for softer bokeh rendition.

If I didn't know the difference of these lenses in the beginning of the month, I think I have grasped now grasped the difference, but can't still say which one is a better lens. In truth I still think these perform pretty close to each other and one can be happy with either one. I think that, if you want a lens for close up bkeh shots or portrait work, go for 1.4. Else go for 1.7. It's better for landscapes and general shooting. Personally I think I stick to 1.7. I don't do much portraits and I do have M85/2, which is even better then 1.4 in its strengths. All this leaves quite a little use for 1.4 in my quiver. Current feeling is that I might sell it after FF round, but there is always a possibility that second round will chance my mind. I'm also eagerly waiting for December SIC with M50/4 macro which has the potential to steel the spot of fifty in my travel kit from 1.7.
Nice summary and photos. I've never been able to decide between the M f/1.7 and /1.4 but the f/1.7 gets more use because it's smaller and lighter and I almost never shoot the f/1.4 wide open anyway.

The M 35mm f/2 got the call yet again for another trip up to the north of Spain, this time to Asturias. What a gorgeous place.


Asturian coast
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


Early morning
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 11-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
11-03-2018, 06:18 AM - 7 Likes   #6971
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,381
An invitation to tea, Ayt Lghazi/Imilchil, Morocco, 1980, Pentax MX, smc Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm, Ilford HP 5 film/ID-11 developer.
Negative copied using Pentax K-1 with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 (crossposted from "Post your B&W Film shots" thread).



11-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #6972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,200
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
An invitation to tea, Ayt Lghazi/Imilchil, Morocco, 1980, Pentax MX, smc Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm, Ilford HP 5 film/ID-11 developer.
Negative copied using Pentax K-1 with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 (crossposted from "Post your B&W Film shots" thread).
That is a great portrait.
11-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #6973
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,381
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That is a great portrait.
Thank you!
11-03-2018, 12:55 PM - 3 Likes   #6974
abw
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 79
I did some headshots yesterday with a bunch of different lenses.
I mainly used the Takumar 85/1.8, Pentax K 50/1.4 and Sony FE 50/1.8 but I also tried a couple of quick shots at the end of the shoot while we were packing up with the SMC Pentax M 50/f4 macro.
I had heard this lens is also really good for portraits and landscapes so I wanted to give it a quick try.

This shot is a SOCC jpeg with no post.
Camera used Sony A7III at SS 1/250, ISO 125, no flash, natural lighting.
11-04-2018, 02:18 AM   #6975
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,342
QuoteOriginally posted by abw Quote
I did some headshots yesterday with a bunch of different lenses.
I mainly used the Takumar 85/1.8, Pentax K 50/1.4 and Sony FE 50/1.8 but I also tried a couple of quick shots at the end of the shoot while we were packing up with the SMC Pentax M 50/f4 macro.
I had heard this lens is also really good for portraits and landscapes so I wanted to give it a quick try.

This shot is a SOCC jpeg with no post.
Camera used Sony A7III at SS 1/250, ISO 125, no flash, natural lighting.
Excellent shot, just a bit too much empty space at the top. I owned the M 50/4 macro for a while but sold it on as I have the A series 50/2.8 macro, but the M had really good image quality.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, background, bokeh, camera, city, colours, contrast, dust, elpolodiablo, flickr, focus, hood, k-5, lens, lenses, light, m50/1.4, park, pentax, pentax lens, photo, picture, pm, post, pp, ps, shot, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 3824 1 Day Ago 11:04 PM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 640 4 Days Ago 05:43 AM
The F Club! jsherman999 Lens Clubs 1057 11-22-2021 03:26 PM
Ltd club, here I come axl Lens Clubs 21 12-12-2010 03:06 AM
In the club again metroeloise Post Your Photos! 4 10-20-2008 08:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top